Steph Curry killed our zone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Steph Curry killed our zone

“We recruit good players” was the quote.

What you are doing is attempting to reverse-engineer the criteria by looking at the results. It’s a wild-assed guess on your part.

Appears to me, that “good” players might excel in any or all of the categories you listed and many more.

Do you have any evidence that SU uses a set of ranked, weighted criteria in assessing players.

Or is that just your idea or the way you would do things in the unlikely event that you were a college coach?

Yeah, so you didn't directly answer any of the questions. Figured as much.

teams shooting well beat what ever D you use.. lots of man teams got killed this week by teams making a ton of 3s. you can only control the quality of the shots

So the old Joe Paterno defense.

Our HC next year will be the oldest man to ever coach in the D-1 basketball history. That isn’t a nothing burger. I and many fans will be interested in seeing if any changes happen within program.

JB is a legend and done a lot of good but he also been at the helm of two instances we have been penalized by the NCAA. The school has stuck by him both times. He has used political capital the ledger isn’t one sided. The severity of penalties being unjust isn’t an excuse for the fact we have been penalized two times and the school has stuck by him.

I can’t see the parallel between JBs coaching strategy and anything related to Joe Paterno.

I think “JB can’t be an effective coach anymore because of his age” isn’t the most intelligent opinion I have read on here.

Yeah, so you didn't directly answer any of the questions. Figured as much.

That’s because your question is terribly flawed. It’s underlying premise is wrong.

That you would insist someone play along with your faulty logic says a lot about you.

I can’t see the parallel between JBs coaching strategy and anything related to Joe Paterno.

I think “JB can’t be an effective coach anymore because of his age” isn’t the most intelligent opinion I have read on here.

It's Strawman Saturday on syracusefan.com

teams shooting well beat what ever D you use.. lots of man teams got killed this week by teams making a ton of 3s. you can only control the quality of the shots

baylor got a ton of open 3s. i remember early in 2nd half we were up 3, there was a timeout and i posted "if we can get a couple stops we can take control right here". coming out of the timeout baylor drills a wide open 3 from the corner like its a layup. dont think we ever had the lead again. its just infuriating getting beat by the same thing. up 3 i dont even enjoy it cuz i know a 3 is coming, just gotta hope they miss.

Part of coaching is recruiting.
Getting on planes, going to AAU events.
In case you haven’t realized our recruiting pool for HS kids has been the I-95 corridor, Canada and one kid from Europe. Transfers aren’t recruited like HS kids.
The age matters as it’s a lot of work. Kissing these kids butt and giving them attention. You can’t rest on laurels we aren’t Duke or Kentucky.

The nobody got rid of Joe Paterno argument because he had more “credibility” was what you would have said to Penn State fans who wanted change.

In case you haven’t realized our recruiting pool for HS kids has been the I-95 corridor, Canada and one kid from Europe. Transfers aren’t recruited like HS kids.
The age matters as it’s a lot of work. Kissing these kids butt and giving them attention. You can’t rest on laurels we aren’t Duke or Kentucky.

The age matters. The nobody got rid of Joe Paterno because he had more “credibility” than fans who wanted change.

Could be why Stewart & Quade Green went to UW with Hopkins instead of coming to SU.

It's Strawman Saturday on syracusefan.com

Alsacs wrote that JB will be the oldest coach in D1 history and that’s not a “nothing burger”

What do you think he was saying or implying?

So you know what “strawman argument” is? (I’m guessing you don’t.)

Could be why Stewart & Quade Green went to UW with Hopkins instead of coming to SU.
Stewart was a Hop guy. I think that is pretty simple.
If Hop was here then it’s safe to assume Stewart comes here.
I don’t think Quade was coming here as a transfer.

As Dasher has said Hop and JB were in Brazil with Team USA and it was a green GMac vs. Calipari/Worldwide Wes who is going to win that recruiting battle?

The problem has been JB hasn’t expanded the recruiting map we are battling from shallower pool of elite players since we stay in one region and Canada.

Alsacs wrote that JB will be the oldest coach in D1 history and that’s not a “nothing burger”

I know that you fashion yourself as being intelligent, but I don't think that you're bright - at all.

I can't speak for Alsacs (but I'm sure that you can, right?), but I don't think that he was saying that JB is incapable of coaching any longer.

The nobody got rid of Joe Paterno argument because he had more “credibility” was what you would have said to Penn State fans who wanted change.

Assistant coaches do the leg work and head coaches close the deal on campus.

Only the bluest of blue chippers get head coaches of JB’s stature to games or to their homes.

I’m not sure you know how recruiting actually works.

It’s not a nothing burger. There has never been a 75 year old D-1 head coach. The head coach doesn’t just coach. They are the face of the program for recruiting, in charge of recruiting and have to spend a lot of time doing work as the face of the program.

Being 75 isn’t the same as 70. You gotta work harder. Plus the status quo has us trending to mediocrity. Let’s see the energy and fire to become a top 25 team after January each year.

We haven’t been ranked during the regular season in January-February since 2014.
The final poll after tournament isn’t included as that is the postseason.

I know that you fashion yourself as being intelligent, but I don't think that you're bright - at all.

I can't speak for Alsacs (but I'm sure that you can, right?), but I don't think that he was saying that JB is incapable of coaching any longer.

Exactly what is the “strawman” you were talking about?

Let’s see how smart you are or are not.

And for the record, I don’t care a flying fig whether you think I am smart or not.

Assistant coaches do the leg work and head coaches close the deal on campus.

Only the bluest of blue chippers get head coaches of JB’s stature to games or to their homes.

I’m not sure you know how recruiting actually works.
Head coaches go to games. They don’t just close. If they want a kid they lead.
We aren’t Duke or Kentucky. Tom Izzo/Bob Huggins/Bill Self take the lead. Just because JB had Hop and that is how he was doing it doesn’t mean he needs to continue that.

It’s not a nothing burger. There has never been a 75 year old D-1 head coach. The head coach doesn’t just coach. They are the face of the program for recruiting, in charge of recruiting and have to spend a lot of time doing work as the face of the program.

Being 75 isn’t the same as 70. You gotta work harder. Plus the status quo has us trending to mediocrity. Let’s see the energy and fire to become a top 25 team after January each year.

We haven’t been ranked during the regular season in January since 2014.
The final poll after tournament isn’t included as that is the postseason.

It’s a lot more competitive world out there than it has been in the past.

And you might be aware we had some program limitations imposed on us.

Hell JB was just at the Joe Girard NY championship game. So that is good but he needs to be on the lead more.
GMac/Autry/Griffin vs. HCs isn’t fair to those guys.

Exactly what is the “strawman” you were talking about?

Let’s see how smart you are or are not.

And for the record, I don’t care a flying fig whether you think I am smart or not.

You're attributing a false position to Alsacs. He never said what you said he did - you injected your own sycophantic bias.

It’s a lot more competitive world out there than it has been in the past.

And you might be aware we had some program limitations imposed on us.
Louisville has limitations put on it and are on probation. Their new coach has come in and has a top 10 recruiting class.

Same for Oregon. They are on probation and had limitations put on it they are recruiting pretty well.

The sanctions hurt but they could be overcome.

Hell JB was just at the Joe Girard NY championship game. So that is good but he needs to be on the lead more.
GMac/Autry/Griffin vs. HCs isn’t fair to those guys.
Please take the age and recruiting conversations to another thread. This thread is meant to discuss how basketball is evolving and how that will impact our program.

Bottom line - the players we’ve had for the last five years are not nearly as good the the five years before that. The zone looked good when we, you know - had good players. Playing M2M doesn’t fix the fact our recruiting is way way way way down.

Get better players. System is almost entirely irrelevant in basketball - the team with the better players will win most of the time.

Taking the mediocre player groups we’ve had for the last five year and having the play M2M solves exactly nothing, except avoiding the inevitable complaining from dumb fans about the zone when we lose 14 games a year. Not that the dummies won’t find something else to complain about...but at least it wouldn’t be about the zone. Maybe that’s an improvement?

The questions about zone is absolutely stupid. The only question that matters is if JB can’t still recruit good enough players to compete at the top of the ACC, and for ‘ships. That is the ONLY WORTHWHILE question.

I’m a cynic; I think if we’re willing and able to pay as much as Duke and Kentucky, we’ll be able to compete with them. Players don’t care about the zone as much as they care about the $$$$ - and our inability to match the offers of “chosen” programs that will never go on probation no matter how badly they abuse the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom