Spence- Garcia | Syracusefan.com

Spence- Garcia

SWC75

Bored Historian
I think the two best fighter sin the world are Terrance Crawford and Errol Spence and that may be the next super-fight in boxing. But first Spence had to show that we he was the same fighter he was before his auto accident. he took on a tough customer tonight in Danny Garcia. Spence wasn't the dominant puncher that broke Kell Brook's face and he wasn't the surprisingly proficient boxer that out-boxed lightweight champion Mikey Garcia, (no relation to Danny). Instead, he kept the pressure on steadily and did enough to win round after round. As the commentators said, Garcia would get in a couple of punches and Spence would get in three in response. Garcia was kind of beat up at the end but never really rocked. he was just out-gunned. Spence scored well in the early rounds with his jab. he seemed to take a couple of late rounds off but them came on at the end to clinch it. One of Garcia's problems was that he's basically a counter-puncher and a counter-puncher is going to lose the punch count because he's picking his spots. The other guy's coming forward, too. The counter-puncher has to make each punch count for more than his opponent's punches and that's hard to do when the other guy is Errol Spence.

The thing about a boxing decision is that you could grade a fight 120-108, (12 rounds to none) and that doesn't mean it wasn't a competitive fight. the winning fighter could have simply won each of 12 competitive rounds. I gave Spence the first 6 rounds, then graded one even because Garcia came on at the end. Then I had Spence winning rounds 8 and 9. the one round I gave to Garcia was #10. I had #11 even again. (I have no problem with grading rounds even- fights should be decided on the rounds that were clearly won.) Then Spence closed it with a win in #12 for a 119-111 score, which sounds one-sided but it was a competitive, entertaining fight. The judges had it closer , two of them 116-112 and one 117-111. But they had the right winner.

I'm not sure Spence is all the way back. He might need another fight before he takes on Crawford or Pacquiao.

Decent fight; good not great. Had it 8-4. Errol just outworked him and Danny wouldn’t/couldn’t let his hands go often enough in combination (that’s been his problem against top welters). Spence looked better than I thought he would - retained the reflexes, output and durability post accident. Did seem a little gassed down the stretch though; probably just inactivity and ring rust.

Nice to see Crawford at ringside scouting the fight. But, I’m pessimistic. Due to promotional politics, I don’t think we see Crawford / Spence anytime soon. At least until Bud’s contract with Top Rank expires in 22. Neither fighter is getting younger, yet both camps seem content to let things “marinate” longer. Hope I’m wrong...

Decent fight; good not great. Had it 8-4. Errol just outworked him and Danny wouldn’t/couldn’t let his hands go often enough in combination (that’s been his problem against top welters). Spence looked better than I thought he would - retained the reflexes, output and durability post accident. Did seem a little gassed down the stretch though; probably just inactivity and ring rust.

Nice to see Crawford at ringside scouting the fight. But, I’m pessimistic. Due to promotional politics, I don’t think we see Crawford / Spence anytime soon. At least until Bud’s contract with Top Rank expires in 22. Neither fighter is getting younger, yet both camps seem content to let things “marinate” longer. Hope I’m wrong...

People are talking about it more and more. That could help.

Being my favorite fighter, I couldn't wait to see what Spence looked like post crash. Like JAX said, I thought he looked better than I expected. I had Garcia winning 2 rounds. All of us watching were in agreement that it wasn't that good of a fight.
I've always thought Garcia was one of those fighters that are just below the elite level, like Porter, who just don't have the chops to be the man at the top. That said, Garcia has always been one tough customer, the type that your risk is pretty big when you're a belt holder going in with him. But this fight he didn't look like that at all, part of that is who his opponent is and his style of counter punching like SWC said, just doesn't matchup well with a Spence who is almost his normal self.
There is and will be more buzz for the fight everyone wants to see, that does help. Did you guys see Arum after Crawford's last fight say Crawford would KO Spence in the 2nd round like he did to Brook? He also said they can make the fight happen, we'll see about that. I'm more optimistic that it happens than I was just 6 months ago. Max On Boxing had some pundits on and they discussed it and it's not as hard as it once seemed to be. Fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom