State-funded Syracuse stadium would cost $495m, plus land and parking lots | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

State-funded Syracuse stadium would cost $495m, plus land and parking lots

It's 10 blocks from Lawrinson. Much farther from some of the frat houses on Comstock, or the apartments on Euclid.

Nobody's going to walk that after a BB game in the middle of winter.

They'd have to provide shuttle transportation for students from a few pick-up points around campus.
So you think kids won't walk 1 mile for a basketball game. Come on they camp out in freezing temps for weeks. One mile is a cake walk. If the basketball team continues to win attendance will never be a problem. If the football team can get to 8/9 wins yearly the kids will come. It's all about how good these teams are. We can put a basketball stadium in Cicero and the kids will go.

So you think kids won't walk 1 mile for a basketball game. Come on they camp out in freezing temps for weeks. One mile is a cake walk. If the basketball team continues to win attendance will never be a problem. If the football team can get to 8/9 wins yearly the kids will come. It's all about how good these teams are. We can put a basketball stadium in Cicero and the kids will go.

They camp out for Duke, yet they don't show up for Colgate.

I still think 44,000 is too small. Should try to be roughly the same size as now. Stay with your peers, in terms of stadium size. I like 48,000 - 50,000.

I used to walk at least a mile from my Dorm to Romney Field House for Hockey Games at Oswego. If you aren't a pu$$y or disabled it is part of being young--you walk a lot. BTW, I agree that SU will run student shuttles...also it is on Nancy's Connective Thingie too.

I still think 44,000 is too small. Should try to be roughly the same size as now. Stay with your peers, in terms of stadium size. I like 48,000 - 50,000.

I'm ok with 44k if it is built with some wiggle room to get another 3-6k seats. Cuse Demographics and HD TV has me thinking 44k is about right.

Those are awful comparisons, because when you think of traditional schools with great fan bases, those stadiums are on-campus.

What do you do about a school with an on campus stadium with bad fan bases?

The premise was that being off campus was an abomination. I just pointed out that a bunch of peer schools have more distance between campus and the stadium than worst case would be here.

A new on campus facility comparable to what is in place now is NEVER going to happen.

If the decision is to keep what is here is made, that's cool, but there isn't much that can be done beyond window dressing.

just tear down a bunch of the academic buildings, the Chancellor's house and turn them into parking lots and expand the acvademics at skytop then everyone will be happy. Then put the extra 400 million into the dome.

That's basically what the original plans called for. The stadium on one block and the next 2 are to be a mixed-use development area with parking, office space, hotel(s) and retail/restaurants/bars at street level. The whole object of the public investment was to develop a new neighborhood around the arena that could also provide new tax revenues. How effective that is, is up for debate.

14106982-mmmain.jpg
on gameday will they tell the people live in the yellow squares to move their cars across town?

on gameday will they tell the people live in the yellow squares to move their cars across town?
Isn't that what they do now in the University neighborhoods?

It's 10 blocks from Lawrinson. Much farther from some of the frat houses on Comstock, or the apartments on Euclid.

Nobody's going to walk that after a BB game in the middle of winter.

They'd have to provide shuttle transportation for students from a few pick-up points around campus.

Students will endure that walk if where they are going (or coming home from) is an event.

When I was at SU I lived on Clarendon, and EVERY Thu/Fri/Sat nights there would be mobs of kids walking to the M-Street bars from my street, Ackerman, Lancaster, etc. It was freezing and miserable and we did it because it was an event, so to speak.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the kid who won't walk to an off-campus stadium from the Mount because it's cold isn't walking to the Dome either. We're talking about a few extra minutes.

Ultimately, if they build a new place it should be located with consideration for maximizing attendance for the most amount of people. And that prioritizes locals over students.

TexanMark said:
I'm ok with 44k if it is built with some wiggle room to get another 3-6k seats. Cuse Demographics and HD TV has me thinking 44k is about right.

Can they build a retractable roof stadium and have wiggle room for as many as 6,000 seats?

If Kennedy Square is indeed the new site, it's going to be a tight squeeze. People are going to be parking and walking from all over creation to get there.

We already have the Marshall Street and Armory Square areas, so any restaurant or bar in that immediate area is going to have a tough go trying to make business on non game days.

It's going be awfully quiet and lonely down there on non game days. It's not like part of the campus is down there and students are walking by the area all day.

Can they build a retractable roof stadium and have wiggle room for as many as 6,000 seats?

They have to extend the footprint out and up to do that, or put in a glass floor. If that's case the I want the seats just outside the endzone

I used to walk at least a mile from my Dorm to Romney Field House for Hockey Games at Oswego. If you aren't a pu$$y or disabled it is part of being young--you walk a lot. BTW, I agree that SU will run student shuttles...also it is on Nancy's Connective Thingie too.

It was a one mile walk from the Romney parking lot to Romney Field House.

I used to hate when we played there as a kid. You're tired from the game, carry your equipment bag on your shoulder, stick in your hand, and go walk a mile on a narrow road with no sidewalk to get back to your parents car.

It seems foolish to me to build off-campus when you consider the difficulty we still have getting students to come to football games.

IF we get to 9 wins a year in football and IF we are in the top 10 in basketball, student attendance will be fine. But WHEN there is the inevitable down cycle in these sports, attendance will plummet.

If that matches a downturn in local resident attendance (highly likely...), playing in a near empty off-campus facility is going to make the challenge of righting the ship that much more difficult.

TexanMark said:
I used to walk at least a mile from my Dorm to Romney Field House for Hockey Games at Oswego. If you aren't a pu$$y or disabled it is part of being young--you walk a lot.
we used to always stop at that little liquor store on 104 for a little blackberry brandy to help ease the pain.

Thought I'd chime in as I drive past the area almost everyday, and add another consideration into the discussion. Interstate 81 is at the end of it's lifespan and there is debate going on with that which may play into traffic patterns and choice of location.

As far as the site goes, it could work. Four (4) traffic lights to the Dome (or from, depending on how you look at it). I was at Camden Yards this past summer, I for one would love for something like that to happen here. I say it's about time. There really isn't much in the area, although the University already has student housing on Fayette St. that would be right next to the proposed arena. It could work, it's really not that much further of a walk, and may be easier to navigate to and from depending on what happens to I-81. Sometimes we hold on too long when progress is what is really needed, along with an open mind and an eye towards the future.:noidea:

I know this is the FB board, but I don't post much and want to ask this question, forgive me if it was asked an answered already. Would Syracuse still be in consideration as a "site" in the NCAA Tourney?

Can anybody explain to me the actual need for a retractable roof? We have been fine without one for 30 years with the Dome, why a retractable roof. Frankly any future stadium in Syracuse should be a Dome, (air fueled or not). By making it a static roof, it would drastically reduce the cost of this beast, allowing for further funding to be spent on parking/in stadium amenities/shuttles from SU itself and other such necessities for making it amazing in all aspects.

Libero2 said:
Can anybody explain to me the actual need for a retractable roof? We have been fine without one for 30 years with the Dome, why a retractable roof. Frankly any future stadium in Syracuse should be a Dome, (air fueled or not). By making it a static roof, it would drastically reduce the cost of this beast, allowing for further funding to be spent on parking/in stadium amenities/shuttles from SU itself and other such necessities for making it amazing in all aspects.

No need for a retractable roof. It would only be used 3-4 times a year for football and 4-6 times for lacrosse. Maybe a few other events. But it would be sweet.

No need for a retractable roof. It would only be used 3-4 times a year for football and 4-6 times for lacrosse. Maybe a few other events. But it would be sweet.
A retractable roof on new construction costs are not much of a factor...the existing Dome is another story.

Students will endure that walk if where they are going (or coming home from) is an event.

When I was at SU I lived on Clarendon, and EVERY Thu/Fri/Sat nights there would be mobs of kids walking to the M-Street bars from my street, Ackerman, Lancaster, etc. It was freezing and miserable and we did it because it was an event, so to speak.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the kid who won't walk to an off-campus stadium from the Mount because it's cold isn't walking to the Dome either. We're talking about a few extra minutes.

Ultimately, if they build a new place it should be located with consideration for maximizing attendance for the most amount of people. And that prioritizes locals over students.

Made the walk from Ackerman to Marshall all the time

IthacaBarrel said:
Made the walk from Ackerman to Marshall all the time

There's probably a couple thousand students that live in those neighborhoods. Looking at that Kennedy Square location it seems like getting to a stadium there wouldn't be much more of a walk than what it is now for a large chunk of the student body getting to the Dome. Not everyone lives in Sadler/Lawrinson/Brewster/Boland.

There's probably a couple thousand students that live in those neighborhoods. Looking at that Kennedy Square location it seems like getting to a stadium there wouldn't be much more of a walk than what it is now for a large chunk of the student body getting to the Dome. Not everyone lives in Sadler/Lawrinson/Brewster/Boland.

Serioulsy, put a few beers in your pockets for the walk down, or isn't that is why the red solo cup was invented? Jesus, I remember one day walking down from Ackerman to a Phish show at the war memorial, next day to the SU/ Miami game in 94. Great weekend. I think the weather must have been decent because I remember people hanging out on Ackerman after the SU game. Eitherway, I think people underestimate the students, I just think we need to continue to improve the product