Song to break out of tunnel to pump everyone up... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Song to break out of tunnel to pump everyone up...

Collaborating with Rony Seikaly? Citing "Shut It Down" as an example of a song to get people engaged and pumped up?

I honestly wasn't sure if your post was serious or not?
It's called brainstorming. Definition: throwing out ideas on a topic sometimes not even coherent, there are no bad ideas bc often it is those that spark the greatest solutions.
Shut it down was an example of a song that was produced by someone affiliated with SU athletics.
Rony seikaly is an alumn with experience in music.
What's funny? I honestly am glad I made you laugh. One of my motivations to post here

Last edited:
It's called brainstorming. Definition: throwing out ideas on a topic sometimes not even coherent, there are no bad ideas bc often it is those that spark the greatest solutions.
Shut it down was an example of a song that was produced by someone affiliated with SU athletics.
Rony seikaly is an alumn with experience in music.
What's funny? I honestly am glad I made you laugh. One of my motivations to post here
This topic always drives a couple posters nuts who feel it has to be a hip hop song that 90% of those in attendance at a game will have zero familiarity with.

If you're going to use an intro song it has to be something that people from different backgrounds and perspectives will at least be familiar with.

It's going to have to be something that was somewhat mainstream at some point in the last twenty years.

This topic always drives a couple posters nuts who feel it has to be a hip hop song that 90% of those in attendance at a game will have zero familiarity with.

If you're going to use an intro song it has to be something that people from different backgrounds and perspectives will at least be familiar with.

It's going to have to be something that was somewhat mainstream at some point in the last twenty years.

It’s really hard to find the right song with broad enough appeal to work. No way a song that a huge percentage of the crowd has no familiarity with works - regardless if it’s hip-hop or something like Born to Run (which, possibly to the surprise of many here, most students have probably never heard). It’s probably hardest in football as well since that sport has a broader appeal than basketball, baseball, or hockey.

I think often it’s just timing and luck, and teams blunder into the answer - IIRC USC played Sandstorm right near the end of a huge upset of a top 5 Florida team - before a defensive stop which effectively clinched the win. From there it took off fairly organically. “Jump Around” at Wisconsin should have been a one year thing, but the school didn’t play it for one game due to concerns the stadium couldn’t handle people…uh - jumping around. That enraged the students so much it led them down a path where it’s iconic and linked to the school now.

The problem for Syracuse isn’t that the school has struggled to come up with good ideas for fan engagement things like an entrance song - no school or sports team does that well. It not the kind of thing you can “workshop”. The problem is anything which starts to develop organically either doesn’t get support to grow from the school, or they squash it like a bug and kill it.

The fight song exists for entirely this reason. If we want to give it a refresh, I am on board, but there should not be another song “to break out of the tunnel” with. What leads up to that is another matter. Many here have tried and failed to gain any kind of consensus.

Once upon a time people on this board were saying to can an ancient "Welcome To The Jungle" at kickoff.

Now we want to run out to a song that's even older.
Sesame Street Idk GIF

How about Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass?

Since it’s a dome and they can make it dark with the lights no matter the time of the game, they should user the Undertaker’s entrance from wwe. It’s the most electric entrance in all of sports.

This is objectively wrong. Glass Shatters with Stone Cold is the best entrance music.

I think the fans need to be familiar with the song to get the full effect.
I think SU should license Born to Run. It works for FB, both BB teams and lacrosse teams. The great SU teams are about run and gun.
For FB, just having great runs up on the screen: Brown, Little, Davis… Joe Morris opening KO in the Dome, not to mention Dar Dar and Missle’s many returns, Micheal Owen’s, Rob Moore fly pattern vs PSU, etc.
That would get the crowd pumped up

I think the fans need to be familiar with the song to get the full effect.
I think SU should license Born to Run. It works for FB, both BB teams and lacrosse teams. The great SU teams are about run and gun.
For FB, just having great runs up on the screen: Brown, Little, Davis… Joe Morris opening KO in the Dome, not to mention Dar Dar and Missle’s many returns, Micheal Owen’s, Rob Moore fly pattern vs PSU, etc.
That would get the crowd pumped up.
If it's "Born to Run" then I will give up my tickets!

This is objectively wrong. Glass Shatters with Stone Cold is the best entrance music.
Was between that and undertaker. Thought undertaker could be cooler for this discussion since they could do something cool with the lights in the dome. Would be more than ok if it was stone colds entrance instead

The fight song exists for entirely this reason. If we want to give it a refresh, I am on board, but there should not be another song “to break out of the tunnel” with. What leads up to that is another matter. Many here have tried and failed to gain any kind of consensus.

This is probably the most viable starting point.

I took my kids to Kung Fu Panda 4 yesterday (really good movie, btw) - for one scene they had the tune from Crazy Train playing for a scene but completely remade in a different style. It’s very doable to take the fight song, redo it in a way that is fresher but still recognizable, and use that. It might not be fantastic or the long term solution - but it’s unlikely to be an abject failure right out of the gate.

Definitely agree, we need a “moment” to cause something to catch on

One of the issues is, anytime we’ve tried to start something, in the past we’ve generally lost the game.

It’s also important for Syracuse to get out of the same script for every single game. It appears to me a lot that they have no pulse on what’s occurring in the game.

I’m hoping that we see a change of that in this season and things become less scripted. Fran Brown is going to notice the atmosphere and want to change it.

Build up and then everybody scream at the :38 mark.

My opinion is just go with a good song, even if another place uses the same one. Honestly who cares? It's about the energy, not the uniqueness. If people need unique an element is we are doing it in a dome and doubling the decibels. :cool:

Since it’s a dome and they can make it dark with the lights no matter the time of the game, they should user the Undertaker’s entrance from wwe. It’s the most electric entrance in all of sports.
Except it doesn't get dark except for night games. And that's if the SU brass realize they should dim the strobing ribbon boards.

Full disclaimer I am a forty year old out of touch white guy

Get Low - Lil Jon

Mr Bright side - The Killers

Get ur Freak On - Missy Elliott

Empire State of Mind - Jay Z

Jesus Walks - Kanye

Hot in Herrre - Nelly
I'd like to see Empire State of Mind played postgame after wins. It's not really a 'hype' song, but it's a great song people can sing along to for the chorus and is a good vibes song. I know it's about NYC, but we're the marquee NY team in the state.

A lot of you are showing your age in this thread. Just let the students decide.

Agree a lot of people are showing their age - but “let the students decide” is a horrible solution. Students make up what - a fifth of the crowd? Maybe a quarter at most. It has to be something with broad appeal. Should it be something students have a stake in? Sure - but they are not and cannot be the sole decision makers in something with a whole lot more stakeholders. And the idea that somehow a hip-hop song 90% of the crowd has never heard is going to be popularized solely by a student section that wanted it makes me question if those proposing it have any familiarity with actual human behavior.

Great way to enhance a “town vs gown” mentality and terrible crowd dynamic - which is the exact opposite of the supposed goal.

It’s really hard to find the right song with broad enough appeal to work. No way a song that a huge percentage of the crowd has no familiarity with works - regardless if it’s hip-hop or something like Born to Run (which, possibly to the surprise of many here, most students have probably never heard). It’s probably hardest in football as well since that sport has a broader appeal than basketball, baseball, or hockey.

I think often it’s just timing and luck, and teams blunder into the answer - IIRC USC played Sandstorm right near the end of a huge upset of a top 5 Florida team - before a defensive stop which effectively clinched the win. From there it took off fairly organically. “Jump Around” at Wisconsin should have been a one year thing, but the school didn’t play it for one game due to concerns the stadium couldn’t handle people…uh - jumping around. That enraged the students so much it led them down a path where it’s iconic and linked to the school now.

The problem for Syracuse isn’t that the school has struggled to come up with good ideas for fan engagement things like an entrance song - no school or sports team does that well. It not the kind of thing you can “workshop”. The problem is anything which starts to develop organically either doesn’t get support to grow from the school, or they squash it like a bug and kill it.
This is all correct in my opinion. Outside of what you've mentioned above, very few additional schools have a longstanding tradition for the pregame entrance song. We see VT so much being in the same league as them for most of the last 30 years when they started doing Enter Sandman. South Carolina is the only other pregame one that comes to mind. Wisconsin, Michigan and Florida have the pre-4th quarter ones.

Would it be great to have something that is ours and fans rally behind? Of course. But very few schools have truly accomplished this well and like you mentioned, it can't be forced by the school. Has to be something that the fans embrace and make their own. The Hells Bells intro on third down is something that they've done for a long time that I like. It's not in the same breath as Virginia Tech, Wisconsin or South Carolina's entrances. But it's something that gets the fans into it.

I actually love the play on Empire State of Mind

Think that could be used, at some point, during the games

If it builds, could it become an entrance song? I think it actually could

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors