Spring Practice #6: Sat. March 23, 2019 Closed to Media | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Practice #6: Sat. March 23, 2019 Closed to Media

I can’t say what goes on in detail that’s why these things are not open to the media . I can say the O line did really well which is what we are all hoping for . The rbs did very well as stated in the write up . The passing game today had some oopsies that will smooth out But ironically the passing Qb had a good day with his legs . Only spring scrimmage number 1 . We came out healthy and saw some good things
Yeah well I heard our passing QB runs a 4.6 plus those Italians are real scrappy in my experience.

So not surprised :cool:

(I married a second generation “off the boat” Italian from Staten Island)

(Yes I contaminated the gene pool :p)

Hasn't Dino reported the number of plays that he is targeting for these scrimmages?
I feel like 153 plays is pretty dam good.

The fact that they're six scrimmages in (with nine to go), it feels pretty huge that they're talking about fine-tuning.

If the Oline does it's job, I honestly believe Dino would love to be a "run first" offensive unit. That would really open things up for TD and the passing game.
Not run first. 40/60. That 40% run is totally meathead. Caretaker is right. It hasn't been there, the last 2 years, but big jumps last year. My understanding of HCDB's system, is that he wants to dominate the run(particularly up the middle), so he can capitalize when he spreads it out.

So, good news that the line/running game had success today. He grabbed a handful of Linemen for Run Block. (D.Davis, etc..) That paid off, today. It needs to be there for a QB that can command the pocket. While line play can be very technical, for the run, it comes down to whether you can whoop the other guys a$$.

Happy to see it. QB's job depends on tons of stuff. We hit the first check box(very well), today.

Last edited:
Difficult to read the tea leaves of a practice report, when the practice is closed.

A concern that the first team passing attack had no scores? Or the RBs just stole the show and all is well?
Maybe Clayton Welch is a capable #2 QB?
Some back-ups who were injured and others from the second team ranks (Queeley, the juco cbJohnson, Jonas, Grosvenour, Pierre) did some good things.

Not run first. 40/60. That 40% run is totally meathead. Caretaker is right. It hasn't been there, the last 2 years, but big jumps last year. My understanding of HCDB's system, is that he wants to dominate the run(particularly up the middle), so he can capitalize when he spreads it out.

So, good news that the line/running game had success today. He grabbed a handful of Linemen for Run Block. (D.Davis, etc..) That paid off, today. It needs to be there for a QB that can command the pocket. While line play can be very technical, for the run, it comes down to whether you can whoop the other guys a$$.

Happy to see it. QB's job depends on tons of stuff. We hit the first check box(very well), today.

An offense that can run or pass in various ways can take advantage of any weakness a D has and I agree, the whole world on O opens up. Seriously as you say...if they can pound and run block and this talented group of RB's can get 6+YPC....wow...the WR's are going to be thrilled because something on D is going to have to give to help stop that.

I see a lot of blitzing vs the SU O this year to stop the run and pass. Picking that up/taking advantage will be the key to success for this offense.

Babers run play percentage in D1

57, 47, 46, 48, 50. There's no indication he wants to run a skewed offense, one way or the other.

He wants to run a lot of plays, not just a lot of passing plays.

Hasn't Dino reported the number of plays that he is targeting for these scrimmages?

The fact that they're six scrimmages in (with nine to go), it feels pretty huge that they're talking about fine-tuning.

Yes that was the stat that stood out to me to. 153 plays in 1 hour 51 minutes is incredible.

I can’t say what goes on in detail that’s why these things are not open to the media . I can say the O line did really well which is what we are all hoping for . The rbs did very well as stated in the write up . The passing game today had some oopsies that will smooth out But ironically the passing Qb had a good day with his legs . Only spring scrimmage number 1 . We came out healthy and saw some good things
Now you have me worried about our rushing Defense. I hope we don't give up 76 points again.

Well then...by your definition, last year's team was "total meathead" (as were Baylor teams under Briles) while 2016 and 2017 were not.

2018 (10-3)
Rush Plays: 602 (2590 = 4.3 Avg/Rush) = 56.6%
Pass Plays: 461 (3441 = 7.5 Avg/Att) = 43.4%
Total Plays: 1063 (6031 = 5.7 Avg/Play) = 100%

Dino has stated numerous times that to play winning football in the ACC two things need to happen: 1) Stop the run 2) Run the ball effectively

In many ways, Dino is an old school coach using a unique offensive approach. Imo, if we have to reverse those percentages over the course of a season, then we're in trouble as evidenced by the 2016 and 2017 stats:

2016 (4-8)
Rush Plays: 449 (1435 = 3.2 Avg/Rush) = 46.0%
Pass Plays: 461 (3441 = 7.5 Avg/Att) = 54.0%
Total Plays: 971 (5290 = 5.4 Avg/Play) = 100%

Rush Plays: 479 (1938 = 4.0 Avg/Rush) = 46.7%
Pass Plays: 548 (3538 = 6.5 Avg/Att) = 53.3%
Total Plays: 1027 (5476 = 5.3 Avg/Play) = 100%

In general, throwing the ball 60% of the time is a recipe for disaster. Now...I can see a scenario where total passing yardage approaches 60% of total yardage. But, Imo, this can only happen paired with an effective/dynamic running game.

My ride is 3hr20 with no stops going like 10 mph over the limit nice smooth ride
On the football side it was Babers , Vince and Sean Lewis , also the chance to revive a program . There’s nothing like the energy and love you feel from a city that hasn’t won in a while and the plan is on schedule

That's the truth right there. Eric Dungy will always be a legend here because of his toughness, the signature wins and bringing us back to 10. People don't feel and talk that way about Nassib, who was a terrific kid, but we were only marginally relevant. The job was left undone.

Now, though, we can all feel it. It doesn't feel like a false dawn. This feels like the real deal. And Tommy is so tee'ed up to become legendary here. He could win 9+ games for the next 3 years (if he stays that long!). If we have that kind of success, our recruiting is going to go through the roof with such a charismatic guy as Dino at the helm.

And then the debates will be "Who was the better team - the DeVito years or the McNabb years?".

One every 43 seconds seems pretty good for a scrimmage.

Barbers has always said he wants a balanced offense.
The run sets up the passing is the ideal situation this offense wants, make teams pull more people into the box and then exploit the outside.
We have the stable of running backs and the OL to really get this humming this year.

That's the truth right there. Eric Dungy will always be a legend here because of his toughness, the signature wins and bringing us back to 10. People don't feel and talk that way about Nassib, who was a terrific kid, but we were only marginally relevant. The job was left undone.

Now, though, we can all feel it. It doesn't feel like a false dawn. This feels like the real deal. And Tommy is so tee'ed up to become legendary here. He could win 9+ games for the next 3 years (if he stays that long!). If we have that kind of success, our recruiting is going to go through the roof with such a charismatic guy as Dino at the helm.

And then the debates will be "Who was the better team - the DeVito years or the McNabb years?".

What is the saying.."you never want to be the guy following up a legend." Its something like that...

I think Tommy has the ability, and mind set to want to take the bar another step higher, but let's not jump to conclusions.

Syracuse is in some great hands moving forward and we should appreciate the differences between the two players, all while understanding that campus legends are rare.

Barbers has always said he wants a balanced offense.
The run sets up the passing is the ideal situation this offense wants, make teams pull more people into the box and then exploit the outside.
We have the stable of running backs and the OL to really get this humming this year.
Yup, and if the defense decides to defend the spread (vertical and horizontal) instead with only 5-6 in the box, then he is happy to run between the guards for a million yards/touchdowns.