Southerland appeal update...sort of... | Syracusefan.com

Southerland appeal update...sort of...

Jake

Mod
My understanding is that a decision has not been made. So we can rule out the possibility that he won and we are keeping it a secret, or that he's been denied and we aren't saying anything.

There simply has not been a decision rendered yet. I know its not much of an update, but it kinda, sorta is.

I would guess that rules him out for St. John's. Doesn't seem likely that they are going to go home on Friday without rendering a decision and then reconvene over the weekend in a blizzard in order to do so by 3pm on Sunday.

My understanding is that a decision has not be made. So we can rule out the possibility that he won and we are keeping it a secret, or that he's been denied and we aren't saying anything.

There simply has been a decision rendered yet. I know its not much of an update, but it kinda, sorta is.

Thanks sorta any time line if you had a guess

My understanding is that a decision has not be made. So we can rule out the possibility that he won and we are keeping it a secret, or that he's been denied and we aren't saying anything.

There simply has been a decision rendered yet. I know its not much of an update, but it kinda, sorta is.
Any idea what the hold up is.
a) They haven't voted yet
b) They voted and it was a tie (although if they have an odd amount, this might be impossible)
c) They need further info
d) They are world class DB's and just want to prolong it.

I'm gonna be optimistic and say it's a good thing it's taking a while. They're thinking about it at least, better than a quick hammer.

No news is not bad news.

Probably sucks for him more than us. Imagine having your senior season hanging on one decision and you're left wondering for unknown number of days.

Dude is a nice/quiet guy so hopefully it doesn't emotionally mess him up.

Well that's peachy. Just another game we gotta hear announcers talk about Southerland and academic suspension and Fab Melo and academic suspension and recent resignations investigations and shop lifting and Bernie Fine and...oh the snow in Syracuse. Gee do they ever say about a game at a Big Ten/ SEC / Big 12 etc site "well at least there are no tornado warnings tonight!".

If they want to run their decision by the NCAA, we might wait for weeks. I would think if they ruled against Southerland, they wouldn't need to check with the NCAA. The only reason they might check is so that we don't have another FAB situation where the NCAA ruled him ineligible later. Just speculating!

well if this isnt black and white...not being politically incorrect...it would seem that Dirty is going to be found innocent with prejudice...can't play until the BE tournament or something...someone should take the judicial board aside and let them know that the manner in which they are doing this violates not only Dirty's but our rights..a reasonable time for sentencing or release...perhaps an injunction against the school is in order...the problem with the judicial board is that as this decision shows the board is not relevant to settling disagreements...perhaps Dirty should be playing until these legal scholars determine a decision...I call BS..

I find it hard to believe that if he is found anything less than Hannibal-Lechter-guilty that his 6-7 game time-served suspension won't be enough.

wonder why people drag their feet so much. After the hearing I'd imagine your decision would be made... is this unanimous?

Ridicurous.

images

I think you guys are mixing two things. IMO - The initial decision that the academic judicial panel has to make has zero to do with the NCAA and does not require their opinion, nor would it even seek it. If there is a hold up that involves the NCAA it is because the panel did render a decision and the SUAD is seeking the NCAA's opinion on whether they will give us further difficulties if we reinstate and allow James to play based on whatever decision was rendered.

My experience with this, many years ago, is that there is a WRITTEN decision. That takes time,

I think you guys are mixing two things. IMO - The initial decision that the academic judicial panel has to make has zero to do with the NCAA and does not require their opinion, nor would it even seek it. If there is a hold up that involves the NCAA it is because the panel did render a decision and the SUAD is seeking the NCAA's opinion on whether they will give us further difficulties if we reinstate and allow James to play based on whatever decision was rendered.
You gotta think this is bullshit...if that is the case, than the NCAA should have been consulted weeks ago...period.

wonder why people drag their feet so much. After the hearing I'd imagine your decision would be made... is this unanimous?

I am curious about this too. Wish my wife were here to provide insight.

The cheating she has dealt with, albeit non athletes, seems to be handled much more quickly.

The speculation that we have to run our process by the NCAA makes some sense to me. However I would certainly hope that is not the case.

One would think the committee could fast track this.

You gotta think this is bullshit...if that is the case, than the NCAA should have been consulted weeks ago...period.

Yeah. They are not vetting this through the NCAA at this point. Everyone involved is aware of all aspects of the appeal.

IMHO, the panel is just working at its normal pace. They simply don't want to be viewed as making a snap judgment no matter their decision. If they deny the appeal, they don't want James to feel like his appeal wasn't taken seriously, if they grant the appeal they don't want to appear as a rubber stamp.

Gonna guess we'll hear Monday or Tuesday as I doubt they do weekend work.

Also want to add that I firmly believe James appeal was vetted through the NCAA prior to it being filed. I don't think anyone wants a repeat of last year where melo was ruled ineligible for the NCAA tourney.

swish, is that dog in the avatar of yours at the top of Tinker's Falls just South of Apulia?

I wanted to ask this for a while now, and inserting a pointless aside in this thread seems like a great idea...

Yeah. They are not vetting this through the NCAA at this point. Everyone involved is aware of all aspects of the appeal.

IMHO, the panel is just working at its normal pace. They simply don't want to be viewed as making a snap judgment no matter their decision. If they deny the appeal, they don't want James to feel like his appeal wasn't taken seriously, if they grant the appeal they don't want to appear as a rubber stamp.

Also want to add that I firmly believe James appeal was vetted through the NCAA prior to it being filed. I don't think anyone wants a repeat of last year where melo was ruled ineligible for the NCAA tourney.

What time does the team leave for Connecticut on Tuesday?

no decision until monday???? someone needs to start firing some people. If I have serious work to do, I do it on the weekends. The kid deserves an answer. Even if its in the negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom