Stadium Facts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stadium Facts

Right, that was their main upgrade, along with lighting. It was completed 16 years ago, not sure if they've done anything since. And the only upgrade over existing, was that it was metal seats, instead of wood. They didn't use that opportunity to replace the wood seats. I love that stadium because it's as college football as it gets. But it's a dump. A wonderful dump. The town is also a dump. Not a wonderful dump either. A dumpy strip mall dump.

Our stadium is also nationally recognizable. There's something to be said for that. We've made some solid upgrades while maintaining everything cool about the place. Field turf, new video boards. I guess ribbon stuff too, although that's more for Ad $. The only thing I do wish we would do is to add some coloring to the concrete. Don't want to make the place an eyesore, but we could make that part a little less dreary dark gray.

As for the locker rooms, I don't know the answer there. I do recall McNabb pumping about $250k into the program in 2000 for locker room upgrades. Not sure if that was just for more expensive paint. But how much can it cost to modernize them? Is it just a space issue? As Millhouse said about the stands, it probably could even apply to the locker rooms. Once we have an IPF, the players aren't going to spend a ton of time in the Dome locker rooms. 6 or 7 times per year.

To be honest the best part about attending a game at Notre Dame was there were ZERO advertisements. I cant tell you what a treat it was to sit in a stadium and NOT be constantly hearing commercial after commercial after commercial. I love the Dome and always will but the constant ads and canned music and canned cheers that they pipe in drive me absolutely crazy. Why even have a band there? They never play. Yet we have a kiss cam, a pepsi fan cam and a yanceys fancey cheese cam.

Dont even get me started.

To be honest the best part about attending a game at Notre Dame was there were ZERO advertisements. I cant tell you what a treat it was to sit in a stadium and NOT be constantly hearing commercial after commercial after commercial. I love the Dome and always will but the constant ads and canned music and canned cheers that they pipe in drive me absolutely crazy. Why even have a band there? They never play. Yet we have a kiss cam, a pepsi fan cam and a yanceys fancey cheese cam.

That's a good point, they don't need the Ad revenue, they have enough. Wonder if SU will be less reliant on it with the ACC windfall. I'll say it again, money has to go somewhere. That's what, an extra $15M per year coming into an Athletic Department that reports that it's already in the black?

That should be used for the locker rooms too. I can't imagine that's some large capital project that requires 7 figures.

That's a good point, they don't need the Ad revenue, they have enough. Wonder if SU will be less reliant on it with the ACC windfall. I'll say it again, money has to go somewhere. That's what, an extra $15M per year coming into an Athletic Department that reports that it's already in the black?

That should be used for the locker rooms too. I can't imagine that's some large capital project that requires 7 figures.

I hope so. It just makes the overall product very cheesy IMO when you have these ads and canned stuff going on.

No more than a hundred million (assuming they don't replace the roof or make any major structural changes to the current bowl).

Tough to do anything in the east end zone; the designers never made any accommodation for that (a little short-sighted, I think). They did just enough excavation to plunk down the removable stands, patched up the Archbold tunnel, and built up from there. The west end is where any addition (a cost-effective one, at least) would have to take place.

The west side where the locker rooms are now. It would be like cutting a hole in your basement wall for an egress window or addition, whatever, albeit this would be on a larger scale. Would certainly have to be some major structural enhancements to support opening the wall underneath.

If some kind of addition/reno like that costs 100 million then forget it.

As for the locker rooms, I don't know the answer there. I do recall McNabb pumping about $250k into the program in 2000 for locker room upgrades. Not sure if that was just for more expensive paint. But how much can it cost to modernize them? Is it just a space issue? As Millhouse said about the stands, it probably could even apply to the locker rooms. Once we have an IPF, the players aren't going to spend a ton of time in the Dome locker rooms. 6 or 7 times per year.

I think the only real issue with the Dome locker rooms is space.

The west side where the locker rooms are now. It would be like cutting a hole in your basement wall for an egress window or addition, whatever, albeit this would be on a larger scale. Would certainly have to be some major structural enhancements to support opening the wall underneath.

If some kind of addition/reno like that costs 100 million then forget it.

No, what you described would cost a fraction of that. Punching out the wall on the locker room level would be easy; don't know that it was designed to be punched out, but I don't believe it's load-bearing.

I was talking about the same thing, only going up ten stories and expanding concourses and such as part of the same project.

I think the only real issue with the Dome locker rooms is space.

Build a stairwell to Club 44.

Problem
Solved

Can we take from the opposing team's locker room? Pack them in like cattle, who cares.

Yeah, I'm sure if ND fans wanted new bleachers they could get them. Most of them probably want the wooden ones because of the history of the stadium. I know Michigan fans are psyhco about the Big House. There were people bitching about the luxury seats they put in because they want to keep the feel of the stadium. They don't want it too glitzy like the Dome has become.

Yeah, I'm sure if ND fans wanted new bleachers they could get them. Most of them probably want the wooden ones because of the history of the stadium. I know Michigan fans are psyhco about the Big House. There were people bitching about the luxury seats they put in because they want to keep the feel of the stadium. They don't want it too glitzy like the Dome has become.
I've heard lots of descriptions of the Dome. But "glitzy" is not among them. The ribbon displays added a little bling, but the major problem with the structure is that it's gray-drab -- slabs of concrete outside and ... slabs inside. They've done some good things to add some color/warmth. But there's only so much you can accomplish with orange paint.

For the record, I agree with the thread. The Dome has been a godsend for SU AND the community, at a surprisingly reasonable cost (comparatively). The roof is airy, and removes a major hurdle for many fans and players (upstate weather). I wouldn't be disappointed if they created a basketball-only arena. But building a new FB stadium .. not sure what the justification would be presently, or where the funding would come from (cf. Buffalo bills $160M that appeared out of nowhere).

For my money:

1- Run some brick half-way (or a third of the way) up the outside walls. Much more pleasing to look at, and a better fit with the academic buildings;
2- Add some SU culture OUTSIDE. Wall posters of Jim B. are looking pretty tired. How about some real FB legend artwork on the way in (especially North, West and South sides)? A water feature would be sweet. Except for the East side, the perimeter of the Dome looks like a parking lot. How about valet for the CTO crowd (no offense, CTO);
3- Add a gathering pavilion and put the retired jerseys/banners in there -- a more fitting place than hanging under a scoreboard. We would need something open (in glass, several stories high) ... where people could mill around and enjoy themselves. This would take the pressure (and gridlock) off of 1st and 2nd floor venders whose lines now block interior walkways. It would give people a place to hang out -- rather than shuffle in/out cattle-style; and
4- Add another ribbon display on the second tier level (if Pepsi goes along).

1- Run some brick half-way (or a third of the way) up the outside walls. Much more pleasing to look at, and a better fit with the academic buildings;

They could even plant some ivy for practically nothing.

SU doesn't do anything to make the exterior inviting. Maybe it's a security-theatre thing, who knows. But they've created a great bubble of ugliness around the building.

I've heard lots of descriptions of the Dome. But "glitzy" is not among them. The ribbon displays added a little bling, but the major problem with the structure is that it's gray-drab -- slabs of concrete outside and ... slabs inside. They've done some good things to add some color/warmth. But there's only so much you can accomplish with orange paint.

For the record, I agree with the thread. The Dome has been a godsend for SU AND the community, at a surprisingly reasonable cost (comparatively). The roof is airy, and removes a major hurdle for many fans and players (upstate weather). I wouldn't be disappointed if they created a basketball-only arena. But building a new FB stadium .. not sure what the justification would be presently, or where the funding would come from (cf. Buffalo bills $160M that appeared out of nowhere).

For my money:

2- Add some SU culture OUTSIDE. Wall posters of Jim B. are looking pretty tired. How about some real FB legend artwork on the way in (especially North, West and South sides)? A water feature would be sweet. Except for the East side, the perimeter of the Dome looks like a parking lot. How about valet for the CTO crowd (no offense, CTO);
3- Add a gathering pavilion and put the retired jerseys/banners in there -- a more fitting place than hanging under a scoreboard. We would need something open (in glass, several stories high) ... where people could mill around and enjoy themselves. This would take the pressure (and gridlock) off of 1st and 2nd floor venders whose lines now block interior walkways. It would give people a place to hang out -- rather than shuffle in/out cattle-style; and

I was comparing it to ND and Mich (b4 the club seats). They are really basic setups (concrete with bleacher seats). I know the Dome isn't "high end" compared to other stadiums. I used the word glitzy in the spur of the moment. It wasn't meant to be a serious analytical evaluation of the Dome's aesthetics.

I agree with that the Dome is fine too. People can't predict the future, so there is no sense in getting upset (not saying you) at people who are thinking about future stadium possibilities. 10 years of saving $10 milion dollars gives you $100 mil (using ACC rev), that's not a bad start for a new stadium if that is in the adminstrations itinerary. Who's to say there aren't private investors, state and local $, and big-time alums to throw in some cash on top of that? It's not as outlandish as some people think.

They could use color lighting (orange preferred, some blue); murals of the greats (players, games, etc.). I like the brick and ivy ideas, too. At worst, let some little Orange fans go finger paint the exterior, it can't be as plain as it is now and it might just motivate the administration to do something.

The outside of the Dome has always reminded me of a cheesy Pyramid Mall common in Upstate NY during the 70's

For my money:

Put statues of all our athletic heroes on the outside. Put statues of Jim and Floyd in the same area as Ernie's- the three 44's. Then put Csonka and Bing and McNabb and Gait and the rest of the them in the alcoves along the outside walls.

I was comparing it to ND and Mich (b4 the club seats). They are really basic setups (concrete with bleacher seats). I know the Dome isn't "high end" compared to other stadiums. I used the word glitzy in the spur of the moment. It wasn't meant to be a serious analytical evaluation of the Dome's aesthetics.

I agree with that the Dome is fine too. People can't predict the future, so there is no sense in getting upset (not saying you) at people who are thinking about future stadium possibilities. 10 years of saving $10 milion dollars gives you $100 mil (using ACC rev), that's not a bad start for a new stadium if that is in the adminstrations itinerary. Who's to say there aren't private investors, state and local $, and big-time alums to throw in some cash on top of that? It's not as outlandish as some people think.

I see your point on glitz ... a comparative term if you're using archibold
url.jpeg

as the control. It looks like the parthenon today (some people really like the old-school style outdoor facility).

Unfortunately, in this day and age, and given the kinds of activities we like to hold in bad weather (including, for now, basketball), a domed stadium is a great facility to have. But like any facility, it needs not only M/O (as 96 likes to put it), but also capital improvement from time to time. IMO, that time is now, especially with the new ACC revenue available. We have many title 9 sports to support, but since we're not paying SEC wages to our HC, there should be some money left, god willing, to spiff up the Dome and bring it into the 21st century.

You (and others) may feel a new stadium is needed. I'm sure there are many viewpoints on this subject. But for me, I think 20M in improvements would be a reasonable investment in the Dome to be able to use it for 20 more years.

That'll also leave open the possibility of a basketball only arena -- and if I have anything to say about it, GT's not going to set foot in there unless it guarantees us 5,000 seats at the Verizon for a home and home.

They could even plant some ivy for practically nothing.

SU doesn't do anything to make the exterior inviting. Maybe it's a security-theatre thing, who knows. But they've created a great bubble of ugliness around the building.
The ivy will grow on the brick. ;) But as a side note, Otto, you and I know that there were a bunch of capital projects that HAD to be done. The law school was one of those -- and I hope they're going to do it right. I'll be contributing. Maybe the ACC will give us enough new revenue to put $20M into the Dome to make it state of the art (for now).

We've certainly contributed our share to the betterment of downtown Syracuse. Nothing against that, but I'm looking forward to a revival of our academic mission (as opposed to the open door mission we've been involved in).

Was thinking about this the other day. Build a new football stadium, and then remove half of the dome for an academic building on the corner of the quad. Take the other half of the dome and make it uniform for basketball, add seats, and put on a permanent, hard shell roof. Renovate the outside and add an atrium and hall of fame. Problem solved, no need to build a basketball facility.

Was thinking about this the other day. Build a new football stadium, and then remove half of the dome for an academic building on the corner of the quad. Take the other half of the dome and make it uniform for basketball, add seats, and put on a permanent, hard shell roof. Renovate the outside and add an atrium and hall of fame. Problem solved, no need to build a basketball facility.

Not sure the Dome walls can handle a hard shell roof. If you want to go that route, raze the Dome entirely and build a BB only facility in its' place. You'll still have to displace the BB team for at least 1 season, maybe 2.

I see your point on glitz ... a comparative term if you're using archibold View attachment 2254
as the control. It looks like the parthenon today (some people really like the old-school style outdoor facility).

Unfortunately, in this day and age, and given the kinds of activities we like to hold in bad weather (including, for now, basketball), a domed stadium is a great facility to have. But like any facility, it needs not only M/O (as 96 likes to put it), but also capital improvement from time to time. IMO, that time is now, especially with the new ACC revenue available. We have many title 9 sports to support, but since we're not paying SEC wages to our HC, there should be some money left, god willing, to spiff up the Dome and bring it into the 21st century.

You (and others) may feel a new stadium is needed. I'm sure there are many viewpoints on this subject. But for me, I think 20M in improvements would be a reasonable investment in the Dome to be able to use it for 20 more years.

That'll also leave open the possibility of a basketball only arena -- and if I have anything to say about it, GT's not going to set foot in there unless it guarantees us 5,000 seats at the Verizon for a home and home.

I don't think a new stadium is needed.

Good pt about coaches wages, we save at least $2-3 mill a year with JB alone. I think he could easily demand $4 mil a year if he wanted.

I like everything about the DOme.

Would be awful if we built an open air Archbold replacement and still played at Manley or a slightly larger/renovated version for basketball because tickets would be impossible to get. Would hurt our local fanbase since most people would be shut out. And athletics aside there is a pretty decent amount of resentment towards SU as a school from CNYers who mostly attend SUNY schools for being private and the rest. It would be higher if basketball tickets were impossible to get like Duke or Gonzaga.