Spring Practice Day #1: Sun March 4 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Practice Day #1: Sun March 4

Lets clear the air. I was Stoneys partial backup as a freshman (a very unenviable position) as he was quarterback, safety and punter and all I did was tackle people. We also had a black single wing fullback on the team who I hated tackling. He was a real stud but ran leaning to far forward a could be brought down if you hit him low. Avatus,to my knowledge, had a very good reputation on campus and the bad rap went to somebody else who came slightly later and shall go UN-named but, remember, this was 1949 and early 50's and a lot of things were looked at differently. The varsity quaterback then was Bernie Custis, a black guy who could throw a jump pass 50 yards. He and a white running back,I believe Bob Young, were designated as unhittable during scrimmages as they were the core of the varsity. Back then we had freshmen, who couldn't play varsity and a JV team as well. The freshmen scrimmaged the varsity as we were loaded (by the new coach Ben)and were competitive. Also check out Sidat Singh (sp) who was a black varsity QB in the late 30's. Great story

By all accounts Avatus Stone was a man - he lived as a man - the way he wanted to live.

It's my 28th season. The first 7 in college, and then 21 more.

You spent seven years in college. It took me six. I got a year off for “good behavior”. I remember John Beluchi in Animal House saying “seven years wasted”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom