SportsCenter makes mention of officiating in Cuse/State game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SportsCenter makes mention of officiating in Cuse/State game

Tyler cleared out with his arm and that should always be called a foul.
That part I know. This part I don't get "The new interpretation is that once a defensive player has established legal guarding position, he can move to maintain it. Once a defender has given up position, he must re-establish it, and until he does the onus of any contact is upon him."

The first and second sentence contradict each other. The first sentence I never heard of before - the second is what I understand to be the rule.

That part I know. This part I don't get "The new interpretation is that once a defensive player has established legal guarding position, he can move to maintain it. Once a defender has given up position, he must re-establish it, and until he does the onus of any contact is upon him."

The first and second sentence contradict each other. The first sentence I never heard of before - the second is what I understand to be the rule.

The poster that said that may be right, but not something I ever heard of. I always thought if a defensive player moves to impede a offensive players forward motion that it is a blocking foul. Therefore can not see how what he says would be true, except for lateral motion by the offensive player.

Where do you see that in the rules?

Okay, in the first place, I ref in FIBA, however I have also reffed in the US. And for a time about 6-8 years ago, Basketball Canada used what was called the "modified NCAA rulebook." Anyhow, short of having to buy the current NCAA rulebook, this is what I was able to find:

http://hms.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/assets/Sites/Vanderbilt/files/NCAA Basketball Rules.pdf

Check p. 76

Now, it's not put forward as neatly or as clearly as what I posted, which is actually an "interpretation." That's the catch-all term for how a rule is to be applied in a game situation. Every year there are new "interpretations" and "points of emphasis" which are put forward without any actual rule changes. The "interpretation" I posted above has been given to me in the season opening clinics in both the US and Canada, which we all attend every year (or we're supposed to, anyway), to make sure everyone is on the same page. Does it work? I'll leave that up to you. :)

Okay, in the first place, I ref in FIBA, however I have also reffed in the US. And for a time about 6-8 years ago, Basketball Canada used what was called the "modified NCAA rulebook." Anyhow, short of having to buy the current NCAA rulebook, this is what I was able to find:

http://hms.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/assets/Sites/Vanderbilt/files/NCAA Basketball Rules.pdf

Check p. 76

Now, it's not put forward as neatly or as clearly as what I posted, which is actually an "interpretation." That's the catch-all term for how a rule is to be applied in a game situation. Every year there are new "interpretations" and "points of emphasis" which are put forward without any actual rule changes. The "interpretation" I posted above has been given to me in the season opening clinics in both the US and Canada, which we all attend every year (or we're supposed to, anyway), to make sure everyone is on the same page. Does it work? I'll leave that up to you. :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain -good stuff. Reading the actual rule makes it clearer. Sections d and e would seem to be the operative ones in this case. Of course, as with most rules, these leave a great deal of room for interpretation.

I have many times heard reference to the position of the dribbler’s head and shoulders at the point of contact. The explanation was that if the dribbler’s head and shoulders are in front of the guard (past) then the dribbler is deemed to have reached the spot where contact occurred first and therefore the guard must have caused the contact. That seems to make a lot of sense under the rule.

Have not gone back to review the play, but in my mind’s eye I don’t see Tyler getting there first.

Art.6. To maintain a legal guarding position after the initial position has been attained, the guard:

a. Is not required to continue having the torso face the opponent;

b. Is required to have either one foot or both feet on the playing court (cannot be out of bounds);

c. May raise the hands or may jump within his or her own vertical plane;

d. May shift to maintain guarding position in the path of the dribbler, provided that the guard does not charge into the dribbler or otherwise cause contact;

e. May move laterally or obliquely to maintain position provided such move is not toward the opponent when contact occurs;

. Is not required to have the feet on the playing court when shifting in the path of the dribbler or when moving laterally or obliquely; and

g. May turn or duck to absorb shock when contact by the dribbler is imminent. In such a case, the dribbler shall not be absolved from the responsibility of contact.​

Seth Davis actually came to the defence of our team on Inside CB tonight.

Wally S claims that it should definitely been a continuation. Seth said he was wrong, and in the NCAA it is no basket.

Some guy on the table then says -- Syracuse (the best in the nation) could only beat an average team by 1. Shows the slight margin between the best and average in the NCAA. Seth then countered (and got a little heated) and said that was a silly comment. The 1 point difference is not indicative of the difference between the two teams -- we are much better, just played a bad game.

It was John Rothstein. He and Davis were going back and forth during that segment.