Steve Gregory hired by Lions as coach | Syracusefan.com

Steve Gregory hired by Lions as coach

How many guys with cuse connections on that staff are we up to now?

How many guys with cuse connections on that staff are we up to now?

EDIT: Eight by my count unless I missed one or two.
SECOND EDIT: Nine
THIRD EDIT: Ten, if you include video director Erik Kunttu
Offensive Coaches

Defensive Coaches
Special Teams Coaches
Strength and Conditioning
Coaching Administration

Last edited:
The ESPN beat writer who's assigned to the Lions is a Syracuse alum, too.

EDIT: Eight by my count unless I missed one or two.
SECOND EDIT: Nine
THIRD EDIT: Ten, if you include video director Erik Kunttu
Offensive Coaches

Defensive Coaches
Special Teams Coaches
Strength and Conditioning
Coaching Administration

Who would have thought Al Golden's career would lead to working as a position coach for P?

Who would have thought Al Golden's career would lead to working as a position coach for P?

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't been back in the college game. Wasn't he thought of as an above average northeast recruiter and pretty good coach before the Miami flame out?

One weekend morning, Orangeyes and I found our way to Stella's Diner. I think we played a quick round of golf at the crack of dawn, Dan was hungry and couldn't stop talking about breakfast and kept raving about how good Stella's was.

I had never been there. One thing led to another and shortly afterwards, we were sitting at a table across from The Steam Engine, ordering breakfast.

As we waited for our food, a big group of athletic looking young men strode into the diner. I believe they were all wearing tuxedos. My memory is that a limo took them there and remained in the parking lot, waiting for them. Our interest piqued, we looked to see if we could recognize who they were.

Dan drew a blank but I thought the groom was Steve. If I were by myself, that would have ended things. I would gotten my food, ate it and left. But I was with Dan. So that wasn't going to happen. Dan would never let that happen.

Dan jumps up. "C'mon!". I hesitate. "C'mon! I have to prove you wrong!" He sets a beeline directly for to the groom. I silently curse myself for telling Dan what I told him and reluctantly start walking behind him, hoping no one is watching.

"Hey you! Hey! My friend here (he points back at me, completely throwing me under the bus) says you are Steve Gregory and that you are going married today (I speculated that he might be getting married). Is this true?"

He said this in a loud voice, not only not worried about others hearing him, but wanting EVERYONE to hear him.

The groom pauses. He looks around for a second. Everyone in hearing range is looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to answer. I think, even if he is Steve Gregory, he is going to deny it. I hope he does because I know what will follow.

Gregory admits he is in fact Steve Gregory. Dan follows up with a another loud question. "Are you getting married today"? Steve quietly says that yes, he is.

Dan says "I KNEW IT!". Gives him a big hand shake, which becomes a bear hug. "Congrats buddy! Don't worry, it is going to be great. This is the best move you will ever make!"

Steve disengages himself from Dan. Quietly thanks him. His crew meanwhile gives Dan enthusiastic high fives and whoop it up. Some of the people in the diner within earshot, along with a couple of waitresses applaud.

The Gregory party is thankfully seated on the other side of the diner. We get our food and eat it. Steve gets married and I get a new go to spot for a tasty breakfast.

Anyway, Steve is a good guy. He is from NYC, played WR, DB and returned kicks in college and played for a while at DB in the NFL too. He would be well positioned to help the SU program at a number of positions. Hope he ends up here someday. But I am glad he has a good job with the Lions for now.

Last edited:
As a Lions fan, I can't same that I'm particularly excited about Patricia's staff. I'd possibly be excited if it was a college staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom