STERN | Syracusefan.com

STERN

I've been right there with him for a long while now. He would agree. We just called it as we saw it... Garbage

I hear ya...too bad Doug threw two horrible int's along with his two fumbles.
he never holds Ryan accountable - that is on Doug

sometimes that kid needs to sit a series and calm down

I hear ya...too bad Doug threw two horrible int's along with his two fumbles.

Just stop. Marrone has had 4 years to find "his" QB and has accomplished nothing in that department. Tired of hearing people deflect blame from Marrone.

Its not shooting yourself in the foot when you do it week after week after week. This team is completely undisciplined and still hasnt solved the turnover and special teams issues in year 4. At what point do you start to hold the coach accountable, year 12??

We know because I see him in the shotgun every offensive series regardless of what he does wrong. That leads me to believe that Doug does not hold Nassib very accountable at all.

How do we know whether or not he holds Ryan accountable? Do you sit in film with them? Do you really want him to send in someone who's never played down 8 points with 3 minutes left?

come at me bro

Doug believes in what he is doing. If these players would start caring more about the football, we would cut down on alot of these wasted drives. Yes, everyone can say that it comes down to coaching, but players are the ones who fumble and every football player knows you have to care about the rock.

There are other things that could be said, but do not say that DM isn't believing in himself.

Doug believes in what he is doing. If these players would start caring more about the football, we would cut down on alot of these wasted drives. Yes, everyone can say that it comes down to coaching, but players are the ones who fumble and every football player knows you have to care about the rock.

There are other things that could be said, but do not say that DM isn't believing in himself.

Who's to say with certainty though? Doug did not appear too confident in his presser after the game, especially when making his comments about this (repeated self-inflicted errors, etc.) being the same issue for four years now. I'd suspect deep down his confidence has been rattled some, minimally...losing takes its toll on everyone. Moreover, it's not like he has a tract record of success at the head coaching level to reassure himself that he can indeed get this done...he doesn't have that history to pull from for self-assurance/reinforcement.

Watch Doug's presser from last night. http://videos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2012/10/doug_marrone_post_game_rutgers.html

At the end when he is asked about the mistakes, he said he is surprised every time we make one. Well, when you make no adjustments for those mistakes (i.e. sitting your turnover machine QB) how can you be surprised when they keep occurring?

Coach wonders how special teams is making mistakes? Maybe it's cause he has his freshman and backups going against Rutgers veteran play makers? It's a fundamental philosophy weakness. College is not the pros.

Who's to say with certainty though? Doug did not appear too confident in his presser after the game, especially when making his comments about this (repeated self-inflicted errors, etc.) being the same issue for four years now. I'd suspect deep down his confidence has been rattled some, minimally...losing takes its toll on everyone. Moreover, it's not like he has a tract record of success at the head coaching level to reassure himself that he can indeed get this done...he doesn't have that history to pull from for self-assurance/reinforcement.

Judging his confidence immediately after the game is difficult. No one is going to be very confident after losing such a sloppy game. He has confidence in what he is doing. It is a matter of putting together a game that eliminates mistakes, turnovers and poor execution.

I am on your bandwagon
Sadly this is one time where I wish I had been wrong, but unfortunately I am not. Doug just isn't getting the job done and isn't any good. This isn't surprising to me as I have been saying it for almost a year now, but I wish I had been wrong.

The handwriting has been on the wall for 2 years now, Doug is just in way over his head as a head coach. Basic football decisions and gameday coaching moves he just gets an "F" grade on week after week. We have 3 timeouts before the half, Rutgers is deep in their own territory, how he doesn't use 1 timeout is beyond me. Don't let them just kill the clock. It's a low risk, all reward situation for ya! Doug does NOTHING! This is Basic Football 101 stuff here people, not that difficult. We have a 1st and goal at the 2 yard line and don't get 1 yard let alone points. You can blame Hackett till the cows come home, but Marrone has VETO power as he is the "Head Coach!" He can turn to him and say hey, run this! He is the head coach he is allowed to do that once in a while in a big spot!

The special teams get worse each week. That's on Doug since he's the Special Teams coach. The poor coaching decisions, that's on Doug. I read one post from someone saying that SU doesn't have the players to compete with Rutgers. First off that is 100% incorrect. Second, if we do play along and agree with that statement, well that's on Doug too! Part of being a college head coach is recruiting players. So either way, Doug Fails! It's Year 4 and there is nobody else to blame or point the finger at.

Some people just aren't head coaches. Doug isn't a head coach. This is gonna be a 3 win year probably, maybe 4. And that is failing. And coming off last season to me, Doug Must Go! Doug is just in way over his head with his job. He isn't a college football head coach on this level.

Sadly this is one time where I wish I had been wrong, but unfortunately I am not. Doug just isn't getting the job done and isn't any good. This isn't surprising to me as I have been saying it for almost a year now, but I wish I had been wrong.

The handwriting has been on the wall for 2 years now, Doug is just in way over his head as a head coach. Basic football decisions and gameday coaching moves he just gets an "F" grade on week after week. We have 3 timeouts before the half, Rutgers is deep in their own territory, how he doesn't use 1 timeout is beyond me. Don't let them just kill the clock. It's a low risk, all reward situation for ya! Doug does NOTHING! This is Basic Football 101 stuff here people, not that difficult. We have a 1st and goal at the 2 yard line and don't get 1 yard let alone points. You can blame Hackett till the cows come home, but Marrone has VETO power as he is the "Head Coach!" He can turn to him and say hey, run this! He is the head coach he is allowed to do that once in a while in a big spot!

The special teams get worse each week. That's on Doug since he's the Special Teams coach. The poor coaching decisions, that's on Doug. I read one post from someone saying that SU doesn't have the players to compete with Rutgers. First off that is 100% incorrect. Second, if we do play along and agree with that statement, well that's on Doug too! Part of being a college head coach is recruiting players. So either way, Doug Fails! It's Year 4 and there is nobody else to blame or point the finger at.

Some people just aren't head coaches. Doug isn't a head coach. This is gonna be a 3 win year probably, maybe 4. And that is failing. And coming off last season to me, Doug Must Go! Doug is just in way over his head with his job. He isn't a college football head coach on this level.

Again with the "this is probably a 3 or 4 win season" crap. We're 1-1 in the Big East. Have been in every game in the 4th quarter. If Ryan throws 1 less pick or the special teams block one guy - our season looks much different.

It's easy to be pessimistic - Believing in your team is the hard gritty work of being a true fan. Talk about past mistakes - but don't look into you crystal ball and decide our record based on how you feel after a loss.

Again with the "this is probably a 3 or 4 win season" crap. We're 1-1 in the Big East. Have been in every game in the 4th quarter. If Ryan throws 1 less pick or the special teams block one guy - our season looks much different.

It's easy to be pessimistic - Believing in your team is the hard gritty work of being a true fan. Talk about past mistakes - but don't look into you crystal ball and decide our record based on how you feel after a loss.
I predicted this record NOT after this last loss. I did it prior to the first game of the year. And got a lot of heat for it.

I looked at our poor coaching and poor QB play with a tough enough schedule and saw this coming a mile away. Lots of "IF's" in your last message. 85% of the schools in the country can say "IF that didn't happen" and "IF this didn't happen" we would have more wins. Woulda, coulda, shoulda! SU is 2-4 and on its way to a 3 or 4 win season. SU has equal talent to these teams but loses out every week in the coaching department. SU gets out-coached every week.

I don't know what actually defines the hard gritty of being a true fan. One thing I do believe though...none of us would be or lurk here if we weren't.

I don't know what actually defines the hard gritty of being a true fan. One thing I do believe though...none of us would be or lurk here if we weren't.

I get that. I was probably laying it on a little thick there with the true fan thing. My point was I just get sick of all of the "we'll only win one more game" stuff. Believing your team can win despite mounting odds is harder work than writing them off and calling for the coaches head. But the thing that takes the cake is when someone writes off the coach based on what they think will be future losses. Wait until they play the games - then make a judgement.

I get that. I was probably laying it on a little thick there with the true fan thing. My point was I just get sick of all of the "we'll only win one more game" stuff. Believing your team can win despite mounting odds is harder work than writing them off and calling for the coaches head. But the thing that takes the cake is when someone writes off the coach based on what they think will be future losses. Wait until they play the games - then make a judgement.

Here's the reality though. Some may say "we'll only win one more game," etc., blah, blah, blah. But you have to take it with a grain of salt. Some of it is just venting, being sensational, etc...don't lose sight that it's a internet message board. The likely fact is, the same people who are saying we will only win one more game or things of this nature, likely, deep down, don't fully believe it themselves. Otherwise, they wouldn't be tuning in week to week to actually observe the given foreseen result if it was so obviously inevitable.

Here's the reality though. Some may say "we'll only win one more game," etc., blah, blah, blah. But you have to take it with a grain of salt. Some of it is just venting, being sensational, etc...don't lose sight that it's a internet message board. The likely fact is, the same people who are saying we will only win one more game or things of this nature, likely, deep down, don't fully believe it themselves. Otherwise, they wouldn't be tuning in week to week to actually observe the given foreseen result if it was so obviously inevitable.

I agree to a point. Venting is good. I just think for some, it's like a sport unto itself. And it adds to the perception that we're down and not relevant. This stuff seeps into ticket sales, radio talk shows, recruiting - and sometimes maybe even the locker room or coaches office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom