Stanley Cup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stanley Cup

I get it but it’s just dumb.
You play your division rivals 4 times.
You play the other division in your conference 3 times.
Then you play home/home with the other conference.

I don’t get why they keep it in divisions till the conference finals.
Just make it 1-8 in your conference or make divisional play even more than just 4 games.

i agree the format is odd.

I'm assuming you are a B's fan...you would much rather play TB then Pitt to survive and advance. Pitt has that May magic and will be very very tough for anyone to beat in a 7 game series.

i agree the format is odd.

I'm assuming you are a B's fan...you would much rather play TB then Pitt to survive and advance. Pitt has that May magic and will be very very tough for anyone to beat in a 7 game series.
Bruins matchup well with the Lightning they have dominated recently.
Kinda like Sabres have been pests for the Bs.

I agree it’s a good matchup for the Bruins but I am trying to be fair. Tampa and Boston had way more points than Washington-Pittsburgh.
I think the ECF will be Boston-Pittsburgh.

I guess they want to put more emphasis on divisional play and winning your division. It also sets up what is essentially a divisional championship in the second round of the playoffs.

I did like it better when they used to reseed after the first round. Wish they would do that again.

That was quite a long time ago. Anyway, the owners all complained about high travel costs so it was nixed.

Pitt has that May magic and will be very very tough for anyone to beat in a 7 game series.

Yep, they do. Just like my Blackhawks did ... until last year. Nothing says "You're slowing down" like playoff hockey and a few 7 game series b2b. So I guess we'll see. I'm now pulling for the Jets. But since the Leafs, Anaheim and LAK are now out, I'm in ABB (anyone but Boston) mode. Nashville, Winnipeg and Vegas all have hot goalies and play 4 lines balls-to-the-wall, who wear out the other team. :D

The seeding of the NHL playoffs so stupid.

The Bruins and Leafs were 2nd and 3rd in the East points wise.
Leafs got screwed playing the Bruins when they would have been the 4 seed under the old format.

Now the second round has Lightning and Bruins who finished first and second in the East by miles over Capitals and Penguins.
If you want to give the division winner the 2 seed fine but the second round should be
1. Lightning vs. 4 Penguins
2. Capitals vs. 3 Bruins

Instead it’s 1 vs. 2 and 3 vs. 4 points wise.

Same in the West with Nashville vs. Winnipeg. They are 1-2 in the West playing in the 2nd round.

This format is just stupid. It doesn’t reward the regular season results at all.

Ya it feels like hockey trying too hard to either be different or boost rivalries/intrigue.
But then in other aspects they copy other sports with stupid replay (was this guy's skate a 1/4 inch offsides 3 minutes ago?).
At least the Pens-Caps 2nd round series isn't the de facto Cup Finals this year.

Yep, they do. Just like my Blackhawks did ... until last year. Nothing says "You're slowing down" like playoff hockey and a few 7 game series b2b. So I guess we'll see. I'm now pulling for the Jets. But since the Leafs, Anaheim and LAK are now out, I'm in ABB (anyone but Boston) mode. Nashville, Winnipeg and Vegas all have hot goalies and play 4 lines balls-to-the-wall, who wear out the other team. :D
Playoff hockey is bigger, stronger, and faster. Those 7 game series are meat grinders on the body too.

I got no dog in the fight...Sabres fan first and Hawks fan second. The East is wide open (well besides we all know the Caps will choke). I have a hard time seeing anyone out west beating the Preds in a 7 game series but anything is possible.

Ya it feels like hockey trying too hard to either be different or boost rivalries/intrigue.
But then in other aspects they copy other sports with stupid replay (was this guy's skate a 1/4 inch offsides 3 minutes ago?).
At least the Pens-Caps 2nd round series isn't the de facto Cup Finals this year.

People around here mock the Caps as a 1 seed being unable to get past the 2nd round.

The last 2 years, they've played the best team in the NHL in the 2nd round and lost in 6 and 7 respectively. Who then went on to win the cup.

Disappointing to keep losing to them, but the dumb NHL playoff system allows the easy lack of perspective.

The Preds/Jets series has been amazing thus far.This one has the look of a 7 game meat grinder.

Al with two more tonight. Not bad for a 21 yr old from Bville.

Vegas is for real. Hard not to root for them. As a caps fan they have our former GM (who was rightfully fired) and Nate Schmidt who is a great player and teammate. He is greatly missed. We were always going to lose a great player due to expansion. At the time the decision was whether to let Schmidt or Wilson go. Caps made the right call keeping Willy but I love Schmidt.

As for the playoff format, it's not perfect but I can live with it, I think. Just stick to one format. Caps have a chance once again to put a stake thru the Pens, I just hope this is the year they can finally do it. It will feel amazing and wouldn't want it any other way.

A big reason why Toronto and Boston had a high point total was because they had five of the worst teams in the East in their division, which allowed them to rack up points. I don't want to hear complaints about them facing off in round 1. Both Washington and Pit are better teams than either Toronto or Boston.

Vegas is for real. Hard not to root for them. As a caps fan they have our former GM (who was rightfully fired) and Nate Schmidt who is a great player and teammate. He is greatly missed. We were always going to lose a great player due to expansion. At the time the decision was whether to let Schmidt or Wilson go. Caps made the right call keeping Willy but I love Schmidt.

As for the playoff format, it's not perfect but I can live with it, I think. Just stick to one format. Caps have a chance once again to put a stake thru the Pens, I just hope this is the year they can finally do it. It will feel amazing and wouldn't want it any other way.

A big reason why Toronto and Boston had a high point total was because they had five of the worst teams in the East in their division, which allowed them to rack up points. I don't want to hear complaints about them facing off in round 1. Both Washington and Pit are better teams than either Toronto or Boston.

it's not like baseball where you play each team in your division 19 times. the bruins , leafs, and lightning also had to play two other really good teams 4 times . i think all three of those teams are better than washington and pittsburgh.

Hell froze last night... GO CAPS!!!!
2018-05-08_0757.png

Unreal an expansion team getting this far. What a great story.if the rangers can't win it I hope they do.
Expansion is really different in the age of free agency than it was in '62 with the Mets. From what I understand, Jacksonville in the NFL was able to take their expansion roster players, add some decent free agents to that mix, and come out with a good team. When you consider that there are more good players in sport now, I imagine that some of the decisions on who to protect in the expansion draft were very, very difficult. Personally, I think it was getting Fleury and Subban to play in the goal that was their boost.

Last edited:
it's not like baseball where you play each team in your division 19 times. the bruins , leafs, and lightning also had to play two other really good teams 4 times . i think all three of those teams are better than washington and pittsburgh.

Suuuure...

Two teams that have already been eliminated are better than a team that just took out the two time defending champs, in their building.

Remains to be seen about Tampa but if Holtby keeps this level of play up the Caps will be an extremely tough out. Banged up and all.

Last edited:
Wouldn't want it any other way. Caps year.

Just hope they get Backstrom and Burakovsky back for the TB series. Going to need all hands on deck because the Lightning are no joke.

Beating Pittsburgh without those two, along with Wilson, is quite an accomplishment. That's 50% of the first 2 lines.

You play your division 4 times.
The other division 3 times.
It’s not like the schedules were loaded with more cupcakes.
Boston, Toronto were better than Washington and Pittsburgh.
Tampa is a solid favorite over Washington but it’s hockey either could win.

Just hope they get Backstrom and Burakovsky back for the TB series. Going to need all hands on deck because the Lightning are no joke.

Beating Pittsburgh without those two, along with Wilson, is quite an accomplishment. That's 50% of the first 2 lines.

Exactly. Was coming back here to make that same point. With three out of the top six forwards out, to take out a team that expects to win, is really unbelievable.

People who hate on Barry Trotz don’t seem to get it. Everyone expected this team to drop off immensely from last year, and that has not happened whatsoever. The buy-in defensively is so noticeable this year and that’s gotta be credit to Trotz.

We are stingy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom