Someone has found the fountain of youth | Syracusefan.com

Someone has found the fountain of youth

I saw where they had him drafted by the Giants. Texas is in a tough spot, what is worse drafting Johnny Manziel and having him bust or passing and watching him become a bigger star elsewhere, tough choice for BOB. I say Johnny goes #1 as well. I certainly wouldn't take Bridgewater over Manziel but just me.

I saw where they had him drafted by the Giants. Texas is in a tough spot, what is worse drafting Johnny Manziel and having him bust or passing and watching him become a bigger star elsewhere, tough choice for BOB. I say Johnny goes #1 as well. I certainly wouldn't take Bridgewater over Manziel but just me.
With his great defensive mind, he'll make a great OT. He'll always know what the defense is about to do. And with a new coaching staff at Texas, he's probably looking for something to do.

Trade down. Fill more needs.

Believe it or not, the owner of the Texans may draft Clowney. The link to the interview is below.http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...hes-jadeveon-clowney-225207116--nfl.html?vp=1

I feel like the Texans are in almost the exact same situation as when they had the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush dilemma. The freak athlete at defensive end, or the flashy, superstar offensive player who has a Heisman trophy to his name?

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say I fully expect Johnny Football to be, at best, the second best QB in the draft. He may be the first one taken, but I just don't see him being an All-Pro or anything. I think Bridgewater and maybe Bortles have a chance to do that.

jekelish said:
I feel like the Texans are in almost the exact same situation as when they had the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush dilemma. The freak athlete at defensive end, or the flashy, superstar offensive player who has a Heisman trophy to his name? Also, I'm going to go ahead and say I fully expect Johnny Football to be, at best, the second best QB in the draft. He may be the first one taken, but I just don't see him being an All-Pro or anything. I think Bridgewater and maybe Bortles have a chance to do that.
bortles will turn out more like the Blaine gabbert at Jacksonville I think. Johnny will have a Russell Wilson type effect wherever he goes.

bortles will turn out more like the Blaine gabbert at Jacksonville I think. Johnny will have a Russell Wilson type effect wherever he goes.
Don't see that comparison to Wilson at all. Wilson was always a true pro, and mature beyond his years. That's why he's able to command that Seattle team. Johnny Football is a party boy, wild child, who comes off as a spoiled brat sometimes...and while he's a great college player I'm just not sure what to think of him with an NFL contract. It feels like a recipe for disaster.

EDIT: Actually you know what? The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think there's an athlete at Syracuse who could be compared to Russell Wilson. Not the flashiest, or the biggest, or the most athletic, but so mature and smart and mistake free, and just a great leader and a winner. I'm saying of course that the Syracuse basketball team currently has a point guard version of Russell Wilson right now.

Last edited:
jekelish said:
Don't see that comparison to Wilson at all. Wilson was always a true pro, and mature beyond his years. That's why he's able to command that Seattle team. Johnny Football is a party boy, wild child, who comes off as a spoiled brat sometimes...and while he's a great college player I'm just not sure what to think of him with an NFL contract. It feels like a recipe for disaster. EDIT: Actually you know what? The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think there's an athlete at Syracuse who could be compared to Russell Wilson. Not the flashiest, or the biggest, or the most athletic, but so mature and smart and mistake free, and just a great leader and a winner. I'm saying of course that the Syracuse basketball team currently has a point guard version of Russell Wilson right now.
. Bortles won't be a better pro than Johnny IMO. Manziel seems to have grown up since the summer and matured. The kid is a natural leader and someone players gravitate too. Chick fil a bowl the kid willed that team to win. He's fast. Good arm and has football savvy and in the new age of the spread offense and stuff would fit perfectly with a lot of teams. Not many players in pro sports are as professional as Wilson tho.

IHeartSUFball said:
. Bortles won't be a better pro than Johnny IMO. Manziel seems to have grown up since the summer and matured. The kid is a natural leader and someone players gravitate too. Chick fil a bowl the kid willed that team to win. He's fast. Good arm and has football savvy and in the new age of the spread offense would fit perfectly with a lot of teams. Not many players in pro sports are as professional as Wilson tho.

I dont think Wilson is a bad comparison. Manziel might be a little wild off the field but the boy can play some football. He is a leader and players play hard for him. I think he will be good. If he has a foundation around him. He just have to be smart. Russell Wilson is smart when he runs. Doesnt take unecessary shots.

There's no doubt that Johnny Football is a hell of a player, and he can win. But he's immature. It's awfully hard to deny that. He's also small and frail and takes a whole lot of chances with his body, a la Mike Vick. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being good in the NFL, but I'm not expecting it.

There's no doubt that Johnny Football is a hell of a player, and he can win. But he's immature. It's awfully hard to deny that. He's also small and frail and takes a whole lot of chances with his body, a la Mike Vick. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being good in the NFL, but I'm not expecting it.

He's small. That's fine. Other small QBs have done okay. But his game is all about beating people with his speed and athleticism. Great at HS. Great in college. In the NFL, there are lots of fast guys. Lots of athletes. He will have some success early. But multiply his poundings from college to the pros 2x. At his size, his body won't hold up. Vick's didn't. No one's could. He will be spectacular, then he will be one long injury after another. The League is too big, too strong, too fast, for someone like him to thrive for any length of time. Just my opinion obviously.

He's small. That's fine. Other small QBs have done okay. But his game is all about beating people with his speed and athleticism. Great at HS. Great in college. In the NFL, there are lots of fast guys. Lots of athletes. He will have some success early. But multiply his poundings from college to the pros 2x. At his size, his body won't hold up. Vick's didn't. No one's could. He will be spectacular, then he will be one long injury after another. The League is too big, too strong, too fast, for someone like him to thrive for any length of time. Just my opinion obviously.
Actually the best comparison for him would probably be RGIII. And while RGIII has had some spectacular plays, he's gotten beat to hell and we saw what happened this year with the combination of injuries and the league adjusting to his style.

At the same time, it's funny how someone like Rothlisberger has been injured so much. A big guy, and he has had a difficult time holding up to the pounding. Of course, I don't think he is the workout warrior that the NFL really requires these days.

At the same time, it's funny how someone like Rothlisberger has been injured so much. A big guy, and he has had a difficult time holding up to the pounding. Of course, I don't think he is the workout warrior that the NFL really requires these days.
Oddly the reason I think Bridgewater is going to do so well is because he's almost identical in size and athleticism to the guy I think is arguably the best QB in the league right now, and while he's not as accurate he's not far off: Aaron Rodgers. That's why I think Bridgewater is going to wind up being the best of the bunch, he really does strike me as an Aaron Rodgers-type player, at least at the college level. Maybe that's a little out there, but on paper they really feel similar to me.

I'm going to go on record and predict that Bortles will end up being the best QB in this class.

I would take Manziel #1 if you need a qb. Clowney if you need d help

Johnny the 1st QB (and 1st overall) and Teddy only the 3rd QB picked? Find that hard to believe. But dumb things happen.

The Browns are predicted to take another QB? Oh my goodness. Lol I l have to laugh or else I would cry.

EDIT: Oh me = Browns fan.

Last edited:
I never thought this thread would be so serious. I was just goofing on the name that was in the #9 slot.

many here have blocked that name from their consciousness - they just see a jumble of letters at the #9 slot in that link

Yes. It's called GRob dyslexia. It's specific to SU fans from 2005-2008.
No known cure.