Starting Lineup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Starting Lineup

So then assume it's attack line of Evans Soloman Mariano.

Mid line of Salcido Lane bomberry/trimbo correct?
Or unless someone really takes a step up I fail to see Weston or Simmons making it, dark horse or Romano there possibly.

So then assume it's attack line of Evans Soloman Mariano.

Mid line of Salcido Lane bomberry/trimbo correct?
Or unless someone really takes a step up I fail to see Weston or Simmons making it, dark horse or Romano there possibly.

If Forkin is back on the team I don't see Mariano being moved to attack. SU has more then enough numbers there already and Mariano/Salcido are a formidable duo for any starting mid line.

Attack is the biggest question mark right now followed by close defense.
The staff appears to be high on Clayton Burt but there's a lot of bodies ahead of him. Again if the unit struggles I could see him given a shot.

Thats good to hear, I feel like Wisnauskas may have been more highly recruited. Have you or any others heard how he has done thus far?

Thats good to hear, I feel like Wisnauskas may have been more highly recruited. Have you or any others heard how he has done thus far?

I believe he is a near lock to red-shirt. He didn't play in the fall scrimmages like Burt so barring major injury issues he will almost surely sit this year out. He showed the ability to be a feeding attackmen in highschool so he could definitely take over that role in the future especially with great scoring attackmen on the horizon in Cook, Berkman, Basil in 2018 and Lauder Dordevic and Seebold next year.

We have only seen glimpses of both Solomon and Forkin, but my worry about having all three of them matched up with Evans is that the unit would be very dodge heavy. Jeremy, I think both you and I have very different memories of Forkin playing attack. In my mind he was a bull in the china shop, do anything you can to get to the goal and score. I didn't see much passing from him, but he did see most of his time in mop up duty. Solomon also didn't look to me to be a pass first attackman. Evans hasn't developed into an elite passer.

100% correct on Forkin. All we saw him do was dodge, primarily from behind the cage. He showed flashes for sure, but this notion that he is a feeder is pure conjecture and not based on anything we've seen, at all.

100% correct on Forkin. All we saw him do was dodge, primarily from behind the cage. He showed flashes for sure, but this notion that he is a feeder is pure conjecture and not based on anything we've seen, at all.

I don't think he played enough in his one year to get any sort of picture of him. If you go by his HS stats and what he did last year at Nassau he clearly can play a feeder type role. Outside of Wisnauskas who is red-shirting he is easily the most suited for that role on this Syracuse team.

I don't think he played enough in his one year to get any sort of picture of him. If you go by his HS stats and what he did last year at Nassau he clearly can play a feeder type role. Outside of Wisnauskas who is red-shirting he is easily the most suited for that role on this Syracuse team.

100% correct, which is why its odd to project him doing something we haven't seen him do at all. Also, he came in as a middie and had 20 assists his senior year (not a lot for a dominant high school player). HS and JUCO stats don't mean a lot at this level. Anything is possible I guess, but let's hold off projecting a guy who has been gone for over a year into a role that it outside what we've seen or even considered before.

I remember Forkin as a left handed finisher. Put up 5 goals and 1 assist in 2015.

Attack is the biggest question mark right now followed by close defense.

For Attack I have the following: Solomon, Evans, ?
It doesn't appear that Forkin made it back to Campus as he is not on the 2017 Roster. There is still time for him to make it but it appears unlikely at this point. To me this is the biggest concern right now on the team. Losing Donahue is a big loss and we still have no true feeder which diminishes the role a player like Rehfuss or Thorpe can play without someone to set them up. Assuming Forkin doesn't make it back Solomon will get the first crack to be the PG of the attack unit. Evans as a Sr. will certainly be a starter, Desko has a history of rewarding his upper classmen and after starting all year last year he is a lock to start barring an injury. I do expect that his leash will be short if he struggles mightily like he did at points last year. Really need to hope for a big Senior year jump from Jordan a la the last player to wear 22.

Shewell, Voight, and Grass would appear to be the logical third candidates at this point. Shewell has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy. Grass has a huge reputation but didn't show much in his one year at JHU. Former UA, he has a big shot to earn that third spot. The Roster lists Mariano as an attackmen but I don't see him being moved there unless the unit struggles mightily. The staff appears to be high on Clayton Burt but there's a lot of bodies ahead of him. Again if the unit struggles I could see him given a shot. I am a big fan of Thorpe, but without a feeder it's hard to see him getting big minutes. I would like to see Thorpe on the man up unit and rotating in. Wild Cards are Rehfuss and Voigt. Rehfuss put up monster high school numbers but left before playing a second at Holy Cross. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I believe he is more of a finisher then an initiator but his game may have evolved. Voigt like Rehfuss put up monster highschool number and then did a prep year. He spent last year playing middie and saw sometime on the 3rd line. He surprisingly started in the fall ball games which I thought was very odd seeing he didn't real play attack last year. He's a good overall player but he would fair better as a third option in a more experienced attack unit. With a young Solomon and an up and down Evans not sure he projects well as that third man.

Middie - Salcido, Mariano, Lane/Trimboli/Bomberry
This unit projects very well on paper and on the field. Salcido and Mariano are/should be pre-season AA candidates and there are litteraly a dozen prospects for the third spot. The light really seemed to come on for Lane late in the year as he shined against Albany and after two bad man up shots against Maryland he adjusted and buried his third look with a better shot/angle. Information coming out of the fall was that he continued to take another step forward and was looking to seize that third spot. I think he has to be considered the favorite at this point to grab that last spot. I do like his familiarity having played the second mid line all of his last year and a good portion 2 years ago. If Desko rotates that third spot at all, Lane could really add a scoring threat on the second line, SU hasn't had in a while. The other candidate for that third spot would appear to be Trimboli - Under Armor AA from Victor who everyone is high on. I am very high on Trimboli, and expect him to make a impact his frosh year. Bomberry was a very pleasant late summer transfer and a huge coup for the team. A deft scorer from six nations he has experience out the wazoo. SU has struggled a bit to bring in Native players since the Thompsons and that whole situation so getting Bomberry was nice to see. He gives a Desko an immediate man up star and a guy who can play on either mid line. If Bomberry won the third spot you could see a second line of Lane and Trimboli which would be extremely talented.

2nd Mid line - Like the first line there appears to be only one spot up for grabs as the two of three between Lane, Bomberry, and Trimboli will bump down depending on whoever takes that last 1st mid line spot. Romano has been setback by injuries but was able to make an appearance in the fall. SU can easily run three lines like they have in the past but the competition for the second line should be fierce. Simmons and Westin have the most experience but both were underwhelming last year and that's putting it nicely. Desko likes to reward seniors so Westin may get the first shot but he's going to need to produce. The staff is high on several frosh middies including Peter Dearth and Devon Sullivan, Dearth has already blown his redshirt I believe so keep an eye out on him. The red-shirt sophomore middie class will have another chance to break out after all three of them failed to break out last year. - Carlin, Ford, and McKinney. Schwasnick was moved to SSDM last year where he exceled and will play big minutes and start on the faceoff wing. There a few redshirt sophs including Hutchings and O'sullivan who will also be in the mix.

SSDM- After a position of weakness the past few seasons, SSDM looks very strong this year. Seniors Joe Gillis and Paolo Cifferi will get the start with Cal Paduda and Luke Schwasnick seeing extended minutes. This position has strength, experience and depth. 3 of the 4 main cogs are seniors which while concerning for next season bodes well for this spring.

LSM - Scott Firman has excelled here the last few seasons and he will remain the starter unless he is bumped down to close defense. Austin Fusco played well as the backup as a r-frosh last year and could slide into the starter if Firman gets bumped down. There is impressive depth at LSM, SU is stocked for the foreseeable future at the position with RF Andrew Helmer and Soph Jonah Swigart one to watch.

Close D - Outside of attack this is the second biggest question mark on the team.
AA Nick Mellen will be the leader and being only a true Sophmore he has plenty of room to continue to grow. Who will join him at close D is still up in the air this point however. Marcus Cunningham would appear to be a pretty sure bet to be a starter after seeing sometime last year and showing well in limited minutes. Third spot is up for grabs. Tyson Bomberry came in highly regarded but seemed to have some frosh struggles last year and saw little time. True Frosh Brett Kennedy seemed to make a nice impression in the fall but he sustained a knee injury in the alumni game and looks like a sure redshirt candidate. Laz Chavez will be in this third year in the program and should be able to make a strong case for PT on the man down unit at least. The staff is said to be very high on Jonah Swigart who could be a candidate to bump down if the staff leaves Firman at LSM. Lastly True Frosh Nick Dipetro is highly regarded and a USA today AA. He seems primed to make an impact.

Goalie - Until further notice this appears to Evan Molloy's job. After taking over midway through the season Molloy played extremely well outside of the Maryland game. The biggest challenge is likely to come from Ohio State transfer William Klan, former UA who played in the U-19 WC this summer. Klan was a surprise transfer this summer and will no doubt be looking to grab the starting position. Strang and Porter seem like locks to red-shirt at this point barring multiple injuries or defections.
Great overview per usual, Jeremy. I always look forward to the 1st "Starting Lineup" thread each January. Two things:

I'm not sure if Sullivan burned his RS in the fall (that is the rule, correct?) but from different things I've read, I'd bet that he projects as a SSDM. Strong, athletic football RB that the staff loves there.

Also, don't count out RSFrosh Andrew Helmer at either LSM or Close D depending on whether Firman switches to Close. He was widely regarded as the best Defender in NJ his senior year coming from a great Summit program.

Great overview per usual, Jeremy. I always look forward to the 1st "Starting Lineup" thread each January. Two things:

I'm not sure if Sullivan burned his RS in the fall (that is the rule, correct?) but from different things I've read, I'd bet that he projects as a SSDM. Strong, athletic football RB that the staff loves there.

Also, don't count out RSFrosh Andrew Helmer at either LSM or Close D depending on whether Firman switches to Close. He was widely regarded as the best Defender in NJ his senior year coming from a great Summit program.

I don't think scrimmages count, but I'm not 100%.

I don't think scrimmages count, but I'm not 100%.
Really rooting for Helmer, as my wife grew up there and we spent 20+ years there after we were married. Great town.

I'm not 100% sure - but probably 98% sure fall ball doesn't count re: blowing your RS.

You are correct about the redshirt and fall ball. If a player plays innthe fall ball scrimmages the redshirt is blown.

Spot on about Helmer, left him off by accident. He's going to have a grrst opportunity to earn some PT. I remember him coming in highly regarded. Will be interesting to see if he stands out once camp opens up next week.

Really rooting for Helmer, as my wife grew up there and we spent 20+ years there after we were married. Great town.

I'm not 100% sure - but probably 98% sure fall ball doesn't count re: blowing your RS.

Scrimmages in the fall count for lax. If a player plays the redshirt is blown unless there is an injury at which point the school can request a medical redshirt.
I'll take "I have no idea what I'm talking about" for $200, Alex

I'll take "I have no idea what I'm talking about" for $200, Alex

LOL, its one of those weird rules that only applies to lax. When Extreme isnt sure you know its a tough one.

12.8.3.1.3 Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year. During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Revised: 5/9/06, 7/31/14)

12.8.3.1.4 Alumni Game, Fundraising Activity or Celebrity Sports Activity.
A student-athlete may engage in outside competition in either one alumni game, one fundraising activity or one celebrity sports activity during a season without counting such competition as a season of competition, provided the event is exempted from the institution’s maximum number of contests or dates of competition as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17. (Adopted: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, Revised: 7/31/14)

Forkin is back on campus starting in the Spring. Grad student Orazietti will not be on the roster, did not participate in the Alumni or tri scrimmage @ Penn.

Because of it being a transition year I can see changes throughout the year!

Molloy - Klan

Mellen
Bomberry - Firman
Cunningham

LSM
Fusco - Firman
Swigart

Williams - f/o

SSDM
Ciferri
Gillis
Schmasnick

Mariano
Salcido
Bomberry - Lane

Weston
Trimboli - Romano
Simmons - Dearth

Evans
Solomon
Shewell - Thorpe
Grass
Wisnauskas

Because of it being a transition year I can see changes throughout the year!

Molloy - Klan

Mellen
Bomberry - Firman
Cunningham

LSM
Fusco - Firman
Swigart

Williams - f/o

SSDM
Ciferri
Gillis
Schmasnick

Mariano
Salcido
Bomberry - Lane

Weston
Trimboli - Romano
Simmons - Dearth

Evans
Solomon
Shewell - Thorpe
Grass
Wisnauskas

I think your right about potential changes throughout the season.
Wisnauskas is going to redshirt

They list him as an attackmen as well, which is not surprising.

Also looks like a walk on or two has been added.

Klan is now wearing #77.

Cole O'Brien and Alec Orazietti have disappeared (unless they're both getting new numbers and SU hasn't updated yet.

Klan is now wearing #77.

Cole O'Brien and Alec Orazietti have disappeared (unless they're both getting new numbers and SU hasn't updated yet.

Per Creaserat, Orazietti will not be with the program. No idea on O'Brien but wouldn't be surprised if he left.

Per Creaserat, Orazietti will not be with the program. No idea on O'Brien but wouldn't be surprised if he left.

That was Rob Orazietti, the transfer from Lafayette.

Maybe they both left?

That was Rob Orazietti, the transfer from Lafayette.

Maybe they both left?

I would say your probably correct. Orazietti was a grad transfer so he had his degree already maybe he just decided to move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom