Southerland vs Grant | Syracusefan.com

Southerland vs Grant

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
I wonder how much we really lose. We all know that James will have a few games that he lights it up. But Grant has skills as well. Grant played a nice game today and is only going to get better with more play. It is what it is.

I think Grant is probably a better rebounder, he has the look of a more versatile player offensively (he's probably not there yet), but obviously Southerland is our best shooter and a senior. Like I said in the other thread, I think losing Fab was a bigger blow

Biggest loss is James' streaky shooting. He's a big threat.

Why does everyone assume this will be a lengthy or permanent suspension?

Southerland was very streaky. Grant looks ready. I like that Grant looks eager to get the ball, spin, and go to the basket with authority, and can finish. This is a great opportunity for him, and I think his upside is higher than Southerland.

I think Grant is probably a better rebounder, he has the look of a more versatile player offensively (he's probably not there yet), but obviously Southerland is our best shooter and a senior. Like I said in the other thread, I think losing Fab was a bigger blow
I think the bigger loss that noone is replacing right now is what he did for us on the backline. Grant did fine things but James has just started playing larger well. On games where we couldn't stop layups often James would come up with a block, steal, defensive stand. I still saw him doing those little things even moreso the last 4-5 games when he has been clanking.

I was practically drawn and quartered when I suggested a couple of weeks ago that we really don't lose that much when Grant replaces JS when he's not making his 3pts. I think today that Jerami showed a little of what he is going to be capable of as we move towards March.

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
Alexander Graham Bell

if grant can hit an open 3 or two if we get zoned.. its hard to see a major loss.. without james we dont shoot as much from deep but also grant does a good job making himself available and then finishing around the rim.

I wonder how much we really lose. We all know that James will have a few games that he lights it up. But Grant has skills as well. Grant played a nice game today and is only going to get better with more play. It is what it is.

It wasn't that long ago that people on this forum were calling Southerland the best sixth man in college basketball. ESPN even had a segment on SU sixth men at halftime, which I'm sure was decided upon before the suspension was announced.

Let's not pretend that losing Southerland (if it's permanent) won't be a big deal. Grant isn't going to win any games for us on his own. Sure, he's a better rebounder and he's more athletic. While they both give the same amount of hustle, Southerland is clearly a stronger offensive weapon.

This team was overrated to begin with. Without Southerland, we're going to have to play like Michigan St. or Marquette if we want to make a deep tournament run.

I think the bigger loss that noone is replacing right now is what he did for us on the backline. Grant did fine things but James has just started playing larger well. On games where we couldn't stop layups often James would come up with a block, steal, defensive stand. I still saw him doing those little things even moreso the last 4-5 games when he has been clanking.

I like Grant a lot. He's not the defender James is, though (nor should he be - when it comes to defense at Syracuse, fourth-year player > first-year player).

Southerland was very streaky. Grant looks ready. I like that Grant looks eager to get the ball, spin, and go to the basket with authority, and can finish. This is a great opportunity for him, and I think his upside is higher than Southerland.

I think you might be right about Grant's upside down the road. However, right now, Southerland the Sr is way ahead of what Grant the Fr can offer to this team. Not the least of which is the threat of outside shooting.

Hot or cold, teams have to get up and defend Southerland whenever he is on the floor. SU has no one else like him and will struggle even more in the half court.

Limited outside threats and no inside scoring from the big men sets up for a LONG BE season beginning with L'ville.

Really good win today. Big loss going forward.

Even though James is streaky just the threat of his shooting whne on the court is something that creates space offensively. That us the biggest loss as well as just experience. James has really developed into a very good all around defender on the wing.

James is a big loss and Grant is a totally different player. Besides the defense, experience and the 3, he brings the THREAT of the 3 which opens up things for other players. Especially inside or drives to the basket.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

James is a big loss and Grant is a totally different player. Besides the defense, experience and the 3, he brings the THREAT of the 3 which opens up things for other players. Especially inside or drives to the basket.

No question all of that is true. Today. I'm just wondering (hoping) that down the road this season, the loss might not be too great.

Yep...he's not afraid to mix it up. Active player. If we can get Cooney going then this will be a wash.

James is a big loss, but that's because he provides the one thing that the rest of the team is, for the most part, severely lacking: long range jumpshooting. I think that, overall, Grant is the better player, to be perfectly honest. He's already a better ballhandler, at least as good a rebounder, and he's just plain smarter on the court. I don't think Grant will be at SU for all four years, frankly. He's got far too much talent and athleticism.

It might be a blessing in disguise for us that James will be out for a bit, frankly, because it allows Grant to really grow and improve more rapidly.

James is a big loss, but that's because he provides the one thing that the rest of the team is, for the most part, severely lacking: long range jumpshooting. I think that, overall, Grant is the better player, to be perfectly honest. He's already a better ballhandler, at least as good a rebounder, and he's just plain smarter on the court. I don't think Grant will be at SU for all four years, frankly. He's got far too much talent and athleticism.

It might be a blessing in disguise for us that James will be out for a bit, frankly, because it allows Grant to really grow and improve more rapidly.

If it is a bit and not the rest of the year...

Absolutely! Grant is ready to move his game up a tier. He reminds me of Fair - makes it look easy!

No question all of that is true. Today. I'm just wondering (hoping) that down the road this season, the loss might not be too great.

I love Grants game but he is more CJ. You need balance on the court and threats. We'll see mire zone now too.

Grant showed more floor game in 5 minutes than Southerland showed in 4 years.

That was the text my buddy sent me during the game. I can't really disagree with him. Grant can mix it up inside and is leaps and bounds ahead of Southerland in terms of low post scoring. And, he is a freshman. The fact that we are comparing a freshman to a five year player shows how good Grant can be.

Absolutely! Grant is ready to move his game up a tier. He reminds me of Fair - makes it look easy!
Grant is springier, jumpier that CJ. CJ is more "Lawrence Motenish".

Grant showed more floor game in 5 minutes than Southerland showed in 4 years.

That was the text my buddy sent me during the game. I can't really disagree with him. Grant can mix it up inside and is leaps and bounds ahead of Southerland in terms of low post scoring. And, he is a freshman. The fact that we are comparing a freshman to a five year player shows how good Grant can be.

Different type if player and brings different things to the floor. James is a big loss. I'd rather have James that Grant and I love Grant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom