Something else overlooked here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Something else overlooked here

Agreed. Just see Curtis as backup / heir apparent to Pugh

Tiller is gone.

As to Hickey my question is why wasn't he 1st string before the injury? I figured we would see Hickey start and Hay move to G but that wasn't the case pre injury. So why wasn't Hay getting work at G and Hickey with the 1st team? Then when Hickey went down slide Hay back to T?

It was only a matter of time before Hickey overtook Hay.

Chibane is struggling? First I've heard of that.

I think they have all struggled at times, but IMO Hay is the weak link, not Chibane. Hay gets beat a lot when passing and when we need a big run we go left.

So, hopefully Chibane really really improves next year, or Foy / Trudo / Alexander supplant him in the depth chart ... otherwise it is:

Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Chibane / Hickey
Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Foy / Hickey
Pugh / Trudo / Macky / Alexander / Hickey

with Phillips, Robinson, Wolfe-Gould, Allport, Curtis also competing
Redshirt Barrett, Palmer, (Scelfo?)
We will need to land some more OL in 2013 class (probably 4 - 6 spots)

So now its Chibane's fault our O stinks? Come on people. Outside of Pugh the other 4 have all had issues this year. And moving in a RS Frosh next year isn't going to fix the issue. The line will have issues until 2013. Then we will have SRs Pugh, Chibane, Mackey, Phillips, and maybe Alexander, RS JR Hickey, RS Sophs Curtis, Trudo, Foy, and Robinson. That should be an experienced OL with a lot of depth. I am not expecting much next year where we will be young, having 2-3 first time starters.

i did not say he stinks -- but there is a pattern of where the pressure comes from (and hay graduates) it is 75% on Hay / Chibane side

So now its Chibane's fault our O stinks? Come on people. Outside of Pugh the other 4 have all had issues this year. And moving in a RS Frosh next year isn't going to fix the issue. The line will have issues until 2013. Then we will have SRs Pugh, Chibane, Mackey, Phillips, and maybe Alexander, RS JR Hickey, RS Sophs Curtis, Trudo, Foy, and Robinson. That should be an experienced OL with a lot of depth. I am not expecting much next year where we will be young, having 2-3 first time starters.

I'm trying to fid where anyone blamed Chibane for the offense's struggles in this post. However, he is the weakest link on the OL right now. It is no secret that he has struggled this year, in fact, a certain someone has alluded to it on this board, someone that is more connected to the staff than any poster here.

i did not say he stinks -- but there is a pattern of where the pressure comes from (and hay graduates) it is 75% on Hay / Chibane side

hay and chibane are on opposite sides.

Opposite sides

i did too but then i looked at the syracusefan.com eligibility chart up top left hand side ... according to that we only lose Lepak and Hay off the line

I thought Tiller was done. He will have completed three years at the conclusin of this season.

I think he's done.

I'm trying to fid where anyone blamed Chibane for the offense's struggles in this post. However, he is the weakest link on the OL right now. It is no secret that he has struggled this year, in fact, a certain someone has alluded to it on this board, someone that is more connected to the staff than any poster here.

I just don't see at all where Chibane is a bigger issue than Hay. Hay gets wasted more than anyone on the line by DL and we always seem to run behind Chibane and Pugh when we need yards on the ground. Also, I see Chibane blocking down a lot either by play design or helping Macky. I just can't imagine Hay not being the wink link. We never say run behind him and he is horrible in pass protection. Either gets beat or holds to a far greater extent than anyone else.

I just don't see at all where Chibane is a bigger issue than Hay. Hay gets wasted more than anyone on the line by DL and we always seem to run behind Chibane and Pugh when we need yards on the ground. Also, I see Chibane blocking down a lot either by play design or helping Macky. I just can't imagine Hay not being the wink link. We never say run behind him and he is horrible in pass protection. Either gets beat or holds to a far greater extent than anyone else.

Agreed -- that's because Hay is much better suited for guard than tackle. His feet are too damn slow. Chibane has been ultra suspect in picking up any line stunts this year.

Look at all the posts in this thread looking to replace Chibane. Rewatch the UL game and you will see more mistakes from Mackey, Tiller, and Hay than Chibane had. I agree that Chibane is struggling but so is everyone else. He may very well be the weakest link, but he is the weakest of several weak links on the OL.

Agreed -- that's because Hay is much better suited for guard than tackle. His feet are too damn slow. Chibane has been ultra suspect in picking up any line stunts this year.

As has Mackey. There have been plenty of times this year where Mackey ends up doubling a pass rusher that he doesn't need to, leaving a man to come free up the middle.

Our OL stinks. Credit the coaches for improving our pass protect overall this year. As well as getting us to run the ball pretty decently. Anyone who thought this OL was a strength of the team preseason was kidding themselves.

I think our OL has its issues, but I think it's the best it's been in years. That might speak more to how bad it's been over the last decade than anything else.

That's not saying much, but agreed.

Right now, are we only able to field 5 [semi] competent linemen in the rotation? Is there even a sixth?

Trudo was a highly rated guy--I imagine he'll be primed to take over for Tiller. It will be interesting to see if Allport / Curtis / Hickey / Alexander give us a viable rotation, whether they can push the starters and / or contend for starting roles.

As has Mackey. There have been plenty of times this year where Mackey ends up doubling a pass rusher that he doesn't need to, leaving a man to come free up the middle.

Our OL stinks. Credit the coaches for improving our pass protect overall this year. As well as getting us to run the ball pretty decently. Anyone who thought this OL was a strength of the team preseason was kidding themselves.

That's for damn sure.

News flash! No one knows how good the o-line will be next year. Also know one knows for sure who will start. You guys don't even have the players on the depth chart correct

I was just joking. It's one of this boards annual traditions... OL gets hyped as being a "strength of the team" and then by week 4 the same people who were hyping it suddenly claim that we're a class or two away from it being a strength.

Later.

Rinse.

Repeat.
exactly. It's the same every year. "next year should be a real strength".

When Marrone came on, that expectation went higher for obvious reasons. OL is still far from a strength with this team.

I appreciate the perspective in cil's original post, but strongly disagree. I believe this OL is not very good and watching this team shows that very clearly IMO.

And that includes compensating for guys lost or playing second option positions.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom