Starting Line-up in the Fall | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Starting Line-up in the Fall

He was a true freshman. Cooney couldn't play here as a true freshman either, which is why he redshirted. It happens at power programs.

Waiters could't start at the Cuse. It happens. MG was ranked as the 7th best SF by Scout in 2011.

Is it me or does Cooney's form look better in this video than it did this year?

his motion is not from his waist not even close.

Ray Allen is a perfectionist and he believes in repitition. His form is perfect. Other Heat players take shooting lessons from him. Other than that, comparing Cooney to Allen is right on :rolling:

his motion is not from his waist not even close.

Thank you for posting a video that proves my point?

Look at the shot at 1:02 (the one that shows his full shooting motion). Where does he bring the ball after catching it?

Ray Allen is a perfectionist and he believes in repitition. His form is perfect. Other Heat players take shooting lessons from him. Other than that, comparing Cooney to Allen is right on :rolling:

In fairness, I don't think anybody is comparing Cooney to Allen. He posted the video as a response to an answer I gave about shooters, in general, bringing the ball down to their waist or abdomen to start their motion.

Is it me or does Cooney's form look better in this video than it did this year?

He looks more confident with his stroke. He doesn't seem to be rushing or short-arming his follow through as much as he did in orange.

Our exits in the last two NCAAT have been caused in large part by our disadvantage offensively at center - Sullinger and McGrady vs Rak/BMK. We need to stop that. I think the plan should be for DC2 to provide post offense. And once that post offense is here SU will be a NC contender. To get there JB needs to develop DC2. And he develops this post offense out of DC2 by starting him and feeding him. I can easily envision DC2 growing into an Arinze typer role, and the sooner the better. This is good justification to start DC2 at center.

If you start DC2 at center the question becomes who starts at pf between Grant and Rak. I think it should be Rak for the following reasons:
1. gets BMK time - he deserves it and JB probably wants him to have it. Also then has BMK play more than Roberson
2. gives JB an offensive weapon off the bench - Grant
3. makes it easy for JB to sub/play more people - which helps in a variety of ways.

I believe DC2 will ultimately provide exceptional scoring and rebounding from the center position. The questions in my mind are whether he can stay out of foul trouble and how soon he can defend the back of the zone to JB's liking. My gut tells me this will happen pretty quickly for him, as I believe the generally quicker pace of play and less physical style of defense we'll see in the ACC will work to DC2's advantage.

I believe DC2 will ultimately provide exceptional scoring and rebounding from the center position. The questions in my mind are whether he can stay out of foul trouble and how soon he can defend the back of the zone to JB's liking. My gut tells me this will happen pretty quickly for him, as I believe the generally quicker pace of play and less physical style of defense we'll see in the ACC will work to DC2's advantage.
I think even if DC2 comes back with the hoped for improvement in his post game he will cap out at about 20 mpg. His defense, foul trouble, and conditioning (hustling that beast like body) would keep him limited. With this depth I think JB will insist on incredible hustle and aggressiveness. Kind of like last year with the San Diego game where anything in the paint better be contested aggressively. An aggressive D like that will ring up the fouls real quick in the ACC.

We may see some late game offensive/defensive substitutions out of JB with Rak/BMK fighting to get the late game defensive stopper role (I think BMK has the edge right now - especially factoring in his rise in FT ability).

The most common thing I hear about Ray Allen is that he has perfect form. Hear it all the time. Ray uses his off hand to shoot. He flicks his off thumb. The ball hardly spins when he shoots a three. His form is by no means "perfect." In that video, obviously it looks perfect but when he is in a game he flicks his off hand. But, what you are right about Ray Allen, his repetition is unreal like you said. It is by no means ugly or poor, but his form is not perfect. JJ Redick epitomizes perfect form and same with Steph Curry. JJ Redicks is "Perfect." Regardless, Allen might be the best 3 point shooter of all time.

you see it real well in the middle rack. Clearly flicks his off hand, but his spin looks a lot better than it normally does in a game

Ennis, Cooney, Fair, Grant, Rak

Cooney and Rak have more experience at their respective positions. Grant has too much to offer to keep him off the floor from the start.

First 2 off the bench are Slilent G and Coleman.
JB is not not starting the local kid

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Syracusefan.com favorite Jon Rothstein;) had a couple of Cuse related tweets today.

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein 1h
Palpable buzz already surrounding Syracuse's Michael Gbinije. Duke transfer should start at SG 4 the Orange. Could also play some backup PG.

Early prediction on Syracuse starting five for next year --- Tyler Ennis, Michael Gbinije, Jerami Grant, C.J. Fair, Rakeem Christmas...

Syracusefan.com favorite Jon Rothstein;) had a couple of Cuse related tweets today.

Palpable buzz already surrounding Syracuse's Michael Gbinije. Duke transfer should start at SG 4 the Orange. Could also play some backup PG.

Early prediction on Syracuse starting five for next year --- Tyler Ennis, Michael Gbinije, Jerami Grant, C.J. Fair, Rakeem Christmas...

of course, last year before the season he predicted that DC2 would be Jared Sullinger & FOY candidate, CJ Fair would be Ed O'Bannon, Dirty was DNic (and likely national 6th man of the year) and, most famously, Jerami Grant was 6-10 and still growing.

I think he did correctly predict the initial starting five, though.

of course, last year before the season he predicted that DC2 would be Jared Sullinger & FOY candidate, CJ Fair would be Ed O'Bannon, Dirty was DNic (and likely national 6th man of the year) and, most famously, Jerami Grant was 6-10 and still growing.

I think he did correctly predict the initial starting five, though.
I like Mike G potential and think he'll start at SG, but when it comes to the PG department it's one of those I'll see it to believe it.

I think Keita will and should start. He has such a mature attitude. I can't think of a syracuse basketball player in the last 15 years(as long as I have been watching) with a more mature attitude then him. I have never seen a cuse player that I looked at and said he already has a pro-europeon nba d-league maturity, work ethic, and value of possession (that includes seniors). Keita had that at the end of his jr year. He just looked more grown up then anyone on the team all march. I think its masked by his lack of offense, but thats my 2 cents. imo Even compared to Dion working as a 6th man off the bench I think Keitas maturity would give him more reason to start in JB's eyes.

With as important as Dajuan is its really really really hard not to start Rak at PF. imo, all three are going to get around 20 minutes per game period so pf is common math.

I like Mike G potential and think he'll start at SG, but when it comes to the PG department it's one of those I'll see it to believe it.

I think there will be many games where Ennis plays all 40. I'm not sure about Mike G or Ron Paterson as a back-up PG.

I think there will be many games where Ennis plays all 40. I'm not sure about Mike G or Ron Paterson as a back-up PG.

depends on Gbinjes and now BJ(after seeing the mary kline classic) driving games and Dajuans ability to score in half court isolation vs transition. If they can score off the bounce we have way more then enough dribble penetration without ennis.

I really think BJ will be able to score off the bounce at the three but will he be able to rebound? Not to overlook Tyler and Grant either. But that extra dribble drive guy without ennis is needed. Maybe Gbinje can play the three while BJ plays the two with Fair. Thats three solid penetrators without Ennis. If Dajuan can post up isolate on top of it the thought of needing ennis out there would be laughable.

depends on Gbinjes and now BJ(after seeing the mary kline classic) driving games and Dajuans ability to score in half court isolation vs transition. If they can score off the bounce we have way more then enough dribble penetration without ennis.

I really think BJ will be able to score off the bounce at the three but will he be able to rebound? Not to overlook Tyler and Grant either. But that extra dribble drive guy without ennis is needed. Maybe Gbinje can play the three while BJ plays the two with Fair. Thats three solid penetrators without Ennis. If Dajuan can post up isolate on top of it the thought of needing ennis out there would be laughable.

Being able to dribble doesn't make you a PG our offense relies heavily on a true PG and we only have one let's hope he stays healthy!

Being able to dribble doesn't make you a PG our offense relies heavily on a true PG and we only have one let's hope he stays healthy!
I would hope that the coaches are working with some on the team to jack up ballhandling skills for the coming season.

Exactly. Being able to dribble and create your own shot is one thing, but running the offense is another. I think JB will see what Mike G and Buss can do with their opportunities at the backup PG role. All we need is a solid 5-10 minutes from either of them at that position because I think Tyler The Creator is a lock to play between 30-35 minutes per game.

Agree sometimes, but I don't always think we rely heavily.

1.09-10 scoop wasn't a penetrating pg he was a perimeter entry pass pg. neither were andy or triche pg's and we did just fine. Heavily because of AO's ability to pass it outside and good interior passing from the perimeter.

2.02-03 gerry wasn't a penetrating pg and we were pretty good even before Billy.
And Ennis will get as many minutes as 02-03 billy reguardless. Anthonys driving and warricks post up were a big part.

3.This offense won't be like devendorf and rautins from 08-09 needing flynn to find them on the perimeter. That team had no inside the three point line and back outside to the shooters play without Flynn's penetration. We will have 3-4 other guys who can move the ball into the post and out next year without Ennis. Question is can they find outside shooters?

4.We lacked the dribble penetration this last year without Mike. If we moved triche to point we had no SG to put up points. And we had no post up guy to kick it back out to Southerland on the perimeter. That won't be the case this year.

imo, the chemistry will be way less reliant on a pg if they can pass. Gbinje, Fair and BJ need to find the spot up shooters on some of their drives or always take it to the rim. And if Dajuan scores off his isolation he will open up spot up shooters by getting more touches. One of the things that makes dajuan look good is he is beginning to attack from both the left and right sides of the paint as well, that will prove well in set plays. JB made a point to show us that in march.

Sometimes a pg that dribbles less then a SG and relies on moving the ball around and entry passes like 09-10 scoop is better. If cooney can get open better at point and knock down 2-4 out of 5-6 spot up threes that could be great for this teams chemistry.

Agree sometimes, but I don't always think we rely heavily.

1.09-10 scoop wasn't a penetrating pg he was a perimeter entry pass pg. neither were andy or triche pg's and we did just fine. Heavily because of AO's ability to pass it outside and good interior passing from the perimeter.

2.02-03 gerry wasn't a penetrating pg and we were pretty good even before Billy.
And Ennis will get as many minutes as 02-03 billy reguardless. Anthonys driving and warricks post up were a big part.

3.This offense won't be like devendorf and rautins from 08-09 needing flynn to find them on the perimeter. That team had no inside the three point line and back outside to the shooters play without Flynn's penetration. We will have 3-4 other guys who can move the ball into the post and out next year without Ennis. Question is can they find outside shooters?

4.We lacked the dribble penetration this last year without Mike. If we moved triche to point we had no SG to put up points. And we had no post up guy to kick it back out to Southerland on the perimeter. That won't be the case this year.

imo, the chemistry will be way less reliant on a pg if they can pass. Gbinje, Fair and BJ need to find the spot up shooters on some of their drives or always take it to the rim. And if Dajuan scores off his isolation he will open up spot up shooters by getting more touches. One of the things that makes dajuan look good is he is beginning to attack from both the left and right sides of the paint as well, that will prove well in set plays. JB made a point to show us that in march.

Sometimes a pg that dribbles less then a SG and relies on moving the ball around and entry passes like 09-10 scoop is better. If cooney can get open better at point and knock down 2-4 out of 5-6 spot up threes that could be great for this teams chemistry.
I don't think Gabjon is talking about whether a guard can dribble or penetrate. I think his main point was having a guard that knows how to run an offense efficiently.

I don't think Gabjon is talking about whether a guard can dribble or penetrate. I think his main point was having a guard that knows how to run an offense efficiently.

fair point, but we might not need it. I think Cooney playing pg could be like 09-10 scoop. He really didn't set up to many plays. We knew Ao in the middle Andy and Wes on the left side Rick in the low post on the right, and KJo off the bench in isolation on the left where Andy usually was. Ocaasionaly Wes would end up somewhere else.

That whole team got termed "unselfish", but they had the weapons and good ball movement that translated to good offense. All set pieces aside, it was more freeflowing due to the weapons we had and some solid isolation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom