Somebody Put This Team Out of its Misery | Syracusefan.com

Somebody Put This Team Out of its Misery

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Just end the season now. Desko is going to need to think long and hard about how to fix this mess.

hey... we lost a lot of talent but a major lacrosse powerhouse and major lacrosse contender lays down like a lamb. this season is indeed hard to watch and even harder to explain.

Some encouragement, (this from SU Athletics):
"Syracuse outshot the Irish, 31-21, for the game. The Orange also held the advantage in ground balls (26-24) and faceoffs (9-8)."

No, that's not the same as winning but it seems as if some of our problems may be being addressed.

Just end the season now. Desko is going to need to think long and hard about how to fix this mess.
We out shot and won the second half :)... Think positive my friend. A lot of real young guys are making some significant contributions this year.

Some encouragement, (this from SU Athletics):
"Syracuse outshot the Irish, 31-21, for the game. The Orange also held the advantage in ground balls (26-24) and faceoffs (9-8)."

No, that's not the same as winning but it seems as if some of our problems may be being addressed.

I would look for the close defender transfer if any one is available. We have no one who is a take charge, call the D on the back line and it is killing us. Guys miss the slide, late to the slide, stading around watching while our goaie gets picked apart. A lot of goals are getting scored from 8-5 yds in. That's peeps who don't know the scheme who theyre supposed to be picking up confusion.

On O they better work on their passing and then work it again. This is the worst passing SU team I have ever seen. Sloppy sloppy sloppy. Inexcusable. Turnovers are mind boggling

SU Won 2 crucial FO's at the end and turned them back over to ND on the clear

it's one thing to lose 7 all americans or whatever and expect a drop off but this team fell off a cliff. To my eyes the new crop of kids who were expected to step up are not that skilled and lack lacrosse IQ. When I say not that skilled I'm talking basic fundamentals with passing and catching. Worst fundamental team I've ever seen, they don't even look D1.

Then you add things like consistantly bad decisions, no short stick that has any desire to groundball, the 'team' defense is terrible, the goalie play is terrible (which is frustrating b/c at times we have like 6 goalies on the roster), faceoff guys get beat like a drum every week etc etc.

Last night there was a groundball on SU's side of the field middle of the cage at the top of the box. I watched the 3 SU attackers leave the GB and run to the goal. That left 4 ND defenders fighting one SU guy. Guess who won. The SU guys were cherry picking. We can talk about missing AA talent but it's deeper than that. The past SU players no matter who they were stuck there nose in the pile and came out with ground balls. Shoot SU won a championship as a direct result of hard nosed ground balling. Ground balls is about desire, not being lazy and being tough b/c you know you're going to get the whacked out of ya. We lack character.

From an offensive talent standpoint (fundamentals aside) we look slow, and maybe we're not but we don't have anyone who can create a shot for themselves; this might be what makes us look slow. None of our guys could run by the ND guys guarding them last night. It's very telling. And Desko's offensive scheme is predicated on guys who can create shots for themselves. He better do something because it might be a pipe dream to hope the kids redshirting are going to be better.

it's one thing to lose 7 all americans or whatever and expect a drop off but this team fell off a cliff. To my eyes the new crop of kids who were expected to step up are not that skilled and lack lacrosse IQ. When I say not that skilled I'm talking basic fundamentals with passing and catching. Worst fundamental team I've ever seen, they don't even look D1.

Then you add things like consistantly bad decisions, no short stick that has any desire to groundball, the 'team' defense is terrible, the goalie play is terrible (which is frustrating b/c at times we have like 6 goalies on the roster), faceoff guys get beat like a drum every week etc etc.

Last night there was a groundball on SU's side of the field middle of the cage at the top of the box. I watched the 3 SU attackers leave the GB and run to the goal. That left 4 ND defenders fighting one SU guy. Guess who won. The SU guys were cherry picking. We can talk about missing AA talent but it's deeper than that. The past SU players no matter who they were stuck there nose in the pile and came out with ground balls. Shoot SU won a championship as a direct result of hard nosed ground balling. Ground balls is about desire, not being lazy and being tough b/c you know you're going to get the **** whacked out of ya. We lack character.

From an offensive talent standpoint (fundamentals aside) we look slow, and maybe we're not but we don't have anyone who can create a shot for themselves; this might be what makes us look slow. None of our guys could run by the ND guys guarding them last night. It's very telling. And Desko's offensive scheme is predicated on guys who can create shots for themselves. He better do something because it might be a pipe dream to hope the kids redshirting are going to be better.
2007 was a complete kaka mess also. And, SU won two straight national championships after that. So, Desko has certainly fixed similar disasters. But, to all those who think he is untouchable, I would say that being the head LAX coach at SU is a lot more like being the Manager of the NY Yankees than it is being a regular college coach. You don't get forever to right the ship.

Last night there was a groundball on SU's side of the field middle of the cage at the top of the box. I watched the 3 SU attackers leave the GB and run to the goal. That left 4 ND defenders fighting one SU guy. Guess who won. The SU guys were cherry picking. We can talk about missing AA talent but it's deeper than that. The past SU players no matter who they were stuck there nose in the pile and came out with ground balls. Shoot SU won a championship as a direct result of hard nosed ground balling. Ground balls is about desire, not being lazy and being tough b/c you know you're going to get the **** whacked out of ya. We lack character.

WOW great post, you really hit on most of the issues that have been frustrating me all here. I think you nailed the offensive issues, its like Boehiem trying to run the offense he ran in 03 with Melo with this past years team, it just doesnt work. To many times yesterday Palasek and Morasco tried to go one on one and either got stone walled by the defender or in most cases turned it over. Whats really frightening is that we now have to hope 3-4 red shirt freshman and true freshmen along with 1-2 sophmores can elevate the offense and have us actually scoring double digit goals again. I know myself and Extreme are real high on Grimm, Hatem and Dejohn but theres a lot of concern for next year.

I totally agree on the groundball situation across the board we are not fighting for any, teams are totally outhustling us, lack of Hustle. From what I can see on the offense unless we are unsettled or in transition there is almost no cutting & barely any off ball movement(except Maltz), it is like players do not know where to go, lack of Head (lax IQ) which forces Palasek, Desko & Marasco to force the middle or take it themselves to the cage. More importantly with limited possesion the offense is forced to push the ball to make a play which increases TO's. Maltz cannot be the only offball player MIDDIES NEED TO MOVE as well!! The other concern I see is this teams emotion/passion or lack of, it is hard to see on TV but I have watched games in the Dome this year, I don't see this team pumped from start to finish, on field or sideline, lack of Heart. On the positive side we did come back to score 6 goals in the 2nd half & had the defense not had those 2 key unforced TO's that game could have easily been in our favor. Thursday can be the start of a whole new season for this Orange team!

WOW great post, you really hit on most of the issues that have been frustrating me all here. I think you nailed the offensive issues, its like Boehiem trying to run the offense he ran in 03 with Melo with this past years team, it just doesnt work. To many times yesterday Palasek and Morasco tried to go one on one and either got stone walled by the defender or in most cases turned it over. Whats really frightening is that we now have to hope 3-4 red shirt freshman and true freshmen along with 1-2 sophmores can elevate the offense and have us actually scoring double digit goals again. I know myself and Extreme are real high on Grimm, Hatem and Dejohn but theres a lot of concern for next year.

Yep, I have a lot of conern for next year and am putting a too much hope on the kids I didn't even see play this year. Thing with the 2007 team is I don't recall feeling uneasy about the offense. I felt like there were returning kids who had shown a lot of offensive promise; there was Kenny Nims, Mike Levielle, my fellow Tully mate Dan Hardy were the top 3 scorers on the team; and a couple of others. With this squad I just don't know where the offense is going to come from next year. 3 of the 4 kids who've shown anything all season graduate - Desko, Palasek and Eilers.

I liked what I saw in limited action from Donahue. Something about Schoonmaker I like - his wheels stuck out to me i sort of hope they don't burry him on defense. Could be nice though if we had a couple of defense to offense mids. Maltz has that shot but he needs to get better with the ball in traffic - he's the crease guy after all.

Other than that I'm just not sure what we have. Lecky ? Loy? just don't know. Lecky's going to have to make a huge leap.

One position change I'd do is to move Marasco back down to attack. I said it earlier in the year and I still believe it. He's quick and shifty which gives the longstick fits. And I thought displayed some decent vision and feeding ability. I think he's just better with the ball behind rather than trying to create up top.

It's a little uneasy to go through the roster, look at the kids who played and then think about what you saw from them this season; and project it to next year. Cus it wasn't much and nowhere near do I believe it's going to be a repeat of 2008.

Anybody know the status of Thomas Grimm? He was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school but has not seen any action this year.

It's been a quick fall from the graces of guaranteed final fours.

Losing the region's best players to the likes of Albany and Johns Hopkins, and the state's best to the Virginia's really hurts.

Anybody know the status of Thomas Grimm? He was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school but has not seen any action this year.

Redshirting.

It's been a quick fall from the graces of guaranteed final fours.

Losing the region's best players to the likes of Albany and Johns Hopkins, and the state's best to the Virginia's really hurts.

I know Albany blows but I'm continually amazed and so impressed by the talent of the Thompson brothers. I watched them lose a heartbreaker to Stony Brook the other night but Miles, Ty and Lyle were simply unbelievable. They make some silly mistakes at times because of their carefree style but I can overlook it because they are so good with the ball; their stick skills and moves are just sick, and both Ty and Lyle had ridiculous highlight goals. The 3 of them would've helped the Syracuse offense tremendously. Desko screwed the pooch for not making sure the of them wore Orange.

I know Albany blows but I'm continually amazed and so impressed by the talent of the Thompson brothers. I watched them lose a heartbreaker to Stony Brook the other night but Miles, Ty and Lyle were simply unbelievable. They make some silly mistakes at times because of their carefree style but I can overlook it because they are so good with the ball; their stick skills and moves are just sick, and both Ty and Lyle had ridiculous highlight goals. The 3 of them would've helped the Syracuse offense tremendously. Desko screwed the pooch for not making sure the of them wore Orange.

I am not trying to tarnish these kids reputations, but I heard at least one of them would have had a hard time getting in to Syracuse academically. I also think Ty who is the oldest committed to Albany very early and helped recruit the rest of them. The Albany coach is a good recruiter in CNY.

I certainly have no inside info, but academics may have played a role. On the other hand, I seem to recall a post suggesting that Desko had no interest in the Thompsons. If so, I guess he thought he had better offensive players on his radar. All that being said, he better come up with some offensive super stars from the players who are redshirting or his incoming class or next year won't be any better than this year.

Guys, U Albany's academics standards are no less stringent than Syracuse. Syracuse as a private can let in anyone them darn well please and these kids were eligible by NCAA standards, as athletes, they sure as would've cleared SU admissions.

Guys, U Albany's academics standards are no less stringent than Syracuse. Syracuse as a private can let in anyone them darn well please and these kids were eligible by NCAA standards, as athletes, they sure as **** would've cleared SU admissions.

I cant speak for the admissions standards @ U ALbany but I was told that Myles and Lyle had zero chance of qualifying at SU. Syracuse/Desko never recruited Ty Thompson.

I cant speak for the admissions standards @ U ALbany but I was told that Myles and Lyle had zero chance of qualifying at SU. Syracuse/Desko never recruited Ty Thompson.

I don't doubt the info, but the thing is they were eligible from day 1 at Albany so they met NCAA standards. And when looking at the academics of some of our admitted football and basketball players it's hard to believe they couldn't get by SU admissions. Not to mention they're Native American minorities which has huge sway within admission's offices.

You know the program is in a rebuilding mode when we wish we had some other school's players instead of the ones we've got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom