Star ratings | Syracusefan.com

Star ratings

dasher

Living Legend
Thought I would look back at the star ratings that our guys got coming out of high
school. I went to 247 and I realize that the other sites might be different. Probably are.

Carlos Vettorello 3 stars .85
Caleb Okechukwu 3 stars .83
Mikel Jones 3 stars .88 I know 1 site had him at 4 stars
Steve Linton 3 stars .85
Matthew Bergeron 3 stars .85
Courtney Jackson 3 stars .84
Garrett Williams 3 stars .82
Rob Hanna 3 stars .86
Damien Alford 3 stars .86
Sean Tucker 3 stars .85
Stefon thompson 3 stars .84
Marlowe Max 3 stars .84
Justin Barron 3 stars .84
Trebor Pena 3 stars .83
I certainly think a lot of those guys are 4 stars now

There are some 5 star players in there and that's why we have the hope that we have. Bergeron/Tucker/GW

Money and I got into a discussion (which we both agreed) that the majority of kids from non-top flight HS programs (where tons of eyes are) or the kids that the alabamas, NDs, Clemsons of the world aren’t noticing, don’t get properly evaluated by recruiting services. So I fully expect we “secretly” had prospects with greater potential than the services realized (if they even evaluated them properly in the first place, which I largely doubt)

Why spend time evaluating an SU commit that you’ve never heard of or seen before? Spending an hour to do a “thorough” evaluation of that kid and writing it up won’t make you or the company more money since there are no subscribers there. When there are roughly 50,000 kids out their to eval, why waste time on one of them that is going to a meh program with no subscribers to our website/service? Just slap an average 3 star 85 rating on a kid and move on to someone else who needs to be rated.

Or just do what Dohn does and drop the kids rating because he goes to SU or raise it when he commits to Rutgers (but drop it when the winds of decommitment start blowing through…)

There’s a reason college staffs do their own talent evaluations and don’t just go based on whatever the daily or Rvals sites say. Nobody in the business (not that I know many) on the actual university side takes those things seriously. So many reasons to rate this kid over that one. From political to financial to bribery to a whole bunch of reasons other than strictly talent evaluation why one kid gets one rating and another gets a different one.

Path to success for our program appears to be bringing in 3 star players that outplay their ranking, mixed in with 4 star dudes we get from the portal not happy with the PT situation at the factory they decided to go to.

Path to success for our program appears to be bringing in 3 star players that outplay their ranking, mixed in with 4 star dudes we get from the portal not happy with the PT situation at the factory they decided to go to.
This is our best path to building a winner.

Stars are nothing more that a % guess on how productive of a CFB player they'll be

You'd rather start with a 5* than hope your 3* produces like a 5*... all that being said - it's nice when they do and we have a few. Getting more 4* through the portal, like Shrader and getting more 4* from high school is going to take sustained success.

Stars are nothing more that a % guess on how productive of a CFB player they'll be

You'd rather start with a 5* than hope your 3* produces like a 5*... all that being said - it's nice when they do and we have a few. Getting more 4* through the portal, like Shrader and getting more 4* from high school is going to take sustained success.
It's like Black Jack. Alabama and Georgia always seem to hit 21, Syracuse sometimes wins by staying on 15 and 16, and schools like TAMU seem to keep trying to hit on 18 and busting on 25.

Curious as to how many 3 stars we've had over the last few years didn't pan out.

Thought I would look back at the star ratings that our guys got coming out of high
school. I went to 247 and I realize that the other sites might be different. Probably are.

Steve Linton 3 stars .85
Rob Hanna 3 stars .86
Sean Tucker 3 stars .85
Marlowe Max 3 stars .84
Trebor Pena 3 stars .83

Another layer to add here is that many of these prospects were unrated by the major recruiting services when we assessed / offered / landed them. Then after they commit, they got token evaluated and listed as three stars.

So hats off to our coaching staff for:
  • Identifying high potential prospects
  • Identifying prospects who are great system fits
  • Landing guys who are high major athletes, irrespective of the star ratings

Now, all things being equal -- we would rather have higher rated recruits. That will come when we have sustained success, and we're well on our way. But this staff seems to excel at recruiting, even when we weren't winning with consistency.

I look forward to seeing what they can do when they have a bowl / sustained success they can sell on the recruiting trail.

Steve Linton 3 stars .85
Rob Hanna 3 stars .86
Sean Tucker 3 stars .85
Marlowe Max 3 stars .84
Trebor Pena 3 stars .83
When you see it laid out like that...WOW. Huge respect to our staff for identifying and developing talent. I've been very critical of recruiting like a G5, and there's several kids on that list that will hear their name called during the NFL draft.