Something going on at UConn? | Syracusefan.com

Something going on at UConn?

texascpa

Living Legend
The Boneyard is posting that there is a meeting being held between UConn and the new BE Commish.

And this from RU's board:

Blitz8RUCrazy
Post #2701
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
Re: UConn board reporting emergency meeting btwn Aresco and UConn Reply
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-in-discussions-with-acc.22722/
Take it for what it's worth.
This is a tweet from a WVU fan:
MHver3@MHver3
Connecticut has been in heavy discussions with The ACC using Cuse as a liaison.

My source still has great connections with the BigEast so since B12 expansion is moving along at a snails pace I give u more BE news.

NBC has (through discreet irish channels) given the BigEast there top dollar. Alas it doesn't beat the ACC per year avg. making more upfront

$16 million yearly for all sports. $11 mil for fb only.
Set amount. Not graduated. 12 years.

In order for ESPN to get the BigEast they will have to pay more than ACC.

Connecticut has been in heavy discussions with The ACC using Cuse as a liaison.

Unsure if any other teams are talking to ACC.

BYU likes $11 million number. As does air force. Expect them to join by the end of the year.

NBC to require a Grant of Rights.
Loss of BE basketball for espn could really increase B12 market penetration btw

Exposure will be great for the Big East.

NBC has the power to deny the ACC any future meaningful expansion.

I know it's hard to believe anything from WVU, especially after The Dude has been such a dud, but thought this was interesting as it references UConn tied to SU.

The thread on the RU board is great, they are so angry and confused why no conference wants them. Gonna be great to check out that board the week before the big SMU showdown.

Yes, Syracuse is all about bringing in UConn with us to the ACC.

Sure thing buddy.

And everyone knows that if a rumor comes from someone in Morgantown it has to be true.

Wouldn't be surprised if UConn was the school referenced in that article the other day about the BE saying they could sue a school.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Let's also consider that BC flipped the out at the idea of UConn coming along, and that it was SU that suggested Pitt.

One moron posts something stupid and everyone runs with it.

Yes, Syracuse is all about bringing in UConn with us to the ACC.

Sure thing buddy.

And everyone knows that if a rumor comes from someone in Morgantown it has to be true.

I agree with you. HOWEVER, let's throw out a few things that may put some credibility behind SU supporting UConn

• SU/UConn have a long athletic history with each other
  • UConn BBall games have brought in big crowds to Carrier Dome
  • ESPN loses a rivalry game by having the two split conferences
  • UConn could help sway the ACC to switch or rotate ACC Championship venue to NY
Of course, most of these I pulled out of my ass. You just never know what the higher ups are thinking or working behind the scenes.

Let's also consider that BC flipped the **** out at the idea of UConn coming along, and that it was SU that suggested Pitt.

One moron posts something stupid and everyone runs with it.

BC is going through a leadership change that may not be as hardset against a UConn membership.

I could see SU wanting another northern school to help balance voting in the ACC.

Wouldn't be surprised if UConn was the school referenced in that article the other day about the BE saying they could sue a school.

That was USF, over a FOI request the BE *didn't* want them to answer.

i could see the acc go on the offensive by taking from bigeast right before there tv negiotiations to get more for acc and take from bigeast.but who would be team 16 if no rutgers?louisville?

That was USF, over a FOI request the BE *didn't* want them to answer.

Ahhh.

The line I don't get (maybe I should say, don't get the most) is 'NBC has the power to deny the ACC any future meaningful expansion."

Am I missing something? What power? By offering enough to keep UConn in the BE?

The line I don't get (maybe I should say, don't get the most) is 'NBC has the power to deny the ACC any future meaningful expansion."

I think it relates to the "Grant of Rights" proposal by the BE. This, in theory, would prevent future poaching.

yeah, I wasn't clear on much of this. I took that to mean that due to the Grant of Rights, that if signed, it would lock up all of the Big East schools for the long term. Oops, you beat me to it RMH.

I think it relates to the "Grant of Rights" proposal by the BE. This, in theory, would prevent future poaching.
yeah, I wasn't clear on much of this. I took that to mean that due to the Grant of Rights, that if signed, it would lock up all of the Big East schools for the long term.
Ah, right. That makes sense (or at least as much sense as the rest of the post made). Thanks, guys.

Timing makes sense though, tell them you are leaving before you have to sign the grant of rights.

Timing makes sense though, tell them you are leaving before you have to sign the grant of rights.
Yeah, it forces the hand of the conferences and any school that is not in a conference that they want to be in on the long term.

What's the worst thing you compete as an indy until everything shakes out or in there case be the big dog in the MAC not too much difference than the Beast.

Not sure which part I find more absurd: the notion that we would help UConn, or that NBC graciously decided to "give the Big East there (sic) top dollar." Negotiating 101 folks! Always lead off with the maximum amount you're willing to pay! No wonder everyone in West Virginia lives in trailer parks. With negotiating skills like that, I doubt any of them can afford to buy a house. In fact, the only part of those tweets I believe is that the poster is a WVU fan, based on on his delightfully incorrect use of there/their.

SU/UConn have a long athletic history with each other

Maybe in basketball, but that's about it. The first time we played them in football was less than eight years ago. Also, they don't have a men's lax team for us to play, and we don't have a men's baseball or hockey team for them to play. That's putting a lot of eggs in the basket of a single sport (hoops), especially when much of our interest in that "rivalry" is based on disdain for a coach that will probably be gone in a year or two.

If there is something to this, there has to be an ND tie-in. I can't see the ACC taking only UConn to essentially "finish off" the Big East and get to the awkward number of 15. At the same time, I have no doubt that ESPN is pushing hard for the BE to be weakened/destroyed prior to signing the TV deal, with numbers being leaked from NBC, and they may wield so much power that the ACC would play along.

The biggest takeaway from that thread, and the other recent ACC expansion thread on that board, is how bat insane that fanbase has become. Most want to stay in a Big East that includes SMU and San Diego St. over a conference of UNC, Virginia, FSU and Maryland. That board is starting to make the West Virginia board seem rational.

Ugh ignore anything from that guy he is a total fraud. He guaranteed PSU getting kicked out of the B1G and that UVA was replacing them. It was a done deal. When PSU didn't get kicked out this guy disappeared for 2 weeks. Then he came back with his usual made up stories.

The only thing going on at uconn is wishful thinking.

What do you mean? This is serious stuff! It's definite that BYU and Air Force were told of NBC's max offer for BE football and signed on. And that NBC will pay $11M to any progam that wants in. This is totally how this works! DONE DEAL!!!