Something not talked about | Syracusefan.com

Something not talked about

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
In Dino's 1st 3 years, we had a physical presence at WR-AET, Ish, Custis, even Devin Butler (though he didn't have the hands). This helped our blocking and was helpful in the red zone. This year, all our outside receivers look extremely skinny and often look like they're getting bullied. You saw it with the attempted fade to Harris in the end zone.
Would love to see if Cam Jordan, RTB, or even Mital can give us something, even if just as a changeup.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the physical size difference, definitely makes a difference, even for the running game. Butler was a great blocker.

A poster I respect as much as anyone on here said WR's were open far more than some posts make it seem. There were open people to throw to. Now, that is not meant as a knock to TD at all. If you're constantly being pressured by blitzes that impacts what you see on the field. I'm only pointing out that maybe the WR corp isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be this week. You can't always see the whole field watching on TV and you don't always notice things watching at the dome because it's just a different environment.

Our best skilled position blocker from what i’ve heard is Moe.

I would love if the staff gave more vertical receivers like Queeley and Jordan a shot. Or rangey guys like Sharod.

I highly doubt Mital’s even close to being ready to step into the offense

In Dino's 1st 3 years, we had a physical presence at WR-AET, Ish, Custis, even Devin Butler (though he didn't have the hands). This helped our blocking and was helpful in the red zone. This year, all our outside receivers look extremely skinny and often look like they're getting bullied. You saw it with the attempted fade to Harris in the end zone.
Would love to see if Cam Jordan, RTB, or even Mital can give us something, even if just as a changeup.
Not picking but fades look like that and u have to realize that ball should be su player to sideline. Throw the ball where 1 guy can get it or it’s out and it wasn’t there. He will get it though without a doubt. As Dino has said in a presser he has pushed devito to thread the ball in tight spots. When no separation throw your receiver open.

Another thing not spoken about enough is DeVito’s height. He is 6-1 which is not optimal height for a QB. Especially if you are a “pocket passer.”

Joe Montana is 6’2”. So is McNabb. Did that inch make that much of a difference?

I heard devito is 6’1.111111_ inches actually. I think he just makes the height requirements for the “pocket passer” ride

Drew Brees says hi!

What a pointless comment. That's like saying don't ever trade 6th rd picks because you might get Tom Brady out of it!

What a pointless comment. That's like saying don't ever trade 6th rd picks because you might get Tom Brady out of it!

Um, he was just the first one I thought of right off the top of my head.
If I cared enough to research it, I'm sure I could come up with many more.

He's HARDLY the exception that proves the rule, when it comes to QB height (or lack thereof) and success.

The only pointless comment here, is yours. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
NFL just did a study on this, boys. Shorter QB's actually had less passes batted at line than taller QB's.
if height matters, it matters to whether the receivers see the ball coming

tall qbs have to throw the ball over monsters with their arms up too. everyone needs lanes

if you are going to be short and play in the NFL you need to be pretty good.. pretty good QBs usually are better. lots of avg tall NFL QBs

Like Millhouse says did they just study the passes are the whole package of the throw.. I could throw all day and never get a pass tipped, they might all be incomplete though

Our WRs size is very noticeable, yes we have had some Tall ones but none with meat on their bones!

Look att he Harmon kid from last year at NC State, the ND WRs look like TE and the Clemson kid Higgins is a tank.

I don't know where they find these guys but we need to recruit in those circles...

if you are going to be short and play in the NFL you need to be pretty good.. pretty good QBs usually are better. lots of avg tall NFL QBs

Like Millhouse says did they just study the passes are the whole package of the throw.. I could throw all day and never get a pass tipped, they might all be incomplete though
good point - selection bias. the only short qbs that get to play are great.

defenses are changing too. much like chip's weekends, teams are putting more emphasis toward swatting balls with their hands instead of throwing their whole bodies towards sacks.

I'm more worried about the WRs catching the football than I am about how physical they are.

How long with Dino keep Harris in if the drops aren't fixed.

good point - selection bias. the only short qbs that get to play are great.

defenses are changing too. much like chip's weekends, teams are putting more emphasis toward swatting balls with their hands instead of throwing their whole bodies towards sacks.
You really put some effort into that.

So the NFL analysis doesn't count because the QB's with less height are pretty good?

Devito doesn't need to be 6'3" to be successful