Start fast but end strong, too | Syracusefan.com

Start fast but end strong, too

SWC75

Bored Historian
There's been much talk about getitng off to fast starts on offesne. I decided to break down the scoring in the 8 straight FBS losses we've sufferred to chart that. I found out we have another problem:

In the first quarter we've been outscored 19-55. If we played the whole game at that rate, we'd lose 10-28.

In the second quarter we've been outscored 36-58. If we played the whole game at that rate, we'd lose 18-29.

In the third quarter we've been outscored 55-57. If we played the whole game at that rate, we'd lose 27-29.

In the fourth quarter we've been outscored 51-86. If we played the whole game at that rate, we'd lose 26-43.

Our offense doesn't really get going until the second half. But the defense tends to fade at the end of the games. One is on the "up" elevator, the other on the "down" elevator. If we performed consistently well in either, we'd start to win some of these games.

Thanks for putting this together.

We need to come out and play well for an entire game on both sides of the ball, not just good offensively in the 2nd half and not just good defensively in the 1st half.

I think once we see that, it will be fun to watch.

but in the 4 games this year as a whole, NW 7, SB 0, Minn 3, US 21,

the sad part is that one play vs rutgers/uconn/minn/nw/pitt turns the tide and we had the ball with a chance to win or tie all those games.. none have gone our way since the toledo/tulane games.. long over due really.

it would be interesting to see how many turnovers we had in each quarter...that without a doubt is adding to the offense output..or lacktherof

This is partly why that first punt against USC killed me.

We are far too comfortable playing from behind.

This is partly why that first punt against USC killed me.

We are far too comfortable playing from behind.

Well said! Seems like we have to get behind by 2 or 3 scores before we decide to get it in gear. Coaches or player-leaders need to step it up!

we need to learn the killer instinct...and not just be the come from behind and almost win but never actually win guys.

we need to learn the killer instinct...and not just be the come from behind and almost win but never actually win guys.
Yup. You know who you always here "I'm proud of the way our team fought. We got down but came back and just didn't have enough at the end." from?

Bad teams.

The title of this thread reminded of the trainer giving his jockey instructions before the race: "Go to the lead and then improve your position."

Well said! Seems like we have to get behind by 2 or 3 scores before we decide to get it in gear. Coaches or player-leaders need to step it up!

And being behind all a time wears a team down. Not only do they get discouraged but they go on over drive to come back and often don't have what it takes to close the deal at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom