Something to keep in mind perspective wise | Syracusefan.com

Something to keep in mind perspective wise

Orangezoo

In the wind
Now that we are in the acc we have been upping the level of comp on the schedule quite a bit. Given the old ways of the big east and then having the year with ennis it is easy to fall into the pattern of expecting 13-0 going into the conference slate. We just played 4 straight games against competition that may all be ranked at some point this season or likely be ncaa tourney teams. As SU fans that is usually something reserved for in conference in the old big east. So 6-2 is a bit different at this point in the season than our instincts normally would tell us. Of course the clear weaknesses and areas needing improvement are evident and need work but i can live with these being something to solve for now vs being exposed halfway into conference play. We always see a big name or 3 pinned with a couple early losses and think they might be in for a rough season and then all the sudden the ship is turned around and then there they are in the mix in late march. Lots of time for us with some good wins and no bad losses (of course wisc and gtown could change that but from the looks of the hoyas this year and knowing bo ryan i would expect both to get things rolling).

Both Georgetown and Wisc will be in the tourney. I have no idea how gt lost to Radford, and as much as I'll always hate them, they're a very good team.

Now that we are in the acc we have been upping the level of comp on the schedule quite a bit. Given the old ways of the big east and then having the year with ennis it is easy to fall into the pattern of expecting 13-0 going into the conference slate. We just played 4 straight games against competition that may all be ranked at some point this season or likely be ncaa tourney teams. As SU fans that is usually something reserved for in conference in the old big east. So 6-2 is a bit different at this point in the season than our instincts normally would tell us. Of course the clear weaknesses and areas needing improvement are evident and need work but i can live with these being something to solve for now vs being exposed halfway into conference play. We always see a big name or 3 pinned with a couple early losses and think they might be in for a rough season and then all the sudden the ship is turned around and then there they are in the mix in late march. Lots of time for us with some good wins and no bad losses (of course wisc and gtown could change that but from the looks of the hoyas this year and knowing bo ryan i would expect both to get things rolling).
Something else to keep in mind, if we are on the bubble, we aren't getting in.

Something else to keep in mind, if we are on the bubble, we aren't getting in.
you mean we are one of those 3 schools in the country that has to pray they others expect to get in?

a. you are calling out our normal schedule and legitimizing everything that others have said about it
b. wisconsin aint going to be ranked this season.

a. you are calling out our normal schedule and legitimizing everything that others have said about it
b. wisconsin aint going to be ranked this season.

A- no i am pointing out the differences between now and previously. The big east schedule was so intense that having a less daunting slate early on was justified. Additionally the majority of our rivalries existed within conference so we did not have a typical sparring partner or 4 ooc. Currently the acc is still weaker top to bottom than the old BE despite getting better. We also have started bringing back old rivalries to boost the non conf. So its a more balanced schedule not harder or backloaded.

B- wisconsin was already ranked and even in down years prev wisc has bounced back. They had an awful ooc slate a few years ago to then go crazy in conf.

I don't think our schedule is too hard this year, we just aren't as good as we're used to.

Read my response to atl.. i am not saying its harder its just been more difficult up to this point as it was last year to some extent as well. This board likes to hit the panic button at loss 2 or 3 which we are conditioned to see in jan not nov which is due to the balance of the schedule and a tougher non conf slate not the sign the sky is falling. Lots of time to work out some kinks and improve. More bumps toncome as well.

hit the button

nose-dive-plane-in-ground.jpg

A- no i am pointing out the differences between now and previously. The big east schedule was so intense that having a less daunting slate early on was justified. Additionally the majority of our rivalries existed within conference so we did not have a typical sparring partner or 4 ooc. Currently the acc is still weaker top to bottom than the old BE despite getting better. We also have started bringing back old rivalries to boost the non conf. So its a more balanced schedule not harder or backloaded.

B- wisconsin was already ranked and even in down years prev wisc has bounced back. They had an awful ooc slate a few years ago to then go crazy in conf.

A. No, this ACC schedule is just as daunting. And had ZERO bearing on our preseason schedule. You specifically called out out our previous preseason schedules as have many and you just justified them in your opinion. there is NO backing away from that in any way. That is what you did.
b. the wisconsin team is not a good team.

I'll bet you they finish in top half of B1G and make the tourney

top half of big ten and making tourney does not equal a 'good' team.

you want to bet they win 27 game and/or ranked in top 15 from here on out, Im in for that bet.

I don't think our schedule is too hard this year, we just aren't as good as we're used to.

The timing of the schedule was lousy, we should not be playing Gtown right after Wisc.

lol at your criteria for "good" team :rolleyes:

you think a "good" team is anything in the top half of big 10?

and my criteria was how I would accept a bet, not what makes a good team.

you think a "good" team is anything in the top half of big 10?

and my criteria was how I would accept a bet, not what makes a good team.

Wisconsin is the 5th best team in the BiG according to Kenpom. They've finished in the top four every year under Ryan. The only teams I know that are better than them in that conference are Mich St. And Maryland, possibly Purdue. Ryan finds a way for his team to win 11 or 12 games in that conference every year. He's the opposite of Tom Crean. Wisconsin isn't aesthetically pleasing, but I'd guess they are better than you think.

Last edited:
Wisconsin is the 5th best team in the BiG according to Kenpom. They've finished in the top four every year under Ryan. The only teams I know that are better than them in that conference are Mich St. And Maryland, possibly Purdue. Ryan finds a way for his team to win 11 or 12 games in that conference every year. He's the opposite of Tom Crean. Wisconsin isn't aesthetically pleasing, but I'd guess they are better than you think.
How the hell does Ryan find these tall, good centers (Kaminski and Happ) who can rebound and score? And Happ is a freshman, for Christ's sake. Seems Wisky ALWAYS has a strong front court. When you can score and rebound, you can slow down the game. He may not be stylish, and some here dislike him, but Ryan is a good coach...in my eyes, anyway.

How the hell does Ryan find these tall, good centers (Kaminski and Happ) who can rebound and score? And Happ is a freshman, for Christ's sake. Seems Wisky ALWAYS has a strong front court. When you can score and rebound, you can slow down the game. He may not be stylish, and some here dislike him, but Ryan is a good coach...in my eyes, anyway.

I think Wisconsin does a really good job developing players for the college level. Happ redshirted last year as a three star kid, so technically this is his second year. When he signed with Wisconsin he was 175 pounds. He came in at the same height as Lydon weighing less than Lydon does currently, and gained 30 lbs since last year.

I think Wisconsin does a really good job developing players for the college level. Happ redshirted last year as a three star kid, so technically this is his second year. When he signed with Wisconsin he was 175 pounds. He came in at the same height as Lydon weighing less than Lydon does currently, and gained 30 lbs since last year.
Good report. Thank you. Yep, Ryan knows how to select. Hopefully Lydon can do the same. BTW, did Happ get taller, too? What is his height?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom