St Rose Postgame thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

St Rose Postgame thoughts

Last season Mintz averaged 6.9 free throw attempts per 40 minutes both in ACC and out of conference play. His 90 attempts in conference play were second in the ACC.

Now Mintz will be coming in with a bigger reputation, so probably will get slightly more benefit of the doubt.

Will he get those calls in the NBA? Just wondering.

That's pretty good, but "Taylor Swish" will be tough to beat.

I am retreating to my chambers to consider the evidence before me.

Shouldn't a nickname be shorter than the real name? What are the rules?

1236214561.0.jpg

My sister and I refer to Justin as Fuddy, short for Faux Buddy. I'm not sure if this qualifies for an OttoinGrotto nickname submission or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Nah. If you have to explain it...

... and even after you do, still - nah.

"Taylor Swish" is perfect. Timely, and self-explanatory.

Someone getting steals is not indicative of being a good defensive player. Copeland will get some steals but his first two trips on defense last night were awful. He got posted up easily both times and got scored on. He made no effort to play any post defense. You can’t play Judah, JJ and Copeland at the same time. No one on defense has to play eight feet from the basket.

I think we need to have some expectations for this year, frankly. We have a really good player in Mintz who’s only gonna be here one season, plus Starling, and we need to take advantage of that high level talent in the backcourt and at least make the tourney. We have the athleticism again that marked Cuse teams of old.
I don’t see Starling making the NBA with this jumper. I‘d expect him back if he shoot’s like this all year.

haven't read through the thread, but offense didn't seem to run "plays" from what I saw. Not to much ball movement. The game would have been a lot closer without that 7 point play by Bell, which basically was the game. Defense was a lot of standing around, lots of reaching and poor positioning.

Benny, Bell and Taylor have to be able to make their open 3s. We have to run and attack. It will be an interesting team to watch mature.

And at least 1 of the guards. Although his shot looked flat last night, I think Cuffe has the potential based on how he won both of the 3 point shooting contests at the earlier scrimmages.

Judah will hopefully get to the line a lot this season. He has a knack of falling down with a little contact and shown he can draw fouls. Will the ACC refs call it the same way. Bell getting to the line is a bonus. His stroke is so pure.

Satalin was all over that last night.

Now Mintz will be coming in with a bigger reputation, so probably will get slightly more benefit of the doubt.
or coaches will tell their BIGS if they're gonna call it then make it count.

Isn't it Penny for your thoughts? I don't want your thoughts. I want Satalin's. Is his worth 2 pennies? Not to bring up the two penny podcast guy, but what would he say.
My thoughts are not for sale, nor are they fit to be shared.

I haven’t expect much out of this year, too many changes along with a new coach and unproven players. Next year, keep the current parts and we could be really really good. It’s going to be tough at times, but I’d rather watch a team like this win 5 games than the past few teams with their records.
The past two teams compiled the worst records in Syracuse history in 50 years. If we only win 5 games this season, that would be an abject failure. Do I expect us to win the national title or go to a Final Four this season? No. But we have the talent and athleticism to make some noise and make the tourney. Even Red is saying we need to get back to our historical Orange standards.

Funny the stark difference between games.
After scrimmage 1, many ready to crown Cope as the new savior and dump Bell. Then he scored 19 and Cope looked like the dope.
But Chris is a defensive liability.
Also interesting that Judah looked a lot like Judah last year, but even more so. Diving falling into the lane, and not looking for others, is a problem.
Our +/- of all starters - including Cuffe (testament to playing solid and not trying to do too much) - was great. But odd how 7’4” giant McLeod only had +/- of 1, while Carey was 19 with 12 rebounds.
While I'm unsure about how good we'll be when the schedule gets tougher, I am optimistic about the depth.

For a long time now if one of our starters had a bad game there was nobody to even attempt to spell them and give us some points. This year we have the required quality depth who can step into a role and give us some needed scoring.

Still, the team needs to start making more 3s outside of JT/Bell rotating having good games. Cautiously optimistic we can gel and shoot a respectable level from 3 as the season goes on.

The past two teams compiled the worst records in Syracuse history in 50 years. If we only win 5 games this season, that would be an abject failure. Do I expect us to win the national title or go to a Final Four this season? No. But we have the talent and athleticism to make some noise and make the tourney. Even Red is saying we need to get back to our historical Orange standards.
New coach, new members of the staff, lost two of our three best players from last year, we could definitely be bad. Everything is new to everyone, players, coaches, and not sure we replaced what we lost to be better.

Have you watched the exhibition games? This kid was a deadeye as a sophomore in HS in the town I live in. That shot is gone. Mechanics and all.
That sounds like hyperbole to me. I did watch the exhibition games. He didn’t attempt any or many threes. Maybe his shoulder injury last year did impact his shooting, but I can’t imagine he won’t be able to get it back or fix what’s going on.

Will he get those calls in the NBA? Just wondering.
Good question. I really don't think so... He's a borderline NBA player at any rate. It would be nice if he gets drafted and hangs around for a while, but NBA bodies are just something different. If Mintz improves to a good 3 pt shooter, if like his chances more.

In the end, I don't care that much, I'm just hoping he has a great year for us, now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom