Somebody's Got Some Explaining to Do | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Somebody's Got Some Explaining to Do

Not for anyone with eyes and an ounce of objectivity.

I dunno go back 25 years and you probably find a ton.

So here is why I'm a PITA on this, it hits home. 2001- a hoops game in NEPA. Top player for the districts top team was running into the locker room, (game is at my HS) has hands out like for a hi five and gets a part of a cheerleaders bottom not top. No one sees it. After the game cheerleader tells the AD of our school. AD says it was accidental I'm sure, he knows the kid and his family. Great kid, good grades has a legit shot at D1 football scholarship.

Fast forward a year. Kid has a scholarship offer to play D1 football. He and two teammates rape and assault a girl at a party. He goes to jail life is over/deeply altered for 4 people. Cheerleader in first part was unharmed and life went on.

Little things are nothings one day and easy chances to teach a lesson other days. So to me take a look make sure it's a nothing burger and move on. Or address it without a huge ordeal and teach a lesson.

Biased view soapbox over.

Last edited:

So here is why I'm a PITA on this, it hits home. 2001- a hoops game in NEPA. Top player for the districts top team was running into the locker room, (game is at my HS) has hands out like for a hi five and gets a part of a cheerleaders bottom not top. No one sees it. After the game cheerleader tells the AD of our school. AD says it was accidental I'm sure, he knows the kid and his family. Great kid, good grades has a legit shot at D1 football scholarship.

Fast forward a year. Kid has a scholarship offer to play D1 football. He and two teammates rape and assault a girl at a party. He goes to jail life is over/deeply altered for 3 people. Cheerleader in first part was unharmed and life went on.

Little things are nothings one day and easy chances to teach a lesson other days. So to me take a look make sure it's a nothing burger and move on. Or address it without a huge ordeal and teach a lesson.

Thanks for the context. Your objections make total sense now

So you agree we need the cheerleaders input. Good. That is my point from the start and thus something you cant take from the video alone unless you are a telepath.

This video being circulated is not a bad thing. It just ensures something like this, if it were more than nothing is addressed.
No you don’t need her input at all. It’s got nothing to do with what happened .. what happened , happened regardless of how the people involved feel about it .

So if he meant to cop a feel and she says it was nothing … then it’s not creepy ?

Conversely..

If it was a total accident but she felt violated… then he’s a criminal ?

Watching the video it is clear he had both arms up walking off the court triumphantly receiving imaginary daps from the imaginary crowd .. one hand grazed the young woman ..

I hope they suspend him though so I can finalize my hatred of the world

Last edited:
I hear you, however a good friend of mine I went to HS is a collegiate cheerleading coach and high level cheer programs are very organized and specific around holding position and form at certain moments. Appeared this was one of those times so it's not easy to try and say what would an average person do if bumped this way.

Fair point. I know nothing about cheerleading so that’s very possible.

Ultimately even after an investigation we’ll likely never know Mathurin’s intent unless he was dumb enough to brag about it to people afterwards.

I hope for his sake, as well as the cheerleaders, that this was an honest mistake (assuming he did make contact with her).

I’m having a hard time seeing where the hit actually lands, if that makes any sense. Looks like he missed the actual boob. And it looks like his fingertips are the only things that hit her.

We live in a strange world when this is our debate of the day.
Social media is all about clickbait.

Fast forward a year. Kid has a scholarship offer to play D1 football. He and two teammates rape and assault a girl at a party. He goes to jail life is over/deeply altered for 3 people. Cheerleader in first part was unharmed and life went on.

I know this wasn’t part of your point from the story, but wasn’t there a fourth person whose life was deeply altered?

Is Quincy still doing his phantom low fives at the FT line or Oregon has teammates there? He should watch out tapping the whole person/body parts!

I know this wasn’t part of your point from the story, but wasn’t there a fourth person whose life was deeply altered?

Yes- busy morning and bad math

It’s an interesting story but means nothing. You can’t conclude that this guy is about to go on a raping spree because of this nor can you say the incident at your HS had any connection whatsoever to the guy later committing a crime.

I mean this happened when the guy is clearly emotionally overwhelmed by the moment and expecting to be touched/make contact with random people non stop until he reaches the locker room.

It’s an interesting story but means nothing. You can’t conclude that this guy is about to go on a raping spree because of this nor can you say the incident at your HS had any connection whatsoever to the guy later committing a crime.

You are missing the reasoning for sharing this. My point was throwing something away because we think it's a nothing burger isn't the way to go. The reason for being a PITA is because I've seen how things that seem nothing can be something and dismissing is not the way to go.

It's an easy simple thing to take a look and make sure.

Last edited:
You are missing the reasoning for sharing this. My point was throwing something away because we think it's a nothing burger isn't the way to go. The reason for being a PITA is because I've seen how things that seem nothing can be something and dismissing is not the way to go.

It's an easy simple thing to take a look and make sure.
This is where a thing called common sense comes in. One look at the video should be all there is to say, "move on. nothing to see here". This should never have been a "story" in any sense of the word.

This is where a thing called common sense comes in. One look at the video should be all there is to say, "move on. nothing to see here". This should never have been a "story" in any sense of the word.
Doesn't his intention matter? If it was intentional, it isn't a nothing burger. If it was an accident, it is.

So you have telepathy? Common sense doesn't apply unless you were there. Hopefully it is a nothing burger. Should be pretty easy to find out. Given its not on ESPN yet, any follow up is being done the right way.

No one is sending the kid to court yet ffs.

The earliest known usage of "nothing burger" comes from Hollywood gossip columnist Louella Parsons in reference to actor Farley Granger's release from Sam Goldwyn's studio MGM.[4] In her June 1st, 1953 article "Louella's Move-Go'Round," she wrote, "After all, if it hadn’t been for Sam Goldwyn Farley might very well be a nothingburger."[1]

Doesn't his intention matter? If it was intentional, it isn't a nothing burger. If it was an accident, it is.
He intentionally tried to touch a stranger where her boob is during celebrating on camera in a highly charged emotional moment for himself and his university?! Why do we think so lowly of ourselves as humans. Sometimes it's just what our eyes tell us it is. Life can be simple, why complicate this thing beyond reality.

So you have telepathy? Common sense doesn't apply unless you were there. Hopefully it is a nothing burger. Should be pretty easy to find out. Given its not on ESPN yet, any follow up is being done the right way.

No one is sending the kid to court yet ffs.
Common Sense exists beyond my physical location. If this gets any exposure I am going to lose faith in our species and its ability to handle reality. Why do we have to sexualize everything. Sometimes a boob or a butt or a package is just at the wrong place at the wrong time. They are all just body parts that exist in time and space and get hit all the time because they simply exist.

Last edited:
but is it still a burger?
950x0.jpg