Stay the course | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stay the course

Was it me or was that a weird press conference? Lots of nods, unanswered questions, weird answers then music talk and that Santana song he plays all the time which I absolutely can't stand and I like Santana. don't know why they even bother with some of this stuff anymore
As I tell my baseball team, enough about your walk up music…hit the damn ball!

He doesn't make it easy that's for sure. All the mistakes, including by him, are not a good sign. Rutgers is a weak team but they exposed our oline. They just don't have thecskill to play at ACC level.
It wasn't just the o line. The offense short of the backs. But more importantly, the punt. You can't punt in that situation. Take the best 50 coaches in football. Whatever level you want. None of those people punt there.

It wasn't just the o line. The offense short of the backs. But more importantly, the punt. You can't punt in that situation. Take the best 50 coaches in football. Whatever level you want. None of those people punt there.
The OL was good.
It wasn’t the issue. The QB had plenty of time and didn’t make the correct decision even if it’s throw it away.

While the only long-term metric fans care about is winning, there are (or ought to be) other important factors in evaluating the success of a head coach's tenure. Among these are running a clean program, graduating players, developing high caliber citizens and simply making us proud of the program.

Of course, winning means different things to different fans. For me, the realistic goal is to be good every year and fairly consistent Top 25 with the occasional Top 10. Coming from the depths of the GRob Era has been a huge challenge, especially during the conference realignment, which bumped us to a higher level of competition and HCDM leaving. Is it any wonder that is taking so long to climb up the ladder?

IMO had Marrone stayed we would have been further along notwithstanding inevitable ups and downs. He would be a God to Orange Fans and would be making great money for a very long time.That said, we have the right guy in Dino Babers.

He is a good CEO who has proven capable of making tough decisions. He has fired important coordinators and assistants, changed offensive and defensive schemes and brought in transfers to add depth and competition. He wants to be here and he will succeed.

For those clamoring for a change, remember that changing head coaches is a dangerous activity - risking going from the frying pan into the fire.

Other than Luke Fickell, who I don't think we ever had a chance to get, we got the best of the bunch. Luke was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, played at OSU. Played a season for the NO Saints. Spent one season as GA at OSU. Two years as DL coach at Akron then 14-years in various coaching positions at OSU. He was not leaving Ohio for Upstate NY.

Back in 2015 our last HC search had the following candidates:

• Babers I think we were locked in on Dino after negotiations with Frost fell apart.
  • Scott Frost OC Oregon. Became UCF HC left to become HC at Nebraska. Rumored to be1st choice but wanted ability to leave if Nebraska called.
  • Chris Ashe, DC Ohio State. Became HC at Maryland and fired for mistreatment of players. IMO this is why FHC SS9left without a job opportunity.
  • Ed Ogeron publicly said he would accept job if offered.
  • Luke Fickell oc at OSU Became HC at Cincinnati. Don't think we ever had a chance to get this Midwestern guy.
  • Philip Montgomery still HC at Tulsa.
  • Mike Sanford oc Notre Dame Became HC Western Kentucky fired then oc at Utah State now OC Minnesota.
  • Jeff Brohm HC Western Kentucky left to become HC at Purdue.
  • Mark Hudspeth HC Louisiana Lafayette then AHC/TE Mississippi State then HC Austin Peay. Forced resignation for undisclosed reason. Now HS coach.
Babers has proven he can win in the ACC. He has given us a10-win season, been ranked and won a good bowl. He also gave us exciting wins over Virginia Tech and Clemson. He has beaten every team in the ACC except Miami.

He can't control injuries, the pandemic or the schedule.

Regardless of the 2021 record, we will continue our parh back to the Top 25.

Stay the course.
Did you write this Dino ?

While the only long-term metric fans care about is winning, there are (or ought to be) other important factors in evaluating the success of a head coach's tenure. Among these are running a clean program, graduating players, developing high caliber citizens and simply making us proud of the program.
“Our players will get plenty of exercise and fresh air.”

He doesn't make it easy that's for sure. All the mistakes, including by him, are not a good sign. Rutgers is a weak team but they exposed our oline. They just don't have the skill to play at ACC level.
Rutgers

Devito is not a good qb. And staking your HC tenure on a player of that caliber, behind an atrocious OL, scheme, and execution, is a sign of gross incompetence. We still recruit at a G-5 level whereas Shady comes back and RU’s recruiting jumps dramatically. The 10-win season looks more and more like a fluke, with no residual benefits. I’m at 95% he goes if he can’t get it done this season. JMHO

Reading this thinking it was written today was mind boggling. Then I realized it was written a week ago lol

The OL was good.
It wasn’t the issue. The QB had plenty of time and didn’t make the correct decision even if it’s throw it away.
Tommy is not a good QB and never will be, Dino is a bad head coach, he should do what Randy did leave immediately.

1631398800191.gif

There comes a point when a coach loses the fan base and the press but not the players. When he loses the players he is done. Have no idea if that is close to happening or not.
Crusty it saddens me because I know we were two of the earliest hyped on Babers, but giving up on the game with that punt... I'm out on Babers now. We need to move on, ASAP.

Crusty it saddens me because I know we were two of the earliest hyped on Babers, but giving up on the game with that punt... I'm out on Babers now. We need to move on, ASAP.
Very disappointed. Rutgers is a weak team and the defense had them bottled up most of the game. Any decent offense wins this game going away. I don't see who we can beat other than Albany. We could go 0-8 in the ACC. Nobody can survive that.

Ohio lost to FCS Duquesne so that coaching change was a serious negative for them and the win against them is of no value.

I don't think that was all Randy's idea.
Randy tried to save his job for the rest of the season and the AD was like yeah you gotta go now.

What happened to OITNF? Devito spent half the game staring blankly at the sideline. I liked what Dino was building the first three years. Seems like O has sharply regressed.

D was great today though.

Very odd game. Remember kids - we should have been up 10 nothing at halftime.

I’m sticking with Dino - for now.

Very disappointed with Devito.

are we talking metrics like putting your school on probation twice. having wins stripped and players jump ship like rats from a sinking vessel. those kind of metrics ?

are we talking metrics like putting your school on probation twice. having wins stripped and players jump ship like rats from a sinking vessel. those kind of metrics ?
you aren't really taking a shot at Jb after what we watched today, are you?

What happened to OITNF? Devito spent half the game staring blankly at the sideline. I liked what Dino was building the first three years. Seems like O has sharply regressed.

D was great today though.

Very odd game. Remember kids - we should have been up 10 nothing at halftime.

I’m sticking with Dino - for now.

Very disappointed with Devito.
Dino needs to have his team better prepared to play a game.

I don't know what to say after this game. I have very mixed feelings overall. I've just been through the hardest six months of my life and had a superb day hanging out with 100+ people that have significant meaning to me. The game was tough to watch and I'm very disappointed we couldn't beat a bad Rutgers team. However, the net result of my day was very positive. I went to a game at the new dome and was thrilled to be there with those that have helped me to survive the year. That's not a minor point.

The outcome of the game was less important to me than being there in the moment. I'll leave it to the wiser souls on this board to determine what's the next appropriate step in SU's progression as an athletic program, but ask you not to underestimate the importance of the first real day back at the dome and how important that is to this community. I don't want to give up on the program as the community is larger than individual games, but it was a tough day for a team that was so close to a good win. Best wishes to all of you and thank you bigtime for the day. I treasure these days. Don't take them for granted.

Dino hasn't stayed the course. He replaced his OC and DC. He lost is STC, which was the only good unit on the team every year.

It seems like he found a good one at DC. But he made a mistake at OC. IMO for Dino to survive he needs to make a change at QB the rest of this season, win 4+ games, and then in the offseason scrap this O system. It doesn't work here. We need a 2013 like O system, with a running QB. We can't get the passing QBs nor WRs needed to do otherwise. Yes, that is boring but I rather go to Bowls every year.

Dino hasn't stayed the course. He replaced his OC and DC. He lost is STC, which was the only good unit on the team every year.

It seems like he found a good one at DC. But he made a mistake at OC. IMO for Dino to survive he needs to make a change at QB the rest of this season, win 4+ games, and then in the offseason scrap this O system. It doesn't work here. We need a 2013 like O system, with a running QB. We can't get the passing QBs nor WRs needed to do otherwise. Yes, that is boring but I rather go to Bowls every year.
Nope. No 4+. Especially after a loss like this where he punted away any chance of winning and gave up on the game.

It's 6 wins and a bowl appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom