Stay Tuned: MSG being Discussed! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stay Tuned: MSG being Discussed!

Help me out here. If there are a lot of northern transplants in the South(and there definitely are), why would we want to travel back to MSG for games that we could see, for example, in Charlotte?

I've been doing it annually for years now. I hear you, all I can say is that it's the Garden and it's NYC! And, imo, you just can't beat that atmosphere. I've been to a couple of ACC tourneys here at TWC Arena in Charlotte, and, although I've witnessed some decent games, the scene/atmosphere doesn't compare. Of course, again, that's just my $.02. :)

Charlotte is a transplant town, but the town is probably 40% Tar Heel fans, 15%Gamecock fans, 10%Clemson Tiger fans, 10% Wolfpack fans, 25% all other teams, and its an ACC town for sure. I would love the ACC Tournament at TWC arena as its small, but would be packed each year. TWC only seats 15-16k, but I think it would be filled up a lot more regularally than the large mausoleum during the early rounds unless UNC is playing. Charlotte would fillup more even if UNC wasn't playing.

Yeah, no doubt heavy UNC tilt here. There appears to be a ton of USC fans here...they do have great fans. A lot of VPI fans here too, unfortunately. There's probably not a team/school I despise more than VT, although they're right up there with "Our Lady."

MSG has an opt-clause when certain attendance numbers aren't met, and trust me Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Villanova are all small Catholic schools who won't be able to fillup MSG consistently. UConn, Syracuse had the biggest fanbases, and recently Louisville filled up MSG. If the ACC will commit to MSG a consistent or semi-consistent basis MSG will go with ACC over the Big East. Only Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and maybe Creighton have decent fanbases that will travel. Providence, Seton Hall, Butler, DePaul, Xavier aren't big and St. John's has lost a lot of city support which has gone towards Syracuse and UConn the Johnnies only draw well now when UConn, Syracuse, and Duke come to MSG.

On the issue of MSG opting out of its NBE contract, its hard to imagine that GT travels in any significant numbers .. when they can't even fill the Verizon (and are giving tickets away to the homeless to keep out SU fans). I would imagine they have some NYC-based fans (in the financial markets), but not huge numbers...

Nova would bring some fans from Philly, and Marquette's fans are loyal .. although the distance has to be a factor.

All in all, including the remaining schools you mentioned, I don't see the NBE having any chance of achieving the numbers that SU, Pitt or Louise-ville would bring to MSG playing a high-profile team from the south.

Everyone wants to play in NYC and MSG.
Bright lights, big city, biggest stage, maybe alumni base...etc., etc.
If that's "exposure", fine.
It's what I mean by "prestige."

But is that really going to boost Duke's basketball program?
If they didn't play in MSG... don't think there would be any material difference in it's stature or recruitment.

Duke plays a home and home vs. St. Johns every year for the same reason we want to play in NYC, Philly and DC every year.

On the issue of MSG opting out of its NBE contract, its hard to imagine that GT travels in any significant numbers .. when they can't even fill the Verizon (and are giving tickets away to the homeless to keep out SU fans). I would imagine they have some NYC-based fans (in the financial markets), but not huge numbers...

Nova would bring some fans from Philly, and Marquette's fans are loyal .. although the distance has to be a factor.

All in all, including the remaining schools you mentioned, I don't see the NBE having any chance of achieving the numbers that SU, Pitt or Louise-ville would bring to MSG playing a high-profile team from the south.
Georgetown doesn't have a large fanbase see 10.5k out of 20k at the Verizon Center, but they are big enough name in NYC to attract casual fans. I don't see any other BE team doing that and that is what I meant. I don't think the Big East will keep MSG just because of sessions like Providence vs. Xavier, Georgetown vs. DePaul., and Villanova-Butler, Seton Hall-Creighton where the arena will be lucky to have 12k in there.

I am feeling a little differently than most people on this board. I've been to only two BETs, the last two, and it was definitely an awesome experience (especially this year). BUT - it was hideously expensive, and exhausting. (Granted, I am older, and am more easily exhausted.) I understand the appeal of driving up to a stadium, getting out, and going to see a ball game! And it not costing $500 a pop. It's not a bad drive to NC from here, and there are a lot of flights. Hotels are plentiful and CHEAP. The weather would be good. Spring would not be in full swing, but it probably wouldn't be snowing like it was in NYC.

I dunno, guys, I see the appeal of Greensboro.

However, I think it is inevitable that the tourney will swing between MSG and NC, possibly landing permanently in the Garden. And whether or not the ACC tournament is in Greensboro or NYC, people will still be bringing their media devices into work, watching games, playing hookey! When I was working in a child mental health center in Burlington from 1979-82, our director brought his television in and we all watched whenever we could. It was great! Dean Smith was God. This transition will be hard for our North Carolina brethren. So far, most of my friends are still fighting it. However, I am getting excited!
Certainly MSG will be more expensive than Greensboro but don't go by this year's BET. Ticket prices this year were off the charts (easily twice the norm) compared to most prior years because everyone knew it was the last real BET and people who never attended or hadn't been in a while wanted to get to the last one. The fairest solution would be to alternate Greensboro with MSG but MSG will likely never go for that. They will want some type of commitment. The ACC will garner much more national media exposure playing it in MSG. The ACCT is more of a regional event and I'm sure gets big coverage inside NC and VA but not that much elsewhere. There is no doubt that the BET got far more national attention and buzz the last 10 years and that's a function of its location where the NYC media builds up the story lines to larger than life.

Certainly MSG will be more expensive than Greensboro but don't go by this year's BET. Ticket prices this year were off the charts (easily twice the norm) compared to most prior years because everyone knew it was the last real BET and people who never attended or hadn't been in a while wanted to get to the last one. The fairest solution would be to alternate Greensboro with MSG but MSG will likely never go for that. They will want some type of commitment. The ACC will garner much more national media exposure playing it in MSG. The ACCT is more of a regional event and I'm sure gets big coverage inside NC and VA but not that much elsewhere. There is no doubt that the BET got far more national attention and buzz the last 10 years and that's a function of its location where the NYC media builds up the story lines to larger than life.
It was a function of the media and the teams involved. No other tournament will equal it except for the ACC. The ACC is now the big deal and while the NYC media would help, it will be a big tournament story regardless of where it's played.
How much of the BE tournament atmosphere was created because of it being in MSG and how much because of SU fans taking over the place?

Did the teams in the A-10 get better organically? Without playing n a premier league, the Catholic 7 will soon be drawing 2nd tier recruits.
This is an apples and oranges comparison! The catholic 7 will still have 2 or 3 top 20 teams next year, and a 2 or 3 that are in 25-50 range. The Big East will always be a better conference over the the A10.

This is an apples and oranges comparison! The catholic 7 will still have 2 or 3 top 20 teams next year, and a 2 or 3 that are in 25-50 range. The Big East will always be a better conference over the the A10.

My point is, this is set up as the Georgetown league. The other teams are solid programs, but not brands that are going to continue to bring elite recruits all by themselves. The 5 star kids are not going to want to play in that league, and eventually that will become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

if msg wants an every year commitment why not have some acc teams play some pre-conference games at the garden in every other year. or just agree to play 3 straight at msg starting in 2016 then go to charlotte or Greensboro for 3 straight years then make a decision 1 way or another

We were poached to help deliver NYC. Was the first domino, next, the Big East predictably fragmented opening up MSG. I'm sure the ACC saw this coming and wanted it. Why in the hell would they play anywhere else? They dont even have a traditional site which is mistake. I have no idea where any other conference plays their tourny year in year out. Everybody knows the BE was in the Garden. NYC becomes part of the show. Where do you think BC, Pitt and Louisville want to play? Notre Dame? Those jackasses are all over the city.

It's not a southern conference anymore. And as someone said, they can play the ACC football championship down there every year, no questions asked.

Please don't screw this up ACC.

The Big East (C7) will be good out of the gate, probably among the Top 5 leagues every year in basketball. But they will only be great (Top 2) maybe once over the next decade.

Overtime though, that likely will erode, where good will eventually be down to Top 7 and great for them will be Top 4. It's the nature of the beast.

Cheers,
Neil

The ACC needs to realize they are not a North Carolina conference anymore, their survival as a conference came from adding Florida St, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville. This is an entirely different conference then before, and if it truly is going to be big-time, it needs to be playing at the best arena in the world in prime time. You think ESPN'S promotion of the Big East was something, You could have quarterfinals NC St-North Carolina, Wake Forest-Duke, Pittsburgh-Syracuse, Notre Dame-Louisville. By the way Georgia Tech has been good at times, Florida St, Miami are getting better, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Clemson occasionally win 20.
Seems like it operates with the RTP schools are the Corporate HQ and all the other schools are satellite facilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom