Spence-Porter | Syracusefan.com

Spence-Porter

SWC75

Bored Historian
A great welterweight fight between two physically strong fighters used to imposing their will on their opponents. I was surprised that Porter was the more thickly-built and stronger fighter. I think Spence is a guy who will wind up a middleweight. Porter is shorter but wider. Both fighters have considerable skill, with good foot work and head movement. neither is an explosive puncher who can take you out with one shot. But both are hard punchers, (especially Spence) who can beat up and wear down their opponents. Spence is taller with a better reach and he has a jab he uses to create some distance and set up his other punches. But Porter was able to bob and weave and get inside. When the fight went inside it was Porter's home turf but Spence held his own, blocking punches and digging Porter with body shots. Both fighters were inexhaustible.

Spence suffered the first cut of his career but it wasn't serious. the fight may have turned on the 11 round, when Spence staggered Porter with a clean shot the jaw that twisted his head sideways and caused him to sag but not fall down. It was credited as a knockdown because one of Porter's gloves touched the canvas. But each round was hotly contested and many of them could have gone either way. I had it for Spence 8-2-2, (118-112), which doesn't mean it wasn't close. I just had Spence winning 8 rounds, mostly because of his jab. The first round had the least action and they were feeling each other out. I didn't feel it should impact the scoring in a close fight so I graded it 10-10. In the 7th round Porter came out very aggressively and dominated the early part but Spence had regained control by the end of it so I graded that one even, too. Two judges had it 116-111 for Spence, one 112-115 for Porter. The punch count was 221-172 in favor of Spence, who threw 745 punches to 744. That's 1,489 punches thrown in 36 minutes of fighting, 41 a minute.

A great welterweight fight between two physically strong fighters used to imposing their will on their opponents. I was surprised that Porter was the more thickly-built and stronger fighter. I think Spence is a guy who will wind up a middleweight. Porter is shorter but wider. Both fighters have considerable skill, with good foot work and head movement. neither is an explosive puncher who can take you out with one shot. But both are hard punchers, (especially Spence) who can beat up and wear down their opponents. Spence is taller with a better reach and he has a jab he uses to create some distance and set up his other punches. But Porter was able to bob and weave and get inside. When the fight went inside it was Porter's home turf but Spence held his own, blocking punches and digging Porter with body shots. Both fighters were inexhaustible.

Spence suffered the first cut of his career but it wasn't serious. the fight may have turned on the 11 round, when Spence staggered Porter with a clean shot the jaw that twisted his head sideways and caused him to sag but not fall down. It was credited as a knockdown because one of Porter's gloves touched the canvas. But each round was hotly contested and many of them could have gone either way. I had it for Spence 8-2-2, (118-112), which doesn't mean it wasn't close. I just had Spence winning 8 rounds, mostly because of his jab. The first round had the least action and they were feeling each other out. I didn't feel it should impact the scoring in a close fight so I graded it 10-10. In the 7th round Porter came out very aggressively and dominated the early part but Spence had regained control by the end of it so I graded that one even, too. Two judges had it 116-111 for Spence, one 112-115 for Porter. The punch count was 221-172 in favor of Spence, who threw 745 punches to 744. That's 1,489 punches thrown in 36 minutes of fighting, 41 a minute.

Agree - Excellent Fight. Whole card was competitive and entertaining - best product from PBC (prelims thru main event) that I’ve seen.

I had it closer - 115-113 Spence. Didn’t think Spence controlled distance as effectively as Keith Thurman did when he fought Shawn a couple of years ago. Made it a tougher fight for Spence. Porter pushed the action, kept the pressure on and didn’t wilt (significantly) despite Spence’s body attack. Pretty Left Hook from Spence in the 11th. Would have finished a lesser opponent. IMO, won him (Spence) a tough fight...

I think Porter “knocked some of the shine” off Haymon’s Welter “Golden Boy” a bit. My uncalibrated eye (now) thinks Crawford would lick him. Too bad we’ll probably never find out due to promoter politics... Like you, I think Spence is a natural Middleweight and looking up at Alvarez in the future rather than angling towards Bud.

But, Porter is a very tough fighter and matchup for anyone. Kudos to Spence - he finally got in there with one of PBC’s deep stable of top 147 lbs’ers. I hope Garcia is next (as PBC alludes). And soon (like early 21). World class fighter, experienced, same promoter, different style and presents a different challenge. Spence will only improve If he continues to fight top guys more often.

Agree - Excellent Fight. Whole card was competitive and entertaining - best product from PBC (prelims thru main event) that I’ve seen.

I had it closer - 115-113 Spence. Didn’t think Spence controlled distance as effectively as Keith Thurman did when he fought Shawn a couple of years ago. Made it a tougher fight for Spence. Porter pushed the action, kept the pressure on and didn’t wilt (significantly) despite Spence’s body attack. Pretty Left Hook from Spence in the 11th. Would have finished a lesser opponent. IMO, won him (Spence) a tough fight...

I think Porter “knocked some of the shine” off Haymon’s Welter “Golden Boy” a bit. My uncalibrated eye (now) thinks Crawford would lick him. Too bad we’ll probably never find out due to promoter politics... Like you, I think Spence is a natural Middleweight and looking up at Alvarez in the future rather than angling towards Bud.

But, Porter is a very tough fighter and matchup for anyone. Kudos to Spence - he finally got in there with one of PBC’s deep stable of top 147 lbs’ers. I hope Garcia is next (as PBC alludes). And soon (like early 21). World class fighter, experienced, same promoter, different style and presents a different challenge. Spence will only improve If he continues to fight top guys more often.

Early 21?

Early 21?
Typo misfire - hope early 20...
As inactive as Spence has been the past few years, maybe early 21 wouldn’t surprise me after all...

Totally agree with both of your posts above. Porter always muddies the waters against everyone, and no surprise he did last night. I really like Porter's pit bull style and his toughness, he's just not on the highest of levels skill wise. I think Spence learned a ton from last nights fight, and will be that much better because of it.
We were also talking last night on how we once again won't see a fight of the century type, between Spence and Crawford. Was also watching, Max on boxing, also said the same as the promoters won't due business with each other or something like that. Looking forward to Alvarez v Kovalev next.

Totally agree with both of your posts above. Porter always muddies the waters against everyone, and no surprise he did last night. I really like Porter's pit bull style and his toughness, he's just not on the highest of levels skill wise. I think Spence learned a ton from last nights fight, and will be that much better because of it.
We were also talking last night on how we once again won't see a fight of the century type, between Spence and Crawford. Was also watching, Max on boxing, also said the same as the promoters won't due business with each other or something like that. Looking forward to Alvarez v Kovalev next.

The inmates run the asylum in boxing. I'd like to see all the media outlets, (ESPN, Showtime, DAZN, etc.) get together and form a new organization to rule boxing. I'd like 10 divisions, (the traditional ones plus Middle Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight), with an 8 fighter tournament every year to determine the champion in each: the quarterfinals in the spring, the semis in the Summer and the Finals in the fall. The top guys might not participate at first but if the public likes it, that's where the money will be and they will have to be a part of it.

Reportedly no seatbelt but no (very) serious injuries.
Saw a video clip (of the Lamborghini flipping over and over) from a traffic camera of the accident - he was very lucky...
Hope he recovers quickly and can get back in the ring soon.

Reportedly no seatbelt but no (very) serious injuries.
Saw a video clip (of the Lamborghini flipping over and over) from a traffic camera of the accident - he was very lucky...
Hope he recovers quickly and can get back in the ring soon.

They said it was a Ferrari but after that crash it isn't much of anything. I hope the "facial lacerations" won't make him prone to cuts. Hopefully he'll learn to buckle up and drive carefully after this. He's quite a talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom