Starting Line-up in the Fall | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Starting Line-up in the Fall

imo. Theres no way cooney doesn't get ALOT better. First off hes going to get alot more minutes. At worse case scenerio he will be a solid spot up shooter who will score less off of motion and screens, and is only good for one drive a game instead of 3-5. He will shoot alot more and make alot more and has the hustle defense to become a better rebounder and passer as the years go on. He may even develop a pullup in the lane eventually.
The only question is him getting open for his spot up shots and I think he has a better chance to do that as backup pg, with the drivers around him.

I think it's more likely BJ plays at most 5 minutes a game when ACC play starts than any significant role. While he won't redshirt, I wish he would. With CJ playing huge minutes at the 3 and Grant being able to slide over, the only chance BJ has to see any significant minutes is if JB feels he can help from 3 point range. And no way does he play over MG and Cooney at the 2 and Patterson is more suited to play there physically in their frosh years. All IMHO of course.

And none of my comments should be construed as negative towards BJ. I think he has a bright future but he needs additional physical development to compete most effectively at the next level. Not to mention the basketball development he'd receive during a redshirt year. Imagine a 5th year BJ vs a first year frosh BJ. But from all reports and the rarity with which JB redshirts players, it's a moot point.

PG - Ennis
SG - MG
SF- CJ
PF - Grant
C-Rak although I'd love to see DC take it

Let's Go Orange!
I hope DC can come around and help this team as well as himself.I'm also hoping that Rak comes up with an offensive game besides slamdowns which are OK, but limited in opportunity and frequency.

every year seems people here underestimate the mooseman. and he yet he gobbles up all the minutes.

And he averaged 2 more ppg the last 9 games of the season 5.8 If he can keep that or get it up to 7-10 next year that would be good as a 5th option.

He also did a better job getting to the line. He got to the line shooting 4,5,6,7 and 10 foul shots in 5 of the last 9 games shooting 71%. His previous foul shot attemps were 4 three times and 3 once, only shooting 50% before those last 9 games.

He didn't score against the husky guy from marquette or Mcgary, or Pitt (understandably), and didn't play against montana. However Moose will no longer be a college kid next year but a man and that gives me goosebumps. It showed in his personality late in the year. I think he is going to challenge himself to do more.

Ennis, Cooney, Fair, Grant, Rak

Cooney and Rak have more experience at their respective positions. Grant has too much to offer to keep him off the floor from the start.

First 2 off the bench are Slilent G and Coleman.

Cooney and Rak have more experience at their respective positions. Grant has too much to offer to keep him off the floor from the start.

Love the idea of G and Colemans energy off the bench but not sure that lineup will be able to put up points early on. Only two scorers and ones the pg which can get you off to a really bad start early. On the other hand we are talking about Tyler Ennis so it could work easily.

Gbinije will be a leader without that we could be even worse offensively chemistry wise then last year. No knock Cooney could be great this year but he won't be a second scoring option maybe a real solid 3rd(which is why I like him at pg). We need Gbinije to be a 2nd scoring option. If Grant becomes a solid 3rd scoring option I will be happy he was a 5th option last year inmo. Dajuan will be a solid 3rd scoring option and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a 2nd (even early on). That makes Dajuan and Gbinije HUGER x-factors then Cooney/Grant on the offensive end and much more importantly offensive chemistry wise. And thats not saying Cooney and Grant won't be really important offensively either.

The problem with the above is it means BMK would get 9th man minutes. Roberson would get more time than BMK because he would be backing up both forward positions.

I think JB will make an effort to give his 4 year program guy at least 10-15 mpg. The easiest and most logical way to do that would be to give Rak some time at pf.

every year seems people here underestimate the mooseman. and he yet he gobbles up all the minutes.

Senior BMK will be the unquestioned leader of this team. Hell, he might have been last year too. Energy, Enthusiasm, and Barking in the middle of the zone. He, in my opinion, will be our best defender and we will take a huge step back when he is out of the game even with Rak and coleman.

I could see him playing the 2nd or 3rd most minutes on this team. His offense was even coming around at the end of last year. what did he shoot from the line in the postseason, 97%? ;)

cooney's stats last season are out there. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56997/trevor-cooney.
and frankly they are an awful read. certainly not starting 2g numbers.
i'd say he better heat up early and often next year. otherwise bench time.

I think the bigger issue with Cooney is he is not viewed as a combo guard as I understand it, therefore he is only competing for minutes at the 2G and the guys he is competing with are longer faster athletes who are not bad shooters.

I am struggling to remember a player without off-court issues who our fanbase has treated more unfairly than Trevor Cooney. I don't know if it's because the expectations were just way too high or what, but it is annoying.

Tyler Ennis at PG - no question. He's all we've got

Trevor Cooney at SG - beats out Frosh Ron Patterson (maybe not for long, based on last year)

CJ Fair at PF - no question

Rakeem Christmas at C, with Coleman off the bench?? Two McDAAs fighting again for a spot. Or do we move Christmas to F and start both of them?

Michael Gbinje (Sr) beats out Jerami Grant (So.)?? Both hot prospects.

Not at all clear to me.

Gbinije has been working out for a year as a guard. That's where he will play. Grant will be our power forward.

I am struggling to remember a player without off-court issues who our fanbase has treated more unfairly than Trevor Cooney. I don't know if it's because the expectations were just way too high or what, but it is annoying.

How are people treating him unfairly?

boohoo. his numbers were awful.expectations too high? maybe. but the reality was far worst than pedestrian.and he had a full redshirt year to prepare.tonsils are gone.he's on a really short leash.

Still a lot of people predicting Christmas will start at the 5 and ignoring that for the past two years any time he spent at center was out of necessity whereas his minutes at forward have always been by design. He may be called upon to play a little center again if Coleman and/or Keita are injured or both in foul trouble but he sure as s# won't start there. I think that the starters are pretty clear really. The only real debate is Cooney v. Mike G at the 2. And, let's all keep in mind that our starters are not always, in fact typically aren't, the 5 that get the most PT. I think we will see an exciting variation of our tradition of excellent 6th men by essentially having 2 of them this coming year.

PG - Ennis
SG - Cooney
SF - Fair
PF - Christmas
C - Coleman

Above are our starters but I think Silent G along with Grant off the bench will be a common theme, fairly early in the game, with each averaging over 20 mpg. Christmas in particular is in jeopardy. He had better show something early or could easily find himself lost in the shuffle by mid-season. Cooney at least showed a lot of hustle and energy as well as solid defensive play at the top of our zone last year but if G can handle the ball, he's a far more versatile offensive threat.

I think Coleman makes a big leap into his sophomore year and he and Keita split time in the middle just about 50/50.

Barring injuries or eligibility issues our hyped recruiting class won't get much PT this year, especially in ACC play. Roberson may get a few garbage minutes here and there but my guess is that JB's 8-man rotation is already pretty well defined.

How are people treating him unfairly?

I'm referring to those who act as if he has been one of the worst Syracuse players to suit up in awhile and those who have already totally written him off after a relatively tiny sample size. I'm not a huge Cooney fan and I expected more from him, too, but I feel like I have to overcompensate for all the hate.

I'm referring to those who act as if he has been one of the worst Syracuse players to suit up in awhile and those who have already totally written him off after a relatively tiny sample size. I'm not a huge Cooney fan and I expected more from him, too, but I feel like I have to overcompensate for all the hate.

I think Cooney can be a very good player for us down the line. It took Andy 3-4 years to really develop and then he had a great senior season. The one worry I have about Cooney last year (which is also why I feel that he will be in competition for the back up guard spot this year) is that he was in competition with himself for minutes as the 3rd guard and couldn't get them other than to spell Brandon and MCW out of necessity in the first half of games. You can see that he plays good defense and has an offensive game that can compliment his shot but he never hit his shot so . . . . don't forget his percentages from last year were with other teams daring him to make shots. Not knocking the kid I loved his hustle, he has really good hands on defense and has an offensive game that could make him very dangerous IF he can be a 3pt threat.

I think Cooney can be a very good player for us down the line. It took Andy 3-4 years to really develop and then he had a great senior season. The one worry I have about Cooney last year (which is also why I feel that he will be in competition for the back up guard spot this year) is that he was in competition with himself for minutes as the 3rd guard and couldn't get them other than to spell Brandon and MCW out of necessity in the first half of games. You can see that he plays good defense and has an offensive game that can compliment his shot but he never hit his shot so . . . . don't forget his percentages from last year were with other teams daring him to make shots. Not knocking the kid I loved his hustle, he has really good hands on defense and has an offensive game that could make him very dangerous IF he can be a 3pt threat.

That's exactly it. I saw a kid with a lot of potential who had confidence issues. He is a solid all around athlete and we've had guards with worse ball handling. If he can play with the right mentality, he'll be a strong contributor at SG. Mechanically, his jumpshot is fine and I'd rather have a guy who knows how to shoot who just has some mental blocks to get over than the other way around.

That's exactly it. I saw a kid with a lot of potential who had confidence issues. He is a solid all around athlete and we've had guards with worse ball handling. If he can play with the right mentality, he'll be a strong contributor at SG. Mechanically, his jumpshot is fine and I'd rather have a guy who knows how to shoot who just has some mental blocks to get over than the other way around.

I personally think his form is seriously flawed. He starts his shot too low near his waist. This is not an issue if he is shooting in the a gym by himself, but when guarded or being closed out on he seems to rush his shot causing him to miss. Now I do agree that he missed a ton of open shots that he should make with more confidence, but once he starts making them he will be guarded when that happens will find out if he is a player or not at this level. I wish him the best but that is a lot overcome in a year.

I personally think his form is seriously flawed. He starts his shot too low near his waist. This is not an issue if he is shooting in the a gym by himself, but when guarded or being closed out on he seems to rush his shot causing him to miss. Now I do agree that he missed a ton of open shots that he should make with more confidence, but once he starts making them he will be guarded when that happens will find out if he is a player or not at this level. I wish him the best but that is a lot overcome in a year.

He definitely has work to do. Gbinije fits the zone better, defensively, and Trevor will have to be a high 30% 3-point shooter to stay on the court.

As for what he'll do when/if defenders pressure him, I look at him like a Jordy Nelson. He's a white guy with black guy athleticism (sorry if this offends anybody). Jordy Nelson doesn't always get the respect from DB's that a similarly athletic black receiver would because white guys are perceived as slower or less athletic. Vertical leap and speed go hand in hand and Cooney has shown a very good vertical for a 6'4" (more like 6'3") guard. I'm not saying he's anything special, but I think defenders will underestimate his ability to get by them and finish. It all hinges on whether or not his ball handling can keep up with his feet and whether or not he can finish through contact in the lane. I don't expect him to drive much, though, and I think the other threats on the floor will free him up for jumpers.

32% from the field and 27% from 3. One of every 3 shots goes in, and 1 of every 4 three point attempts is good. That is unacceptable. Absent significant improvement, if Trevor plays significant minutes we are in trouble. MG will get the heavy minutes at the 2. Our team will be defense oriented and MG along the front line is a distinct advantage.

He definitely has work to do. Gbinije fits the zone better, defensively, and Trevor will have to be a high 30% 3-point shooter to stay on the court.

As for what he'll do when/if defenders pressure him, I look at him like a Jordy Nelson. He's a white guy with black guy athleticism (sorry if this offends anybody). Jordy Nelson doesn't always get the respect from DB's that a similarly athletic black receiver would because white guys are perceived as slower or less athletic. Vertical leap and speed go hand in hand and Cooney has shown a very good vertical for a 6'4" (more like 6'3") guard. I'm not saying he's anything special, but I think defenders will underestimate his ability to get by them and finish. It all hinges on whether or not his ball handling can keep up with his feet and whether or not he can finish through contact in the lane. I don't expect him to drive much, though, and I think the other threats on the floor will free him up for jumpers.

Vertical leaping and speed do not go hand and hand. Scoop and Devo both are very quick and can get by anybody, but never were very good leapers. Conversely Cooney can jump but he is not quick or fast so he is going going to struggle to get by people. Since that is not why he was recruited I don't see it as a big deal. His long shooting motion is a big deal. Name me one good shooter whose shooting motion started at his waist.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't think we do the sixth man thing by design...we just have too many players, and you're not going to start soph Dion over 5 yr senior Scoop.

People over think things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom