Sources: Thunder, Carmelo Anthony to part ways this summer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sources: Thunder, Carmelo Anthony to part ways this summer

Houston would just be OKC redux in terms of his role as a stand-on-the-perimeter shooter.
On offense, yes. On defense, he won't have to guard PFs, which was the biggest factor in his decline over the course of last season. He was as effective as Westbrook and George early on. I think he fits in well with Houston's defensive scheme, where he can switch instead of dealing with screens.

If he goes to the Rockets, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with how well he plays and fits in.

On offense, yes. On defense, he won't have to guard PFs, which was the biggest factor in his decline over the course of last season. He was as effective as Westbrook and George early on. I think he fits in well with Houston's defensive scheme, where he can switch instead of dealing with screens.

If he goes to the Rockets, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with how well he plays and fits in.
I’m starting to come around to Houston being his best fit. It checks all his boxes - Starting - Minutes - Contender - Banana Boat, and Houston, let’s face it, they’re in win now mode during the height of the GSW reign and they need to swing for the fences.

CP3
Harden
Melo
Tucker
Capela

That’s a heck of a lineup if Melo has anything at all left in the tank.

I’m starting to come around to Houston being his best fit. It checks all his boxes - Starting - Minutes - Contender - Banana Boat, and Houston, let’s face it, they’re in win now mode during the height of the GSW reign and they need to swing for the fences.

CP3
Harden
Melo
Tucker
Capela

That’s a heck of a lineup if Melo has anything at all left in the tank.
Melo hasn’t played the 3 At all in last couple years

I think Melo sharing the ball with LeBron will be a bad combination.

I see Brooklyn.

It will not be Brooklyn.
There’s no contract to cut.
He could actually help them win games when they desperately need a high pick to go with two max contract slots next year.

Melo hasn’t played the 3 At all in last couple years

He played mostly SF in his last few years with the Knicks. I can't find the minutes breakdown for 2016-17, but I know 91% of his minutes were at SF in 2015-16.

edit: Found it

12-13: SF-18% PF-78%
13-14: SF-38% PF-62%
14-15: SF-79% PF-21%
15-16: SF-91% PF-8%
16-17: SF-69% PF-31%
17-18: SF-0% PF-90%

Last edited by a moderator:
He played mostly SF in his last few years with the Knicks. I can't find the minutes breakdown for 2016-17, but I know 91% of his minutes were at SF in 2015-16.

edit: Found it

12-13: SF-18% PF-78%
13-14: SF-38% PF-62%
14-15: SF-79% PF-21%
15-16: SF-91% PF-8%
16-17: SF-69% PF-31%
17-18: SF-0% PF-90%
He’s not a 3 anymore.

He’s not a 3 anymore.
He and PJ Tucker could be interchangeable. Melo can play the 4 on offense while defending the 3 or 4 on defense as Tucker can take the more difficult of the two matchups.

He and PJ Tucker could be interchangeable. Melo can play the 4 on offense while defending the 3 or 4 on defense as Tucker can take the more difficult of the two matchups.
Melo can’t guard the perimeter anymore.
He’s probably the worst pick and roll player
In the league. He can’t switch at all.

Melo can’t guard the perimeter anymore.
He’s probably the worst pick and roll player
In the league. He can’t switch at all.
His analytics on the season for switching defense was actually middle of the pack. I saw an article on NBA Reddit showing Melo isn't a terrible defender, especially in the defense Houston plays. If I can find it, ill post it.

Melo will be effective elsewhere. Westbrook’s a blackhole for surrounding talent

Westbrook had nothing to do with Melo flaming out in OKC. That is on Donovan who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag at the NBA level. He made Melo a catch and shoot player instead of utilizing his strengths. Melo should have been playing down on the block where he could use his iso ability to take 4s and 5s off the dribble or stretch the floor in the mid range. With two ball dominant guards on the perimeter, Melo also couldn't be out there.

Westbrook had nothing to do with Melo flaming out in OKC. That is on Donovan who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag at the NBA level. He made Melo a catch and shoot player instead of utilizing his strengths. Melo should have been playing down on the block where he could use his iso ability to take 4s and 5s off the dribble or stretch the floor in the mid range. With two ball dominant guards on the perimeter, Melo also couldn't be out there.

Donovan is a horrific NBA coach, IMO. I think this will be his last year at OKC

His analytics on the season for switching defense was actually middle of the pack. I saw an article on NBA Reddit showing Melo isn't a terrible defender, especially in the defense Houston plays. If I can find it, ill post it.

This. He consistently gets pegged as the worst of the worst, but he's been just below average on defense for most of his career.

I watched probably 60 Thunder games. Analytics are fine but watch his play. His defense on the perimeter is awful. His defense in a switch situation is non existent. He’s too slow to play on the perimeter defensively. He’s actually decent in the post.

I think harden has improved, at least a little. He lead the Rockets in minutes played, and they were 6th in the league in defense. Granted, the Rockets were better defensively when he sat; I'm not saying he's even good, but if he was truly bottom of the barrel, not sure the Rockets could be so good defensively.

I would defer to the more advanced metrics though

I would guess Houston is the most likely destination, but Miami and Philly are kinda interesting too. They can probably offer more of a role than Houston or the Lakers can while still being a playoff team.

I would guess Houston is the most likely destination, but Miami and Philly are kinda interesting too. They can probably offer more of a role than Houston or the Lakers can while still being a playoff team.
Philly would be really good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom