Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Broyld

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kinder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OrangeBlood

Starter
We are a week out from the start of Spring practice. The most attention will obviously be paid to the QB. I know there has been countless threads dissecting every detail of the race. So right now a week out who do you believe will be the starter after the spring game? The battle may not be decided, but at the least there will be a leader.

Loeb: The most veteran and probably the best "throwing" QB. Throws a really nice deep ball but is VERY slow to get the ball. To be successful would probably need a very good line. He is more athletic than people give him credit. Much more so than Nassib. If Marrone was still the coach, I would think he would undoubtedly be the starter.

Hunt: Probably the best combination of a thrower and runner. Not as athletic as Broyld and not the passer Loeb is. Truly is an unknown however. Being suspended for spring ball has left him as a question mark. It will be very interesting to see what he can do next week.

Broyld: The best athlete and its not close. However he is probably the worst thrower and its not close. So much potential but can he throw the ball at a D-1 level? I wouldn't be surprised if he is not even playing QB by April.

Kinder: He has really not done anything since he has been here. He has been the constant 3rd/4th stringer. He is relatively and athletic and a decent passer. I would be shocked if he wins the job. I would also consider him for a position change.

As for me, I choose Hunt. I think the staff wants athleticism and someone they can work with for more than one year. He is the right combination of QB and athlete. If Loeb was a Jr. and maybe a little bit more mobile, I think he would have had a better chance. If Hunt struggles, I think they will go to Loeb quick. They could play both all year.

Position won't be won in the spring, IMO. Think this goes into fall camp.

Loeb or Hunt. If pressed, I give the nod to Loeb. But I believe bnoro is right--it won't be decided by April 20th.

I would just like to see SU have a real option for a backup QB and use, whoever that might be, during the season. The worse thing this past season was when Nassib took that hard hit and wondering if he would be able to come back in the game knowing that Loeb had no game time experience at QB.

I agree with Bnoro. No way this is decided after spring camp. I would think its Loeb's to lose.

I would just like to see SU have a real option for a backup QB and use, whoever that might be, during the season. The worse thing this past season was when Nassib took that hard hit and wondering if he would be able to come back in the game knowing that Loeb had no game time experience at QB.

You mean at the Pinstripe Bowl? When Loeb came in and threw a 6 yard pass for a first down (I think it was a 3rd down play to boot.)? And hurried back to the huddle in hopes that he could get off another play before Nassib came back in? The kid is a player! I think back ups (whoever they might be) will be fine as well. Not saying the job will be Loeb's, but if it is, I think things will be just fine.

Loeb has been next in line. Unless someone can improve significantly, he gets the nod.

You mean at the Pinstripe Bowl? When Loeb came in and threw a 6 yard pass for a first down (I think it was a 3rd down play to boot.)? And hurried back to the huddle in hopes that he could get off another play before Nassib came back in? The kid is a player! I think back ups (whoever they might be) will be fine as well. Not saying the job will be Loeb's, but if it is, I think things will be just fine.

I think Loeb can do the job too. I'm just saying that I would like to see the backup QB get some playing time during the season. Quite a few of the teams we played last year used more than one QB during games against us.

I think Loeb can do the job too. I'm just saying that I would like to see the backup QB get some playing time during the season. Quite a few of the teams we played last year used more than one QB during games against us.
If you mean if we were winning by 20 late in a game sure but I don't want us to use a backup just to use a backup. I don't see what that accomplishes.

I think it is Loebs job but I hope Hunt wins it...Meaning I think Loeb is solid and a solid choice. But I hope Hunt is a better QB thus wins the job.

If you mean if we were winning by 20 late in a game sure but I don't want us to use a backup just to use a backup. I don't see what that accomplishes.
It gets fans excited.

Loeb. I'm hoping for Philcox Part Deus. Philcox holds a special place in my heart. He was 4 for 9 before that 1988 campaign and played great in his only season starting. Oh, and he beat Ped State, proving the throttling they took the year before wasn't a fluke. Not to mention, beating LSU was sweet.
However, I'm still annoyed to this day with that dud against Ohio State. OSU had an advantage of it being their first game with a new head coach and having seen Syracuse play their first game a week prior. WVU with Major Harris was a tall order, especially with the revenge factor from the year prior's last second loss at the dome.
Philcox's senior season was the first real complete season of football I followed. Duane Kinnon and Rob Thomas visited my school with Coach Mac. Being a highly impressionable seventh grader, that was when I was all in for Syracuse football. That season is more special in my heart than the '87 campaign could ever be.
Realizing the tall order of matching that success, I only hope the best candidate wins out. I know Bud did an article on this already, but the situation just screams a Loeb/Philcox comparison. I would love it to be a similar situation, but whoever it is, I will feel much better about the direction of the program than I did just 5-6 years prior.

Poll is full of Fail because it has no Zach Allen option...

Who wouldn't want a team with RGLCL at the helm? It might take a little longer than Spring, but Loeb is ready for his Todd Philcox moment (season). At least, I hope so.

yea well have a 1 on the depth chat come august, but far from over during the spring. Looking forward to a few more intriguing story lines then in the past for spring ball

I think Loeb has the leg up, but ever since I saw Hunt at Fan Fest his freshman year I thought he passed P's "look-test". He just looks like a QB that can do some good things, whether or not that translates into games is up for debate.

Loeb. Even if they run a package with designed QB runs. Hunt knocking on the door. Either will be fine come season opener, so no worries about injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom