Something else overlooked here | Syracusefan.com

Something else overlooked here

CIL

All Conference
as it pertains to the "struggles" of the OL. That's Hickey's injury -- who, according to several accounts, is perhaps our second best OL behind Pugh. A healthy Hickey probably allows Hay to play inside (a more natural position for him) and relieve a struggling Chibane at this point.

I am on record saying the OL isn't nearly as bad as perceived by some. However, I do think the addition of Hickey would have made this unit a real strength. Hopefully he comes back healed next year and ready to play. Young man has a lot of natural talent and moves exceptionally well for a kid his size.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
as it pertains to the "struggles" of the OL. That's Hickey's injury -- who, according to several accounts, is perhaps our second best OL behind Pugh. A healthy Hickey probably allows Hay to play inside (a more natural position for him) and relieve a struggling Chibane at this point.

I am on record saying the OL isn't nearly as bad as perceived by some. However, I do think the addition of Hickey would have made this unit a real strength. Hopefully he comes back healed next year and ready to play. Young man has a lot of natural talent and moves exceptionally well for a kid his size.

Yes, need to get him back for sure

kcsu

Living Legend
what exactly is his lower body injury

Rocco

Watching you.
Believe torn ACL
Yes that is correct.

We really do need him back healthy and ready to go next year. Hopefully Trudo is ready to take over for Macky as well.

orangenauburn

2020 Cali Award Winner, Rcv Yds/TD Rcpts 11 Games
Trudo will probably end up replacing Chibane ... if they land Scelfo, he would be Mackey's future replacement.

OrangeMojo

All Conference

and if Hickey isn't ready to go next year or god forbid has yet another setback with his knee - where do they stand as far as OL strength/weakness next year? is SU SOL if he can't go?

orangenauburn

Next year OL?

Pugh (Curtis / Phillips) / Tiller (Alexander / Foy) / Mackey (Allport / Wolfe-Gould) / Trudo (Chibane / Alexander) / Hickey (Phillips / Robinson)

OrangeMojo

All Conference
Next year OL?

Pugh (Curtis / Phillips) / Tiller (Alexander / Foy) / Mackey (Allport / Wolfe-Gould) / Trudo (Chibane / Alexander) / Hickey (Phillips / Robinson)
I thought this was it for Tiller.

orangenauburn

i did too but then i looked at the syracusefan.com eligibility chart up top left hand side ... according to that we only lose Lepak and Hay off the line

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
Our offensive line should be one of our strongest positions next year :D

OrangeMojo

All Conference
i did too but then i looked at the syracusefan.com eligibility chart up top left hand side ... according to that we only lose Lepak and Hay off the line
this is his third year at SU - I don't see how he could possibly have another year - did he have 4 to play 3 or something?

Cuseman78

All Conference
Tille

Tiller is gone next year

Scooch

Living Legend
Our offensive line should be one of our strongest positions next year :D

Ha. I'm pretty sure I've read this for at least 8 of the past 10 years. And yet...

Noexcuse

Living Legend
Ha. I'm pretty sure I've read this for at least 8 of the past 10 years. And yet...
It's one of those things that if you say it enough times eventually it will come true/

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame

They aren't the 1991 Redskins but they've been solid.

Maybe people's expectations are out of whack.

K

kingottoiii

Tiller is gone.

As to Hickey my question is why wasn't he 1st string before the injury? I figured we would see Hickey start and Hay move to G but that wasn't the case pre injury. So why wasn't Hay getting work at G and Hickey with the 1st team? Then when Hickey went down slide Hay back to T?

Scooch

Living Legend
They aren't the 1991 Redskins but they've been solid.

Maybe people's expectations are out of whack.

I was just joking. It's one of this boards annual traditions... OL gets hyped as being a "strength of the team" and then by week 4 the same people who were hyping it suddenly claim that we're a class or two away from it being a strength.

Later.

Rinse.

Repeat.

RF2044

Living Legend

Along those same lines, hopefully his series of injuries won't prove to be debilitating, or rob him of the attributes that made him an above average OT prospect.

orangenauburn

So, hopefully Chibane really really improves next year, or Foy / Trudo / Alexander supplant him in the depth chart ... otherwise it is:

Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Chibane / Hickey
Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Foy / Hickey
Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Alexander / Hickey

with Phillips, Robinson, Wolfe-Gould, Allport, Curtis also competing
Redshirt Barrett, Palmer, (Scelfo?)
We will need to land some more OL in 2013 class (probably 4 - 6 spots)

OrangeMojo

All Conference
So, hopefully Chibane really really improves next year, or Foy / Trudo / Alexander supplant him in the depth chart ... otherwise it is:

Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Chibane / Hickey
Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Foy / Hickey
Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Alexander / Hickey

with Phillips, Robinson, Wolfe-Gould, Allport, Curtis also competing
Redshirt Barrett, Palmer, (Scelfo?)
We will need to land some more OL in 2013 class (probably 4 - 6 spots)
believe Curtis got some hype this pre-season, so could see him earning a spot for next season if others don't step up

Faegan

All Conference
I think our OL has its issues, but I think it's the best it's been in years. That might speak more to how bad it's been over the last decade than anything else.