Steve Donahue out at BC... | Syracusefan.com

Steve Donahue out at BC...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m
Boston College has fired Steve Donahue, sources told ESPN. Story coming.

Figured this would happen. Donahue may have moved up a year or two too early for his own good. Should have waited for a different job.

This is not shocking. What direction will they go? More importantly what are their expectations? Shouldn't have canned Skinner.

So much for your big upset of Syracuse, coach. ;)

Sucks for him. Good coach, bad timing. Agree with previous poster. He should have stayed at Cornell or gone someplace other than a pro sports town.

BC will rue the day they got rid of Al Skinner. They haven't snagged any recruits worth noting since he was sent packing.

Cornell probably will/ would take him back in a heartbeat. He benefitted from some pretty good IVY league talent while at Cornell, had the transfer from USC as well.

Figured this would happen. Donahue may have moved up a year or two too early for his own good. Should have waited for a different job.

He was losing the top three players from that very solid Cornell team--players who were superior talents [Wittman, 7-footer Foote, and Dale] for the Ivy League in general, but the Big Red in particular. Staying would have only damaged his reputation. You can certainly argue that selecting BC was a poor decision [I don't specifically remember what other jobs were available at that time a few years ago], but I don't think that staying at Cornell would have done anything but cool off his stock.

Last edited:
He was losing the top three players from that very solid Cornell team. Staying would have only damaged his reputation. You can certainly argue that selecting BC was a poor decision [I don't specifically remember what other jobs were available at that time a few years ago], but I don't think that staying at Cornell would have done anything but cool off his stock.
Yeah that team was the perfect storm for him. I'm sure he was well aware that Tommy Amaker was on the rise and another title at Cornell wasn't likely anytime soon.

Donahue was very smart to jump when he did. He's a good coach (not sold on him as a recruiter), and someone will scoop him up.

I'd be shocked if Hop took another job in the ACC.

Only two days ago the AD said he would return. I heard some of his players (un-named) were unhappy with him and were going to transfer. Today he is out. Something must have gone on there.

Speaking of Tommy Amaker ...will he get the call to move across town?

Only two days ago the AD said he would return. I heard some of his players (un-named) were unhappy with him and were going to transfer. Today he is out. Something must have gone on there.

Hanlan was reported to be entering the Draft and no one I know with BC ties was pleased with the direction of the program. They were supposed to be a NCAA bubble team this year and didn't win 10 games, and if you look around the tournament teams you will find a ton of Mass kids. BC should have hired Papile when they wrongly fired Skinner. I am sure some boosters got to the AD Bates and got him to change his mind.

If i was BC, I'd go after Orlando Antigua. He is a good recruiter even without Cal's $.

ACC vs A10. Kellogg would be dumb if he didn't at least listen. I could see Amaker try to leverage BC to get more $ from Harvard as he's got a very good thing going there and he could dominate the Ivy for a long, long time.

Speaking of Tommy Amaker ...will he get the call to move across town?
Donahue's big problem was that Amaker was outshining him across town.
That and losing so much.

The question is...does BC want to spend and try to be a player in college basketball?
After all, they are in the ACC.

If so...smart thing is to wait until after the tournament and pursue Gregg Marshall or Larry Brown.
Either guy would turn them into winners.
Both with great stories: Marshall off an undefeated regular season...Larry Brown would make his return to civilization after coaching exile turning SMU around.

Georges Niang, Nerlens Noel, Wayne Selden, Michael Carter-Williams, Shabazz Napier, Noah Vonleh, Carson Desrosiers, Goodluck Okobonoh...just some of the players from Mass/NE that Donahue failed to get at BC. I'm sure there were plenty of others prepping in NE, but this is just an example of why he's no longer at BC.

Just saw a blurb from Goodman that reminded me - Ben Howland is a name to keep in mind with these jobs coming open