Stall ball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stall ball

JB made three mistakes today:

1. Not calling a TO down the stretch in regulation to recenter the offense around Triche.

2. Conceding the rebound on the free throw.

3. Not fouling up three.

Going to stall ball was not one of his mistakes.

What "stall ball" does is change the game. Why on earth would you change the game when the way you are playing it is winning? The way to win game at the elite level is to play with confidence and aggression. "Stall ball" takes away confidence and aggression, and gives it on a silver platter to the other team.

Why would you change the game? Because it works. Triche was undefeated playing stall ball until today. So much for that silver platter.

JB hasn't put a player on the lane to get a rebound in that situation since March 30, 1987.
Yeah. It's weird. Even if something goes horribly wrong and you commit a foul there it's not a terrible idea to put them on the line when you're up 3.

Why would you change the game? Because it works. Triche was undefeated playing stall ball until today. So much for that silver platter.

the problem with this argument is that when you are up 6 with the ball and sub 3 minutes to play - you should win close to 100% of the time.

It didnt work today. and i can name numerous times that it hasnt. and when you win at a 90% clip playing stall ball - in cases where you should win 95% of the time, it doesnt work.

Now, i agree that we take 15 seconds off the clock... but I do think its incredibly stupid to take the air completely out of the ball as we did today.

JB hasn't put a player on the lane to get a rebound in that situation since March 30, 1987.

And that is SO STUPID. by far my biggest pet peeve.

FT's are rhythmic, and they are superstiticous.

DONT TAKE THE GUYS OFF THE LINE. concede the rebound all you want to so you dont get a 85 ft foul like nova(??) did in the tournament. But for God's sake keep them on the line for consistency.

IT HAS TO WORK BETTER THAN OUR FT HISTORY SINCE MARCH 30, 1987.

the problem with this argument is that when you are up 6 with the ball and sub 3 minutes to play - you should win close to 100% of the time.

Which we do.

It didnt work today. and i can name numerous times that it hasnt.

Name one other time in the last four years.

and when you win at a 90% clip playing stall ball - in cases where you should win 95% of the time, it doesnt work.

Those are phony percentages.

This is really a damned if you do damned if you don't argument. If we came down and chucked up 2 hurried shots when we were up 6 and lost, this thread title would be "Run the Clock!"

So you admit you are pulling your comment from where the sun doesn't shine. Just checking.

How did you arrive at that ridiculous conclusion? What I'm stating is fact. Today was the first time we lost a game playing stall ball since the Flynn/Devo/Harris days. Go back and look at the games we've lost.

Name one other time we've lost playing stall ball since he arrived.

pretty sure we haven't lost in stall ball in the last 4 years.

maybe the butler game, but that would have only been a possession or 2 with 5 min to go. then they went on a tear.

This is really a damned if you do damned if you don't argument. If we came down and chucked up 2 hurried shots when we were up 6 and lost, this thread title would be "Run the Clock!"

i think the vitriol is the play call.

we ran a 1.5 on 3 with MCW and DC.

and started the play too late.

Which we do.

Name one other time in the last four years.

Those are phony percentages.

questionable.

i already agreed with you.

i didn't call those percentages fact at all. those were arbitrary numbers proving a point. i believe it was beyond obvious. i am not kenpom. but if we win 94% of the time playing stallball, but should win 95% - its not a good strategy.

questionable.

i already agreed with you.

i didn't call those percentages fact at all. those were arbitrary numbers proving a point. i believe it was beyond obvious. i am not kenpom. but if we win 94% of the time playing stallball, but should win 95% - its not a good strategy.

Except we're winning more than 95% of the time with stall ball. That's how your percentages (and point) are phony.

Not our way? Have you been in a coma for the past 35 years?

Stall ball worked to perfection today. If you cant see that then i cant help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Not our way" in the sense that SU is traditionally a Zone D/transition team, which is what I and the fans love. "Not our way" in the sense that every time we DO use the stall (granted, successfully), JB invites a firestorm of criticism on these boards for deflating the team's momentum. At least that's what I've seen while I've been in my coma for the past 35 years. Personally, I think the stall was called for today with a 6-point lead; it was just poorly executed.-VBOF

Except we're winning more than 95% of the time with stall ball. That's how your percentages (and point) are phony.

you are out of your mind. how many games have we stall balled this year?

1. detroit - almost cost us (that's a game we should have won 10000% of time)
we didnt do it vs usf
2. im going to give you prov - but that was only 1 possession with 4+ min to go. a game we should win 100%
3. @ nova and we lose (up 6 with under 3 with the ball)

we are 1/3 this year. and that's giving you providence which is very questionable.

you are out of your mind. how many games have we stall balled this year?

1. detroit - almost cost us (that's a game we should have won 10000% of time)
we didnt do it vs usf
2. im going to give you prov - but that was only 1 possession with 4+ min to go. a game we should win 100%
3. @ nova and we lose (up 6 with under 3 with the ball)

we are 1/3 this year. and that's giving you providence which is very questionable.

We both agree that it's worked all but once in the last four years. And you're only mentioning close games where we played stall ball. What about the double-digit wins?

You said you could name numerous examples where it didn't work. So far you haven't named one.

We both agree that it's worked all but once in the last four years. And you're only mentioning close games where we played stall ball. What about the double-digit wins?

You said you could name numerous examples where it didn't work. So far you haven't named one.

the worst of all time the paul harris pitt game.

i agreed that its only not worked once in the last 4 years. But year in and year out we let teams back into games because of it. and on too many occasions lose the game. you get the benefit of the doubt because the last 3.5 years are the best in the schools history. the previous 6 though, were pretty freaking dark (post championship - and dark for our history... not syracuse football dark).

the worst of all time the paul harris pitt game.

i agreed that its only not worked once in the last 4 years. But year in and year out we let teams back into games because of it. and on too many occasions lose the game. you get the benefit of the doubt because the last 3.5 years are the best in the schools history. the previous 6 though, were pretty freaking dark (post championship - and dark for our history... not syracuse football dark).

So you've named the most obvious example of them all. Go on.

Who cares if we let teams back in? As long as we win, it doesn't matter.

It's not like every loss from that six-year period was due to playing stall ball.

So you've named the most obvious example of them all. Go on.

Who cares if we let teams back in? As long as we win, it doesn't matter.

It's not like every loss from that six-year period was due to playing stall ball.

flying off to Madrid. back on Tuesday. we'll continue this debate.

Go cuse

re: stall ball has not failed in quite some time - didn't we fight back against Butler in 2010 and take a lead with a little over 5 minutes to go ( i believe up 4 pts), then slow it down for a couple of possessions? I believe we next scored with about 30 seconds to go. I remember at least a couple of long possessions where we missed shots or had a turnover late in the shot clock. I don't remember the sequences at the end of the Marquette NCAA game.

re: stall ball has not failed in quite some time - didn't we fight back against Butler in 2010 and take a lead with a little over 5 minutes to go ( i believe up 4 pts), then slow it down for a couple of possessions? I believe we next scored with about 30 seconds to go. I remember at least a couple of long possessions where we missed shots or had a turnover late in the shot clock. I don't remember the sequences at the end of the Marquette NCAA game.

The Butler game wasn't stall ball. It comes up every year and every year we go back to the tape. If you want me to break it down again, I will, but I won't have time until late tonight or tomorrow.

flying off to Madrid. back on Tuesday. we'll continue this debate.

Go cuse

Enjoy. You should have plenty of time on the flight to come up with some more examples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom