Special Team for short yardage? | Syracusefan.com

Special Team for short yardage?

dollarbill44

Hall of Fame
After I posted in another thread about the potential for trotting out a 2 TE formation with Broyld at QB, AAM at TB, PTG at HB and (incoming recruit) Brantley at FB and running the wishbone, I got to thinking a little deeper about this.So, I ask:

Why not create a "special team" for short yardage that may even include swapping out certain OL for DL players to take advantage of foot speed and size. In other words, put your 11 players out there who specialize in getting 1 yard on the ground. After all, games are often won and lost by the failure to pick up 1 yard in crucial situations, so why not have a special team just for this purpose? Keep it simple, with maybe 4 potential plays that they would be proficient at. Anytime you absolutely need 1-2 yards, bring them in and basically say to the defense, we are going to get this 1 yard - good luck trying to stop us.

After I posted in another thread about the potential for trotting out a 2 TE formation with Broyld at QB, AAM at TB, PTG at HB and (incoming recruit) Brantley at FB and running the wishbone, I got to thinking a little deeper about this.So, I ask:

Why not create a "special team" for short yardage that may even include swapping out certain OL for DL players to take advantage of foot speed and size. In other words, put your 11 players out there who specialize in getting 1 yard on the ground. After all, games are often won and lost by the failure to pick up 1 yard in crucial situations, so why not have a special team just for this purpose? Keep it simple, with maybe 4 potential plays that they would be proficient at. Anytime you absolutely need 1-2 yards, bring them in and basically say to the defense, we are going to get this 1 yard - good luck trying to stop us.

This is similar to a package the Skins had back in the 90's in the Joe Gibbs glory years. I forget the name of it, was snappy though.

It worked great for them, i cant see why it woulnt for us. Vote me a supporter!