State of the Orange | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

State of the Orange

This isn’t 1985. The little delicate flowers who arrive on campus as true freshman have been in the spotlight since their early teen years and have played hundreds of games. They often times have amassed huge followings via social media and not likely to be disheartened by stiff competition. No, they are far more likely to be internally wrecked other things, such as the old guy who seems to be quite inconsistent in how he treats them
It's been well established that our old guy has been treating players the same for 48 years.

Yes, our players are probably more worldly than a generation ago, but even so, basketball is about teamwork. Getting five guys to mesh on both ends of the court.

If there was a year to start out with a weaker than normal OOC schedule, this year was it, with six or seven new faces on the roster.

We are the very definition of mediocre. We beat bad teams. We lose to good teams. Sometimes we also lose to bad teams. But we never beat good teams.

That's who we've been for several years, aside from some editions occasionally beating a good team.

We have some stupid schedule making. If you’re going to lose non-conference home games, they might as well be against Houston and Purdue rather than liberal arts schools
This was before the schedule makers realized that we would also start losing to the cupcakes.

For the Heck of it I applied that system for evaluating performances I proposed a couple of weeks back to this. The idea is that all games should matter, some more than others, and strong performances against good teams in losses should count for something. There are 363 teams. You rank them from 363 at the top to 1 at the bottom and divide that by 10, rounding down. Those are the points you get for playing that team. Subtract 5 for a home game but add 5 for a true road game, (in the other team's arena). Add the point differential in the actual game and a 10 point bonus for the games you won so victory get rewarded beyond just the statis of the points. Here is a ranking of our performances:

Boston College 2 = 49 points
Georgia Tech and Florida State = 47 points
Cornell and Virginia Tech 1 = 45 points
Oakland = 44 points
Northeastern = 40 points
Georgetown and Boston College II = 39 points
Richmond = 35 points
U of Miami and Notre Dame II = 34 points
Lehigh and Virginia I = 33 points
Notre Dame II = 28 points
Virginia II = 25 points
Notre Dame II and North Carolina = 23 points
Louisville = 22 points
Monmouth = 21 points
Bryant = 13 points
Illinois = 9 points
Colgate = 7 points
Total: 741 points

OK, I wouldn't rank them quite like that, either. And I don't know how that compares to other teams trying to climb onto the bubble. But I think a system with those purposes in mind would be an improvement. It beats one where Quad 1 and 2 games matter and the rest don't.
R.3d753630170d48a0bc9eac511193cc4a.jpeg

I actually watched the FSU game. First game I've watched in a couple of weeks. How many easy dunks did FSU have in the first half? 10? I admit - there was a defensive adjustment in the 2nd half - great. But it struck me as a 45 year Syracuse fan - I've never seen such weak interior defense. And against an 8-17 team?

We weren't playing Kentucky. It was against an 8-17 team.

Maybe they have looked better recently - and I just have missed it.

In any event - I guess we are now like Iona or St Bonaventure or something. 87th ranked team in the country?

Unacceptable. Ok, I'll head back over to the OT board now until spring football.

I am waiting for...

"If 21 wins and playing in the ACC conference isn't good enough to get in the tournament, then we shouldn't be in the ACC..."

Worst case scenario to get that close and snubbed... And then we'll be getting dragged through ”they lost to Colgate 2 years in a row" and "their ooc was weak and they didn't take care of biz" crap from the pundits...

I said exactly that. I acknowledge both, you only acknowledge one. Why is that?
I did miss and overlook the part where you said we could be worse. My bad, it was super early this morning when I read it.

For the Heck of it I applied that system for evaluating performances I proposed a couple of weeks back to this. The idea is that all games should matter, some more than others, and strong performances against good teams in losses should count for something. There are 363 teams. You rank them from 363 at the top to 1 at the bottom and divide that by 10, rounding down. Those are the points you get for playing that team. Subtract 5 for a home game but add 5 for a true road game, (in the other team's arena). Add the point differential in the actual game and a 10 point bonus for the games you won so victory get rewarded beyond just the statis of the points. Here is a ranking of our performances:

Boston College 2 = 49 points
Georgia Tech and Florida State = 47 points
Cornell and Virginia Tech 1 = 45 points
Oakland = 44 points
Northeastern = 40 points
Georgetown and Boston College II = 39 points
Richmond = 35 points
U of Miami and Notre Dame II = 34 points
Lehigh and Virginia I = 33 points
Notre Dame II = 28 points
Virginia II = 25 points
Notre Dame II and North Carolina = 23 points
Louisville = 22 points
Monmouth = 21 points
Bryant = 13 points
Illinois = 9 points
Colgate = 7 points
Total: 741 points

OK, I wouldn't rank them quite like that, either. And I don't know how that compares to other teams trying to climb onto the bubble. But I think a system with those purposes in mind would be an improvement. It beats one where Quad 1 and 2 games matter and the rest don't.

Well, one person liked it, even if he's called "Danger Zone".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom