St. John's... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's...

Not really. It is exclamation, not condemnation. Doesn't say anything about St. John's being irrelevant.

Not the point I was making.

Thirty. Two. Freaking. Points.

That is not something a journalist would write in an article.

Sarcastic and snarky appears to be acceptable on Twitter even if "twittering" in an official capacity (Parrish includes CBS in his twitter handle)...

Sarcastic and snarky appears to be acceptable on Twitter even if "twittering" in an official capacity (Parrish includes CBS in his twitter handle)...

That is sensationalizing it - yes. And I agree it's not something a journalist would do. But what Thamel did was a little bit different contextually. Parrish is speaking about a game in which there was a shocking result and is semi-national news (Mullin's first game, St. John's in media capital of world, etc.). And is also linking his own story, which doesn't make the sensationalism right, but more understandable (I guess) if he wants people to click on his link.

Thamel is reacting to something that is mundane and links to a story that is not his own. The information happens to be on his Twitter feed based on his preferences, not because it's national news (or even remotely close).

Last edited:
That is sensationalizing it - yes. And I agree it's not something a journalist would right. But what Thamel did was a little bit different contextually. Parrish is speaking about a game in which there was a shocking result and is semi-national news (Mullin's first game, St. John's in media capital of world, etc.). And is also linking his own story, which doesn't make the sensationalism right, but more understandable (I guess) if he wants people to click on his link.

Thamel is reacting to something that is mundane and links to a story that is not his own. The information happens to be on his Twitter feed based on his preferences, not because it's national news (or even remotely close).

I agree with what you say.

My comment was limited to the similarity of the tone of Parrish's tweet compared to Thamel's...

ideally you are correct, however sarcastic and snarky is not only acceptable in main street media these days, its commonplace

I thought he was just paraphrasing Jake...wasn't their attribution?

We did lose to Lemoyne, and turned out to be pretty darn good, but ya that is pretty bad.

Note to self (and Coyle, JB and co): never schedule this St Thomas Aquinas guy. I couldn't handle losing to a D2 school by 32, even though it's a meaningless game. The outrage among SU fans would be off the charts.

getting beat by 32 by Division II St Thomas Aquinas.

Thirty freaking two.

Yikes - my wife went there and I've seen it. That is a pretty darn small sleepy little school. It's right over the tappan zee bridge in a little town called Nyack.

With our luck SJU will find a way to right the ship and give us a close game when we play them

Yikes - my wife went there and I've seen it. That is a pretty darn small sleepy little school. It's right over the tappan zee bridge in a little town called Nyack.
Did the two of you share an everlasting kiss?

With our luck SJU will find a way to right the ship and give us a close game when we play them
image.jpg

For those of you condemning Thamel, to me, this is the same tone.

Full disclosure, I am not on Twitter or Facebook or other social media because I would have to give my firm access and it just isn't worth it so I don't see this stuff on a regular basis but it appears as if it is acceptable for a journalist to use a non-professional tone and language on Social Media that they would never use in print or on the electronic version of their medium.

Just a thought.
Really? That's quite a firm you work for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom