State of the program and this fan(dom)...a tad long | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

State of the program and this fan(dom)...a tad long

You should have seen him in HS kid was a stud could make all of the throws he never came back from his injury which is a shame. Also sucks because that HS would have been a great pipeline for us.
He actually did come back from the injury and finally started throwing, but then was part of an assault back in CO and got thrown off the team.

Not really, as Loeb was a throw away scholarship in Marrone's first class, brought in just because we needed another QB. Kinder was the second option behind Jonny Miller in that class. I think Miller never playing here is even more depressing. That kid's tape was fantastic.

Agreed. And at the very least, Loeb has become an important contributor on placekicking special teams. He might never see the field as a QB, but he's performing an important role.

Agreed. And at the very least, Loeb has become an important contributor on placekicking special teams. He might never see the field as a QB, but he's performing an important role.

He's also the middle guy in our 3 man wedge punt protection.

I agree Bees -- the most recent comparison I can think of is former Stanford star Teyo Johnson, who was also a ridiculous athlete for his size. While Johnson didn't have the best NFL career, he was awesome in college as a hybrid WR/TE. You can create plenty of mismatches at this level when you have a kid like that.

I will also reiterate something I wrote earlier that a lot of posters are forgetting or overlooking. We do have a uber-talented dual-threat QB on this roster, and his name is Terrell Hunt. He is every bit the athlete Broyld is, but receives little fanfare on this board, and maybe that's a good thing. He was a starter on Christ-the-King's basketball program and probably could have played hoops at a mid-major program. Missing this spring hurts his development a lot, because I believe he would have made a strong push for QB2 this season. He's that talented.

He out played Broyld in the Upstate/Downstate game easily. Much more of a quarterback.

Not really, as Loeb was a throw away scholarship in Marrone's first class, brought in just because we needed another QB. Kinder was the second option behind Jonny Miller in that class. I think Miller never playing here is even more depressing. That kid's tape was fantastic.

That's what I was hoping then. That they were B or C list recruits, so the fact that they aren't developing shouldn't be of concern.

I wasn't as enthusiastic about Miller. I sat and watched an entire Mullen game his senior year, and he just like quite the project. He was probably already injured, but knowing how far he had to go, I never figured we'd see much of him. I always figured that if he were that good, or if that injury wasn't much to worry about, then he would have never ended up here in the first place.

That's what I was hoping then. That they were B or C list recruits, so the fact that they aren't developing shouldn't be of concern.

I wasn't as enthusiastic about Miller. I sat and watched an entire Mullen game his senior year, and he just like quite the project. He was probably already injured, but knowing how far he had to go, I never figured we'd see much of him. I always figured that if he were that good, or if that injury wasn't much to worry about, then he would have never ended up here in the first place.
I'll be very worried if Hunt/Broyld don't develop. If we go into 2013 and neither of those guys is ready to play, Doug might get the boot.

I'll be very worried if Hunt/Broyld don't develop. If we go into 2013 and neither of those guys is ready to play, Doug might get the boot.

I think I understand your reasoning and conlusion on this, but could you be a little more specific. Are you saying Doug is on the hot seat already or he will be next year if the QB position is a bust?

watching miller practice during the spring last year he was clearly behind kinder and loeb

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

What kind of bet is that? You love cooking surf and turf. Man up and strap yourself to a chair so everyone can throw salsa and sour milk at you.

And if you're right, Bees and CIL sit in the chairs.

Either way, the milk is in my fridge right now aging.
ahh the legend of Lil Joe. At least in my mind he's legendary to sit there and take that like a man (egg included if I recall correctly). Me I'm more like a little girl, throw some Pez and cotton candy at me if I'm wrong on this, that I could probably handle with my advancing age....

Now we're talking. A Tailgate Event to watch.

We could probably get SU to knock down an academic building to make room.

watching miller practice during the spring last year he was clearly behind kinder and loeb

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

that was right after he had started to be allowed to throw a football having only been tossing a nerf ball or something. i don't think he was close to 100% until this past fall.

I think I understand your reasoning and conlusion on this, but could you be a little more specific. Are you saying Doug is on the hot seat already or he will be next year if the QB position is a bust?
The latter. If Hunt and Broyld both bust we're f*cked and so is Doug.

Doug's seat's lukewarm at best right now

Understand you can only play 1, but part of recruiting a QB each year is that you hope to always have a fully developed QB ready to go when one graduates. From the reports we've heard, when Nassib graduates, we won't be turning to the Senior on the roster or the Junior on the roster unless we injuries push us to Plan C.

I also understand that recruiting over existing QBs happens as well, and that's a good thing if you go from a graduating senior to, say, a redshirt freshman or sophomore because you recruited a much more talented kid.

I was just referring to the reports that while Loeb and Kinder may be developing somewhat, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the level required for them to be considered a serious option. So I hope that's not due to QB development in general.

The concept of a fully developed QB waiting in the wings is not always necessary, especially if the chosen QB is exceptionally athletic & capable of being a game changer. I seem to remember McNabb coming in as a Freshman & blowing the doors off the competition. I remember watching his first game against North Carolina, & thinking that he would become legend at SU.

If you have a guy like Nassib who is serviceable but not really athletic, then you need him to be developed. There is very little room for error because he isn't a big playmaker. You get a guy like Broyld or Hunt, & he has more room to make mistakes. If he throws a few interceptions, he will make up for it by scoring 2 or 3 more touchdowns than a Nassib type would be capable...

The concept of a fully developed QB waiting in the wings is not always necessary, especially if the chosen QB is exceptionally athletic & capable of being a game changer. I seem to remember McNabb coming in as a Freshman & blowing the doors off the competition. I remember watching his first game against North Carolina, & thinking that he would become legend at SU.

If you have a guy like Nassib who is serviceable but not really athletic, then you need him to be developed. There is very little room for error because he isn't a big playmaker. You get a guy like Broyld or Hunt, & he has more room to make mistakes. If he throws a few interceptions, he will make up for it by scoring 2 or 3 more touchdowns than a Nassib type would be capable...

Agree that it's not always necessary if you can recruit a McNabb. As I've said, I really hope Hunt or Broyld can be a McNabb part 2. But until we see someone do it, we still have had a major QB void since that particular #5 left campus 13 years ago.

Great post buddy. I do disagree on one point though. I don't think AB will ever be the full time QB here. I think he will get a lot of touches in various ways and from various positions, but as he gets even bigger, I think he ends up as a TE who is moved around some and used in different ways not typical of a TE.
I saw too much of Broyld in high school to think that he will not be used as more than a TE. He is way too skilled and athletic. I hope he gets a shot at QB; without a star QB, a team can never excel beyond a certain point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom