St Rose Postgame thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

St Rose Postgame thoughts

I was surprised a bit with the tempo tonight, I feel they looked to get out on the break more against Daemen. JJ is great at getting out and going but Judah looked a little more relaxed and satisfied with waiting and working in the half court.

How is it going to go with Mintz, Starling, Cuffe and Copeland when Westry comes back?

Carey has a chance to be a very good player. Very active and moves very well. He was a big surprise tonight. Disappointed in Judah. He has to look for teammates when he gets in the lane. Forced some bad shots tonight. His jumper looks worse not better. Defense was better tonight, especially in transition. With four players playing outside, offensive rebounds may be limited. McCloud makes people think twice about putting it up inside. He can be a force. Judah needs to look for the bigs a lot more when he drives. Copeland was out of it tonight. Bad decisions, poor interior defense and his jumper looks poor. Taylor is our toughest kid. He can play the two, three and a little four. The team was much better on both ends of the floor. Getting to the line 38 times will cause teams major problems.

Carey has a chance to be a very good player. Very active and moves very well. He was a big surprise tonight. Disappointed in Judah. He has to look for teammates when he gets in the lane. Forced some bad shots tonight. His jumper looks worse not better. Defense was better tonight, especially in transition. With four players playing outside, offensive rebounds may be limited. McCloud makes people think twice about putting it up inside. He can be a force. Judah needs to look for the bigs a lot more when he drives. Copeland was out of it tonight. Bad decisions, poor interior defense and his jumper looks poor. Taylor is our toughest kid. He can play the two, three and a little four. The team was much better on both ends of the floor. Getting to the line 38 times will cause teams major problems.
Judah will hopefully get to the line a lot this season. He has a knack of falling down with a little contact and shown he can draw fouls. Will the ACC refs call it the same way. Bell getting to the line is a bonus. His stroke is so pure.

The thing I’m most happy about early on and I know the opponents are bad, but the defense is going to keep them in games. They are going to be bad on offense some games, but I think the steals and good defense will keep them competitive. Recently when the team didn’t score they had no chance at all. I think that changes with this group and style of play

I think Benny has the potential to make shots too.

A bit disappointed we didn’t see Judah shoot more jumpers tonight. That’s what he will need to do to make the association.

I don’t see how JJ gets drafted if he can make a shot outside of 15 feet.
JJ was known as a good shooter in high school and AAU. I think he’s just adjusting to the new team and system.

Last edited:
The thing I’m most happy about early on and I know the opponents are bad, but the defense is going to keep them in games. They are going to be bad on offense some games, but I think the steals and good defense will keep them competitive. Recently when the team didn’t score they had no chance at all. I think that changes with this group and style of play

We haven’t been good at stopping dribble penetration but we’ve been good at deflections in the passing lane.

I thought Naheem would be a better interior defensive presence. Doesn’t rebound as well as I would hope and is looking more to just block shots than make the correct defensive rotation.

I was sort of watching the game while taking notes and typing up the Dino Babers Show. In both games we were so much better than the other team that we could play in spurts and get away with it. That doesn't mean these guys could play hard for 40 minutes if they had to. We played without key players but still looked like a talented, exciting team.

Chris Bell really showed me something in this game with 19 points 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 1 assist. He was only 2 for 8 from outside but got to the line for 9 shots and made them all. This is what JB was yelling about all last season: if your shot is falling, find other ways to score and to contribute. He was doing it tonight.

Peter Carey got some serious playing time with both power forwards out and he filled that spot for several minutes. He's not strong enough to win the battles inside but he's long and quick and got 5 points and 5 rebounds. That's all we need from him this year. Cn he do it against better teams?

Quadir Copeland played 18 minutes rather than 31, as he did against Daemon but still made his presence felt with 4 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists. On one play he missed an awkward lay-up, outfought a couple guys for the rebound an passed the ball to Justin Taylor in the corner for a three, which Justin made. He was 0 for 4 from three in the two games.

Kyle Cuffe played 19 minutes, one of eight players who played at least 16. He was only 1 for 6 from the field and had two more 'wedgies', (getting the ball stuck between the basket and the backboard on a dunk attempt), making me wonder if his jumping ability has not fully returned after his surgery. He did have 3 steals and 2 assists.

Naheem McLeod is fun to watch. I saw him block a shot right off a guy's hands without jumping. I saw him catch and dunk all six shots he attempted. I saw him catch a midcourt pass from Mintz and immediately found Bell in the corner for an open three, (which he missed). 7-4 has excellent hands. He had 12 points, 6 rebs and 2 blocks in 19 minutes.

Judah Mintz showed no signs of the injury that kept him out of the first exhibition. He was his old self, worming his way through the defense, flopping like mad to draw fouls, (most flops come on actual fouls - the player is making sure the refs can't ignore it - and Judah gets the calls). He was 14 for 16 from the line and scored 20 points with 5 rebs, 7 assists and 3 steals in 28 minutes.

William Patterson got some court time, 5 minutes of it. Imagine being 7-2 and you're the second tallest guy on the team! He was also the second best player with an undershirt. He had 2 rebs and 2 blocks. Someday he could be our starting center.

JJ Starling moved over so Mintz could play the point but found openings to score 14 points He never tried a three and had no rebounds and 4 turnovers. He again led the team in minutes played with 32.

Justin Taylor played the '4' against this height-challenged team for 31 minutes. and scored 10 points and 12 rebounds, 11 off the defensive boards. But he's unlikely to be in that spot once Benny and Maliq come back.

Concerns: We were 12 for 44 from three in the two games (27.3%) and out-rebounded two short teams by only 80-73.
Good observation on Cuffe. I remember his high school tape- kid was a rocket off the floor.

Taylor works hard out there but he was guarding their 4 so was inside a lot instead of covering a wing. Keep in mind that a lot of boards he got will be a Brown and/or Benny rebound.
Thank you Mrs Bell.

I don't care if he got 12 rebounds against school for sisters of the blind

It's 12 rebounds!

Has Chris ever had half that in any game?

Yes or no question...

My honest take...just being real...I don't think the record this year is going to look good. The lack of shooters is a big problem. I like our guards ability to get into the paint but teams are really going to pack it in against us. I don't think this is going to be a great defensive team either. Possibly better than we have been but not enough to make up for our deficiencies.

The good part for me is I like the direction we're going in. We have athletes and I actually like our bigs.

I think we're a year away from really turning the corner for the program in terms of record. But I think we'll have more fun watching this team than we have for a while.

Hope I'm wrong about the W/L!

I hope you are right but I have not been that impressed with our D. I understand it's a work in progress, but I am concerned foul trouble is going to be a common thing.

One problem with Judah is he does not play fast when the ball is not in his hands. He doesn’t fill lanes. Starling is much better pushing the ball than Judah. Judah also has to get his butt back on defense when he fails to score inside. Teams are going to play a soft man defense against Juda and JJ and dare them to shoot.

Which quickly turns into a packed paint and penetrating won’t be as easy. We need to play excellent defense this year to be successful.
We have that potential on defense but have real concerns about our coaches ability to get them to play team defense.

It's going to be interesting to see just what kind of "2nd gear" this CUSE team has when needed against D1 competition. CUSE could easily run either of their exhibition teams out of the gym...won by 50 if they wanted or Coach A. let them. See what happens...if there is a bit more "purpose" in their play against Colgate for example.

Thank you Mrs Bell.

I don't care if he got 12 rebounds against school for sisters of the blind

It's 12 rebounds!

Has Chris ever had half that in any game?

Yes or no question...
It was Taylor with 12 boards wasn’t it.

It's going to be interesting to see just what kind of "2nd gear" this CUSE team has when needed against D1 competition. CUSE could easily run either of their exhibition teams out of the gym...won by 50 if they wanted or Coach A. let them. See what happens...if there is a bit more "purpose" in their play against Colgate for example.
We've been shorthanded both exhibition games so I will withhold judgment on what has happened so far. Hopefully we will be full strength Monday night vs UNH. That's when it counts for real.

judah took as many FT's (16) as the entire st rose team ?

Funny the stark difference between games.
After scrimmage 1, many ready to crown Cope as the new savior and dump Bell. Then he scored 19 and Cope looked like the dope.
But Chris is a defensive liability.
Also interesting that Judah looked a lot like Judah last year, but even more so. Diving falling into the lane, and not looking for others, is a problem.
Our +/- of all starters - including Cuffe (testament to playing solid and not trying to do too much) - was great. But odd how 7’4” giant McLeod only had +/- of 1, while Carey was 19 with 12 rebounds.

One problem with Judah is he does not play fast when the ball is not in his hands. He doesn’t fill lanes. Starling is much better pushing the ball than Judah. Judah also has to get his butt back on defense when he fails to score inside. Teams are going to play a soft man defense against Juda and JJ and dare them to shoot.

Which is the best thing that could happen to them to be forced to start using that jump shot. In two games no one could stay in front of them so it didn't matter. Likely not many will be able to the first 3 games either even with sagging. Not guaranteeing it will be pretty when they do have to shoot more but you get better through doing not avoiding.

I've watched both games and our defense has NOT been impressive, very inconsistent. Guys are moving but not covering anyone or are reaching and getting fouls. Still looks like we don't know when to switch. JM got his points but I saw several instances where he gave up a potential pass/assist to a wide open perimeter player and drove into traffic for an off-balance shot. My impression is that we're not as good as I thought we would be at this point--but hopefully will get better. Best guess--bubble team at best. Maui will tell us a lot--much more than the last 2 games.
I just hope we are not referring to the tournament even decades later as the Maui Massacre.

We have that potential on defense but have real concerns about our coaches ability to get them to play team defense.

They had about 12 bad defensive possessions all game. When it was bad though it was matador defense. Unlike the first game - the second half was better for the most part than the first where they had a longer stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom