Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM

Fran definitely has people energized and people who dropped SU football and starting to come around. That being said the fan base has suffered for a long time and don’t wanna be let down again. Its gonna take more then a few months to get the support back to what it once was. I gotta wonder if the university can up the student activity fee and buy out the student section and get the students “Free” tickets.!
Our attendance has been pretty good recently when the team isn't atrocious. The answer to getting people to show up will never be "free tickets".

Working at SU is a great gig

Benefits to include free tuition for children.

Relaxed summer work schedules and other holiday breaks many don't get.
This is true for the academic side… and I don’t know who messed up the quad walk. The people who work in athletics pretty much work seven days a week many weeks from when football games start through the last home lacrosse game. I have some friends that work up there in athletics like I’m sure many of us do… the pay is significantly lower than what i expected for many of the non-management types, especially for the hours they work. They also make it seem like SU is understaffed in many areas and pay lower than their peers because of being a private school and having to be more strategic with where the money is spent. The benefits are good across the board I think through.

Yup I was there…. I was getting annoyed myself from the kids but I understand. I can’t blame the players, and honestly the spring game is about the fans. The players did a good job of holding off most of the time, and I can tell you the main four( all mentioned above as wow) they kept it good. A normal game you won’t see that as ushers would not have any of that or the season ticket holders who would sit there.
The players were only doing what has been encouraged in the past.

Agree… there is no SU tradition but the one chant. The only thing we have other than that is Otto.
We desperately need help in this department. We need a unique chant. LSU/Clemson when they came to the dome had their chants down Pat and I dream of cuse having that.

SU's marketing staff consists of 3 people. Georgia has 7 full-time people. Look around the country. If you expect things to change, you need to change the staff construct.

Sure, the jobs can have benefits. But do you see the marketing and communications staff members at every single home game - whether that's softball, women's lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, women's hockey, or basketball, football? You do. That's a lot of nights and weekends. Not to mention the social media attention that requires near 24 hour monitoring these days.

Demands have changed. Unfortunately, staffing numbers have not.

This is no disrespect at all as I appreciate your contributions to the board and such, but have you ever worked in college athletics? Specifically in the external space? Outside looking in, it's all glamorous - I GET TO GO TO GAMES FOR FREE!. But very rarely do you see how the sausage is made. It's not all it is cracked up to be, especially now compared to 20 years ago.
My comments were more directed at the various non athletic agencies. I realize the sports side is a different animal. And with outsourcing working for a university now...you don't even get university benefits...but from the contractor.

BTW, I worked at a State University for three years but not in sports. I saw academic types disappear for months. LOL

Great advice I was given when I was younger - “dress for the job you want, not the one you have.”

Our attendance has been pretty good recently when the team isn't atrocious. The answer to getting people to show up will never be "free tickets".
For a few years freshman got “free tickets “ to the first game and the student sect was hopping.. it won’t be “free” if student activity fee were to include football tickets

100% this. The admin portion of things has caused some fairly bad public embarrassment for the program. Misspelling names is one that has happened several times in the past decade. The lack of care for our university that has to be present in order for that to happen is astounding.

I think we are all fine seeing our athletic department try new things and, if they aren’t a hit, at least they tried. What Fran called them out on was not demonstrating a very basic level of care. He should, that sort of behavior bleeds through everything. Who else is going to do it if he doesn’t? I think it would be odd to hear Wildhack say it.

Agreed about swearing on mic, not because I’m above it (I forget myself all the time) but because it’s not necessary and it could lead to a poor perception of Coach Brown by some when that isn’t warranted. I want him to win at everything just like he seems to want to.

Yes I ended that sentence with “to”, come at me Newhouse newsies!
I agree about swearing he can tone it down as there are too many “woke ,pc” types on campus and can stir up controversy

For a few years freshman got “free tickets “ to the first game and the student sect was hopping.. it won’t be “free” if student activity fee were to include football tickets
It's unfair to students that don't want to attend sporting events to include that in their student activity fee.

But free tickets have a much lower show rate than paid tickets because there is no sunk cost for the fan that purchased them. The tickets should be reasonably priced to encourage attendance.

Yup I was there…. I was getting annoyed myself from the kids but I understand. I can’t blame the players, and honestly the spring game is about the fans. The players did a good job of holding off most of the time, and I can tell you the main four( all mentioned above as wow) they kept it good. A normal game you won’t see that as ushers would not have any of that or the season ticket holders who would sit there.
If it was so bad send a coach or administrator over to tell the kids not now and end it.
I hate when people can't solve little issues when they're happening and then make it bigger by calling people out after ward.

What I *love* is -
Kyle can get it outta there in a hurry when he needs to.

That big pass play to Peña, he threw it like a second after receiving the snap.

I was shocked how far down the field that throw was, that quickly.

Normally a pass that quick is a hitch or slant, like 5 yards past the LOS.

I don’t think I saw McCord get happy feet even once.
He stepped up or over a few times to buy himself time, but never looked rushed or stressed while doing so.
Dude is one cool cat.
Someone I trust who’s seen practices for years has seen a couple practices this spring…his main takeaway…”QB has a big arm”…

My comments were more directed at the various non athletic agencies. I realize the sports side is a different animal. And with outsourcing working for a university now...you don't even get university benefits...but from the contractor.

BTW, I worked at a State University for three years but not in sports. I saw academic types disappear for months. LOL
While my son was getting a bachelors from a SUNY school, he would say he aspired to be a college professor so he could sit around all day and drink coffee with the other profs.

It's unfair to students that don't want to attend sporting events to include that in their student activity fee.

But free tickets have a much lower show rate than paid tickets because there is no sunk cost for the fan that purchased them. The tickets should be reasonably priced to encourage attendance.

In the student activity fee, sure. But there are a lot of services that colleges offer that cater to minority of the students that everybody pays for.

They simply could make this item in their budget to allow all students free access to supporting events. And bake it into a tuition.

Not all students use the campus bus shuttle, but everybody pays for it, for example.

Sure doesn’t seem like it was discussed with him before it……..

He expected something and it wasn’t delivered by the University.

He’s going to hold the school accountable. Just like he holds himself and others accountable.

He didn’t really bash the university at all, just stated that WAS NOT what he wanted.

Like I said, I am sure they will work this out.
Is there really a doubt what happened here? The uni absolutely fell flat. Love cuse football, don’t love the uni.

What about the students that don’t want to go to an ice cream social? Or the ones that don’t wanna go to the gym? How is that different from the ones that don’t wanna go to a game?

In the student activity fee, sure. But there are a lot of services that colleges offer that cater to minority of the students that everybody pays for.

They simply could make this item in their budget to allow all students free access to supporting events. And bake it into a tuition.

Not all students use the campus bus shuttle, but everybody pays for it, for example.
Regardless of the student activity fee portion, if you want students to show up, giving them "free tickets" isn't a great way to raise attendance numbers. Give them a reason to attend.

What about the students that don’t want to go to an ice cream social? Or the ones that don’t wanna go to the gym? How is that different from the ones that don’t wanna go to a game?
If you add it in the activity fee, what about when they run out of tickets? Not fair if I can't use the fee I paid to attend a sold out game.

He told a story in the presser about meeting him recently in NJ and how they’re very aligned on discipline and how to run a program. He was honored that he gave him a signed jersey and felt that he should honor him in return. For what he gave to the program. I wasn’t aware of him and liked it.
OK, I'll allow it.

This time. ;)

FWIW, I’ve been told that the request to have the full marching band at the game was made on Tuesday.

Needless to say, it’s absurd to expect full attendance from an 150+ person band on 3 days notice.

I’m sure lots of lessons have been learned from this first game.

Regardless of the student activity fee portion, if you want students to show up, giving them "free tickets" isn't a great way to raise attendance numbers. Give them a reason to attend.
Ive seen sub .500 su football teams get several thousand students to a game. We’ll always find excuses for why they didn’t show but telling ourselves “free” tickets wouldn’t help is funny.

Market it like its gods gift before the season

FWIW, I’ve been told that the request to have the full marching band at the game was made on Tuesday.

Needless to say, it’s absurd to expect full attendance from an 150+ person band on 3 days notice.

I’m sure lots of lessons have been learned from this first game.
Good intel.

I have no doubt your info is right that the appropriate person was alerted only on Tuesday, hence the issue with execution on absurd notice.

But I would also bet a paycheck that Fran did not make this communication on Tuesday. More likely it got hung up in the middle people with fault falling both on Fran's team and the Administration sides team.

He will get it straightened out. You can't fix the problems until they identify themselves and I am sure Fran is anticipating as many fires as he can while putting the fires he finds that he didn't anticipate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom