Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM

If you add it in the activity fee, what about when they run out of tickets? Not fair if I can't use the fee I paid to attend a sold out game.
Same thing can be said if ice cream runs out.. its not gonna fair also. South Carolina Vanderbilt have free tickets for there students .. North Carolina does a lottery for tickets. How is that fair? Ped state kids go for free ant there student section os amazing! Michigan students can go to any varsity fame with the mcard.

Good intel.

I have no doubt your info is right that the appropriate person was alerted only on Tuesday, hence the issue with execution on absurd notice.

But I would also bet a paycheck that Fran did not make this communication on Tuesday. More likely it got hung up in the middle people with fault falling both on Fran's team and the Administration sides team.

He will get it straightened out. You can't fix the problems until they identify themselves and I am sure Fran is anticipating as many fires as he can while putting the fires he finds that he didn't anticipate.
People are reading way too much into this. With the limited info we have I could find a way to place blame sole blame on everyone from the marching band, marketing department, Fran Brown or Chancellor Syverud or all the middle men in between if I wanted to spin it a certain way.

My comments were more directed at the various non athletic agencies. I realize the sports side is a different animal. And with outsourcing working for a university now...you don't even get university benefits...but from the contractor.

BTW, I worked at a State University for three years but not in sports. I saw academic types disappear for months. LOL
Comparable jobs on athletic side compared to academics are usually 30-40% less pay and more hours.

Would agree - academic types leave at 4:30pm whether they have a ton of stuff to do or not.
Good intel.

I have no doubt your info is right that the appropriate person was alerted only on Tuesday, hence the issue with execution on absurd notice.

But I would also bet a paycheck that Fran did not make this communication on Tuesday. More likely it got hung up in the middle people with fault falling both on Fran's team and the Administration sides team.

He will get it straightened out. You can't fix the problems until they identify themselves and I am sure Fran is anticipating as many fires as he can while putting the fires he finds that he didn't anticipate.
dont be so sure about that.

Regardless of the student activity fee portion, if you want students to show up, giving them "free tickets" isn't a great way to raise attendance numbers. Give them a reason to attend.
Agreed. Win games - kids will come. 2nd…make the tickets valuable.

If there are more people who want a particular item…they become more valuable. 44k seats > to market than 50k seats when you can’t fill 50k.

Need waiting lines…

Wanna know why a lot of these FB mega schools draw so many to the spring game….because they can’t get to regular season games as easy.

While my son was getting a bachelors from a SUNY school, he would say he aspired to be a college professor so he could sit around all day and drink coffee with the other profs.
Have the ta’s teach and grade papers

Super interesting in the “post game” presser he mentioned some players getting distracted during the game, such as signing stuff, said he didn’t like it (Said it was BS lol). That 100% would have been ok under the previous guy and happy to see discipline being instilled.

This wasn’t the reason Cuse got so many penalties over the Babers tenure but it sure didn’t help (the sideline demeanor that is)

Last edited:
SU's marketing staff consists of 3 people. Georgia has 7 full-time people. Look around the country. If you expect things to change, you need to change the staff construct.

Sure, the jobs can have benefits. But do you see the marketing and communications staff members at every single home game - whether that's softball, women's lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, women's hockey, or basketball, football? You do. That's a lot of nights and weekends. Not to mention the social media attention that requires near 24 hour monitoring these days.

Demands have changed. Unfortunately, staffing numbers have not.

This is no disrespect at all as I appreciate your contributions to the board and such, but have you ever worked in college athletics? Specifically in the external space? Outside looking in, it's all glamorous - I GET TO GO TO GAMES FOR FREE!. But very rarely do you see how the sausage is made. It's not all it is cracked up to be, especially now compared to 20 years ago.
Yeah, sure, the staff is small. Fran is sending the message that the AD needs to figure it out. Fran is doing his job, now he needs the university and fans to do theirs. That’s it, simple message: fix yourself. If that means more funding then figure it out. If it means firing then figure it out. If it means direct ADJW involvement then figure it out. The standard is higher now and it’s one the AD and chancellor bought. They knew what they were signing up for.

Super interesting in the “post game” presser he mentioned some players getting distracted during the game, such as signing stuff, said he didn’t like it (Said it was BS lol). That 100% would have been ok under the previous guy and happy to see discipline being instilled.

This wasn’t the reason Cuse got so many penalties over the Babers tenure but it sure didn’t help (the sideline demeanor that is)

You mean you don’t think Taj would have given the camera the middle finger and gotten away with it??

Weather was windy and a bit chilly, but nothing major for CNY. No rain was the key. To me, not a factor.

#2 was not really an issue either. All we needed was for even half the lax crowd to stick around and then have the tailgates break up earlier. There were plenty of people in the vicinity. I made it across town after the lax game, parked in Standart, and got to Hendricks 10-15 minutes before the buses pulled up. Masses of lax fans were streaming down to the parking lots as I walked up the hill. The traffic going up to the Dome was flowing well. It was the traffic leaving the lax game that was moving slow.

I think the University did a poor job of not only communicating to the fans about the Quad Walk, but doing something to incentivize the lax fans to stay over and Spring Game fans to arrive early. They did end up opening the gates early so we weren’t standing outside forever.
Not sure why there isn't at least something planned for the quad before every dome event.

Heck even something for after.

One of them was LQA. After his second TD, he was signing things for the kids. A GA or assistant came over to him to tell him to get his attention back to the game.

Allen and Willis are going to be like Ron Dayne and Brandon Jacobs..
1713790982674.jpeg

Someone I trust who’s seen practices for years has seen a couple practices this spring…his main takeaway…”QB has a big arm”…
Clearly saw that in the game. Those deep outside fly pattern throws seemed effortless, and especially those 10-15 yard outs were on a rope.

One of them was LQA. After his second TD, he was signing things for the kids. A GA or assistant came over to him to tell him to get his attention back to the game.
One of them was my son .. along with about 100 other kids trying to get signatures. I get the discipline thing. But it's also the spring game. If they won't let players meet kids on the field, the least they could do is let them go to the rails to sign jerseys. If the issue is timing (focus during the game), easy fix: schedule a signing period during the half or after the game ... with kids getting access to the field.

Last edited:
ONe of them was my son .. along with about 100 other kids trying to get signatures. I get the discipline thing. But it's also the spring game. If they won't let kids meet players on the field, they shouldn't be strict about the players are signing jerseys.
I can see both sides of this discussion. In Fran's eyes, this was a real game. A test run for everything. He wants our guys locked in on the game while the game is still going on. It's the details that he preaches about. We will be better for it.

So of the Roster DLine.....who played where and what was the spring game depth chart.

4Dion Wilson Jr.DL6' 5''300R-Sr.
9Isaiah HastingsDL6' 4''290R-So.
10Fadil DiggsDL6' 5''260Sr.
11Denis Jaquez Jr.DL6' 4''254Jr.
19KingJoseph EdwardsDL6' 4''230Fr.
30Chase SimmonsDL6' 4''245R-Jr.
33Caden BrownDL6' 4''215Fr.
52Braylen IngrahamDL6' 4''301R-Sr.
88Maraad WatsonDL6' 3''285Fr.
91Jalil SmithDL6' 5''266R-Fr.
92Rashard PerryDL6' 3''278So.
93Ty GordonDL6' 1''273R-Fr.
94Kevin Jobity Jr.DL6' 4''263Jr.
95Michael NwokochaDL6' 5''290Jr.
99Elijah Fuentes-CundiffDL6' 4''279R-Jr.

So of the Roster DLine...who played where and what was the spring game depth chart.

4Dion Wilson Jr.DL6' 5''300R-Sr.
9Isaiah HastingsDL6' 4''290R-So.
10Fadil DiggsDL6' 5''260Sr.
11Denis Jaquez Jr.DL6' 4''254Jr.
19KingJoseph EdwardsDL6' 4''230Fr.
30Chase SimmonsDL6' 4''245R-Jr.
33Caden BrownDL6' 4''215Fr.
52Braylen IngrahamDL6' 4''301R-Sr.
88Maraad WatsonDL6' 3''285Fr.
91Jalil SmithDL6' 5''266R-Fr.
92Rashard PerryDL6' 3''278So.
93Ty GordonDL6' 1''273R-Fr.
94Kevin Jobity Jr.DL6' 4''263Jr.
95Michael NwokochaDL6' 5''290Jr.
99Elijah Fuentes-CundiffDL6' 4''279R-Jr.
See the "My Take" thread, posts #1 and #13. All played except Jobbity.

Last edited:
See the "My Take" thread, posts #1 and #13. All played except Jobbity.

If you could just add at what position they played and number of snaps at each position, that would be great.

FWIW, I’ve been told that the request to have the full marching band at the game was made on Tuesday.

Needless to say, it’s absurd to expect full attendance from an 150+ person band on 3 days notice.

I’m sure lots of lessons have been learned from this first game.
Yeah, i really dont think this is a big deal. Should the band have been there? Sure.

This fall, the band and cheerleaders will all be there on the steps of the Chapel, thousands of fans at Cuse on The Quad will be there, and it will be great. This was just a bad set of circumstances. When there is a standalone game and Cuse on The Quad is going strong, itll be an awesome sight for fans and players. Im not worried about it at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom