Spring Practice Day #1: Sun March 4 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Practice Day #1: Sun March 4

Our local journos are amazing. The passion they have for covering this program just oozes from every pore. 15 mins of open practice? 28 golden seconds of footage. God we are blessed. Rich beyond measure.

The questions are impeccible, by the way. Two new staff members...nothing. Two transfers and three (?4?) early enrollees...nada. Replacing seniors at LB...zilch. But somewhere in there, if I keep asking the same two questions, I'll finally uncover a quarterback controversy and get coach to talk about recruiting players by name so the NCAA can nail him.

I digress...

It's only one rep, I know. But a few impressions.

Trishton Jackson is an impressive looking specimen. Long, quick twitch and has some speed. We'll have to wait a year but he looks like he has the tools to do some serious damage on the outside in this scheme.

RTB, looks really good. Fluid and fast, he looks way more polished than he did in fall camp last year.

Jesse Conners can ball. Will be interesting to see if he can get into the mix. I can see some real difficulty for defenses with the multiple looks out of 12 personnel that this offense can give with two tight ends who can physically dominate DBs but win matchups in the quick game against linebackers. You saw glimpses of it in Babers 2nd year at Bowling Green, they ran some red zone sets with two tight ends and the D seemed to almost always bust coverage because you just can't account for all of the options.

Qb's across the board look better every time I see them in RVA. More velocity, tighter location, smooth footwork and releases. I'm sold that this staff can develop quarterbacks. And I think the people who matter are taking notice.

Interesting to see all the youngsters posting their years of experience. I was a member of the 49 Freshman team (Bens' first year) can anyone beat that?
I can’t. Wasn’t Jim Ringo in your class? Any stories about that time you are willing to share?

Yes Jim was a member of that team and I'm sure I could bore the younger crowd to death with stories from a different era. One quickey. I was a local walk on, one of four that made the final cut (that's a story in itself) and a member of Lafayette Ave. Methodist church (I believe it is now gone) and we had a men's basketball team. I took Jim and some of the other guys from the team over to the church to scrimmage the men's team. It wasn't pretty!!! Avatus Stone was a friend and a good guy and not as portrayed in "The Express" I have the picture of that team hanging on the wall of my den and it brings back great memories of another and (I feel) better era. It was a game - not a business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom