Starting Line for Next Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Starting Line for Next Year

I think we will see improved athtleticism at WR but less acumen.. The thing about Sales and Lemon they are both great technicians out there, if you focus on one the other will beat you, if you try to shut them both down West is open. We will miss both a lot. That said, I think we have some horses there. Foster, Kobena, Flemming, and Lewis will be in quite a battle

I'm not sure West has a starting job sewn up. My belief is that the WR corps will be a completely "what can you do for me going foward" type of competition. Past performance will count very little as they try to find ways to get more explosive players on the field.

Anyone see Hunt moving to safety? Other schools were recruiting him as an athlete. I think I remember him having a ton of interceptions as a senior. He certainly has the athleticism.

It is always hard to guess what improvement players at this age will or will not make in a year - after all, they are mostly still just kids in men's bodies. That said, here is a slightly different view (and it is "view" not "take" and I am not "reaching out" to anybody - who thinks up this nonsense?).

QB - I think it is Broyld or Hunt. If neither Allen nor Wilson are clearly the better choice, I think they will get shirted and, if the competition is close between Hunt and Loeb, the smart play is to go with Hunt as he has a future and Charlie is gone after the year. Cruel but that is the way it goes. As for Broyld, if the competition is close he has more upside than anyone on the team and he will probably get the shot, if not, RB. I say running back because he needs to touch the ball a lot and you just can't do that in the slot or elsewhere.

RB - The two best backs on the team might be Morris and Broyld (maybe even Run DMC). I like Smith and pull for him but he started getting his big yardage after Pugh came back. Many of his runs he was not touched until he got into the secondary. Same for PTG. Neither can make a big play out of nothing (very few can but I think Broyld is one who can). Even with as few carries as he has had this year, Broyld has shown some real flashes of brilliance. If he does not win the QB job, I think he becomes the starting RB - maybe not at the start of the season but by year's end I think he will be the guy. You are not going to keep him off the field.

WR - Apparently, Funderburk is the real deal but I think everything else is up for grabs. Seems like everybody else has the dropsies. I don't know what kind of hands Morris or RUN DMC have - is either a candidate for WR?

TE - Sugar Bear, Wales

OL - Mackey, Hickey, Trudo, Palmer and Robinson (maybe Knapp)

If the OLine is solid, and the receiving corp is above average, a true dual-threat QB with a talented group of RB's will make for a formidable attack. If just one of the QB's step up it could get very interesting.

They don't seem to play much D in the ACC (SU would be ranked 5th in total D in the 12 member ACC) so we will do just fine in the ACC. If we improve, so much the better.

While I think the defensive line will be in good shape with the addition of Wayne Williams and Raymon to Bromley and Pierce-Brewster. I am not so sure about the rest.

Lyn has improved as the season has progressed and has not made a dumb PF in weeks. He could be very good next year. Reddish (and Morgan) got beat badly more than a few times and they need to mature as corners. Hopefully, they will.

There is really no one to replace Shamwow so we just have to hope for solid play from Eskridge or maybe Desir who will both be a juniors at strong safety.
The backers will be helped by a strong DLine but it will remain a question mark of this defense. SLB: Spruille; MLB Lynch; WLB: Davis
I wish we had more depth at OLine and WR but guys may step up and surprise.

You could be right.

Selfishly, I'd love for JP to stay for his RS senior season. We'd have one of the better Olines in the country.

Maybe I misunderstood my source, he made it sound like JP was told he could go in the first round. Much like Chandler Jones, I think JP will wow scouts when he works out for them.

Chandler is a pass rusher. You really cant have too many, and the way they impact games those guys fly up draft boards. There are only 2 offensive tackles on the field and only one worth a high pick. Pugh has a limited celing . this year. The teams needing tackles are gonna look at Lewan and the A&M bookends. He cant surpass those guys and it would be an upset if he were to bypass Fisher from CMU or Aboushi from UVA. I do not believe any scout told him hes a 1st rounder in this draft.