Stall ball | Syracusefan.com

Stall ball

why are we boxing out under the rim with less than five seconds left..let them have a two. dumb . dumb . dumb.

the stall is fine but Triche has to touch it. MCW killed us. Stupid passes and he chuncked another foul shot.

well, up by 6 with about three minutes left...if we make a single point, we win. mcw the bed down the stretch.

I have said it all year. MCW has a higher upside but he is Scoop Jardine.

I would have no problem with stall if we could run it well. Most of the time it just means we don't have a FG for the last 3 minutes.

Without stall ball, I think we win this one in regulation. Playing not to lose when you have momentum in your favor, not a big fan.

Without stall ball, I think we win this one in regulation. Playing not to lose when you have momentum in your favor, not a big fan.

There is nothing wrong with the strategy when it is executed properly. It has been executed correctly atleast a half dozen times this year and once it has not. I will take that win % in close games. Our guards need to make free throws and lay ups down the stretch. I can understand the issue with not fouling on the last possesion of regulation, but not the "stall ball", becuase as a coach you need to believe that your players will make lay ups and free throws.

With the lead we had I actually wanted stall ball. It was the correct move and we win if MCW makes 1 free throw. It isn't like you give up on offense altogether with stall ball either. I didn't like the outcomes at the end of it, but that is a matter of execution and not the time you burned before the plays. Maybe Triche having the handle would have had a better outcome, but it he did miss a wide open layup as well.

Stall ball works 999.9% of the time. But god forbid the players don't execute and it's faulty philosophy.

Blame jb for not getting the ball into Brandon's hands down the stretch, but when you've got six scholarship player left and you're up two possessions snd the other team is letting you bleed the clock it's not even a debatable strategy.

JB knows more about the game of basketball than I will ever dream to know. However, the stall ball tactic infuriates me. I understand why we do it, and understand that if MCW hit's that free throw the game is over, but why let it come to that when you have Nova on their heels with a good flow going on offense? Yes, it seals games and does most of the time, but it also makes it a hell of a lot closer than the games need to be, and throws the team out of rhythm. I also feel like it make the players feel rushed to get a shot off before the clock expires, causing mistakes. I think there are times for it, and today wasn't one of those times. I feel like to put too much pressure on the guys at the end, and it was too much.

would have worked to perfection had MCW made a FT

with our 25 (TWENTY FIVE) year history of ft's - do you think its smart to play stall ball leaving the entire game on the line to someone who has the yips at the line?

Stall ball works 999.9% of the time. But god forbid the players don't execute and it's faulty philosophy.

Blame jb for not getting the ball into Brandon's hands down the stretch, but when you've got six scholarship player left and you're up two possessions snd the other team is letting you bleed the clock it's not even a debatable strategy.

Yeah, my biggest beef down the stretch of regulation was how could JB (with the plethora) of timeouts he had at his disposal not demanding Brandon (not to mention Brandon himself as the senior & leader) at some point having the ball in his hands. For BT to not even touch the ball the final 3 minutes of regulation is just unfrigging believable. :bang:

that is just not true.

and like many have said - taking the time off the clock is a good thing.

Starting the play at 11, 9, and 8 seconds left with the play being MCW go to the hoop is borderline insane.

that is just not true.

and like many have said - taking the time off the clock is a good thing.

Starting the play at 11, 9, and 8 seconds left with the play being MCW go to the hoop is borderline insane.
I think we agree. The decision to stall=good. The decision to exclusively rely on mcw every possession=bad.

Shortening the game is not a debatable strategy in that circumstance.

I think we agree. The decision to stall=good. The decision to exclusively rely on mcw every possession=bad.

Shortening the game is not a debatable strategy in that circumstance.

I think JB needs to start the play with 13-16 seconds on the clock as opposed to 7-11.

And run a play.

agreed...stall may have worked...but in last 3+minutes Triche had the ball for less than 15 seconds...MCW has not demonstrated his ability to make the play in last 10 seconds...in fact, there were 6 times in the game he drove and threw up bricks...accounting for 6 pts on free throws. Fact is, MCW isnt that good because he is not consistent.

Stall ball never works when you fight the entire half for the lead and momentum. It always works when you've played extended minutes in the lead and in control.

It kills momentum every time in a close game of runs. Almost every single time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom