(Stating the Obvious) The turning point was Mike Hopkins | Syracusefan.com

(Stating the Obvious) The turning point was Mike Hopkins

Orangemen

All Conference
If Hopkins stays here as coach, he pulls in most of those northeast recruits he’s gotten and adds them to some of the players we’ve got now. Net result, were a better team. And these last few years probably were better than bubble team, 8 seed, NIT bubble team. Hopkins maybe runs into some coaching problems like he did this year, but with the recruits he got, we’d be better than we have been.

if Hopkins stays on as coach in waiting, we still get those recruits and JB smooths over any coaching issues mike might have run into. Last three years probably much stronger than we’ve experienced.

Basically, I think JB has been operating these last few years with a bunch of top recruiting targets basically just pulled right out from under him. Net impact of this to me is similar to the net impact the sanctions had on the program.

JB clearly still knows how to coach. The players are just a step down right now. We don’t need JB to leave, we need him to recover the recruiting hit that the Hopkins loss left on this program. The recruiting experts on this board can tell far better than I can if he’s doing that or not.

Bottom line to me, if you want to know what’s wrong with the program, it was the Hopkins loss. It was as devastating as the sanctions were on recruiting. Putting the sanctions and the loss of Hopkins back to back like happened here put us where we are today.

Do we have Buddy/Girard/QG with Hopkins
Only Buddy. Hop would have landed higher rated recruits and passed on Guerrier and Joe.

Dior and the cavalry are on the way in a few years so at least recruiting is on an uptick.

Joe is a good player. He shouldn't be the starting PG for SU. Green would have been an excellent player for SU and JB would have gotten so much more out of him as a player and student.
Yeah but remember Coach B wouldn’t be his coach in this scenario. Mike would be. So now you have to look at who will be better. JB and Girard or Hopkins and Green

If Hop stayed and JB let Hop bring in the guys he wanted Naz Carter would be competing for minutes with Buddy. Hamier Wright, Nate Roberts are sharing minutes with Sidibe and Dolezaj and prolly Isiah Stewart is Orange too. Team would look much different, with all of those guys not sure if then Girard and Quincy and Goodine get recruited based on numbers roster balance

The only that would have mattered is I. Stewart. I am wondering if he is having second thoughts.

If he is having second thoughts its probably somebody other than Syracuse.

This post is hilarious. It starts by naming the numerous problems currently facing the team/program, and then says we don't need to get rid of the "problem" (JB) we just need the "problem" to recruit better lol. That's like saying my car's engine sucks, but I just need it to do better, let's see how it performs tomorrow.

Face it, JB was only selfishly looking out for himself through this entire fiasco. He had an exit plan which is the critical factor here in terms of maintaining program-stability. Recruits need to know where a 75 year old coach stands in terms of retirement, and more importantly, who the next coach is going to be. Without that, they don't know what to expect by coming here. We had all of that, until someone decided his needs were more important than the program's. It doesn't help that nine times out of ten, the guy throws his players under the bus publicly.

So now is it any surprise why we strike out on just about every plan A target? It shouldn't be. Someone here is simply content with Dior coming here two years from now lol. What about the two years between now and then? They don't matter? Do you realize what a train wreck we have coming with Hughes leaving? I have news for you, the ACC is going to be better, and we're going to be worse. We're looking at possibly a 5-15 or at best 8-12 in-conference record. This is all because we have a selfish coach making all the decisions for his own good and not the good of the program, and an athletic director with his hands seemingly tied because he probably feels he can't get rid of a legend.. Meanwhile, I and everyone else here who lives in this town will keep paying money and make the long walks up to the Dome on blistering cold weeknights to watch us lose to inferior programs.

Last edited:
I would have taken Quade over any guard on our roster minus the academic violations.

Yeah that was my point. If he wasn't playing we would be worse off.

This post is hilarious. It starts by naming the numerous problems currently facing the team/program, and then says we don't need to get rid of the "problem" (JB) we just need the "problem" to recruit better lol. That's like saying my car's engine sucks, but I just need it to do better, let's see how it performs tomorrow.

Face it, JB was only selfishly looking out for himself through this entire fiasco. He had an exit plan which is the critical factor here in terms of maintaining program-stability. Recruits need to know where a 75 year old coach stands in terms of retirement, and more importantly, who the next coach is going to be. Without that, they don't know what to expect by coming here. We had all of that, until someone decided his needs were more important than the program's. It doesn't help that nine times out of ten, the guy throws his players under the bus publicly.

So now is it any surprise why we strike out on just about every plan A target? It shouldn't be. Someone here is simply content with Dior coming here two years from now lol. What about the two years between now and then? They don't matter? Do you realize what a train wreck we have coming with Hughes leaving? I have news for you, the ACC is going to be better, and we're going to be worse. We're looking at possibly a 5-15 or at best 8-12 in-conference record. This is all because we have a selfish coach making all the decisions for his own good and not the good of the program, and an athletic director with his hands seemingly tied because he probably feels he can't get rid of a legend.. Meanwhile, I and everyone else here who lives in this town will keep paying money and make the long walks up to the Dome on blistering cold weeknights to watch us lose to inferior programs.
I dont have the laugh like here so i will just laugh in a post. how many 5-15 posts were made beginning of this year. they didnt come true

I dont have the laugh like here so i will just laugh in a post. how many 5-15 posts were made beginning of this year. they didnt come true
Find a nuance in my post and seize on it, ok lol. So we're good w 10-10 here and losing 9 in a row to a team that comes into the dome at 4-13 and crushes us. Got it. What next, it's because they were missing Cole Anthony earlier in the season? Enjoy the warm Florida weather. I'll enjoy the cold nights at the Dome watching us lose to everybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom