Steve Stanard new linebackers coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Steve Stanard new linebackers coach

The bottom line is that the defense we run compliments the Offense we run. It is a bend but don't break defense that can adapt and run lots of looks in the base defense. This prevents big plays and allows the offense to rest. It is also supposed to force the offense to not make mistakes. A blitz heavy scheme allows for bigger plays and forces the offense to be on the field more. They would rather rotate on defense than offense. The fresher the offense is the faster it is.
i never got the bend don't break concept. legit question do most successful teams have a strong defense? i don't know enough about football to comment. what i do know is our defense was poor last year.

i never got the bend don't break concept. legit question do most successful teams have a strong defense? i don't know enough about football to comment. what i do know is our defense was poor last year.
Statistically our defense will always be bad under Dino. One thing to keep in mind is for this style of Defense to be successful you really need your defensive line to create pressure. Obviously that was our weakest group last season. The idea is yardage doesn't matter. Force the offense to sustain long drives. Leaving more opportunity for turnovers. The end goal is to limit scores or hold to field goals. With Babers offense we don't need our defense to be great. We need them to hold the other team to less points than we score which is alot.

Interesting comments from the article;

"In our opinion, philosophically, those two things go hand-in-hand," Stanard said. "If you have a physical offense that's going to stay on the field, it allows you defensively to have time to make adjustments on the sideline.

"If it's a matter of only a couple minutes before you're right back out there as a defense, that becomes a challenge to adjust and to play, in my opinion, solid defense. Bottom line, we can run extremely hard to the football because our guys aren't pacing themselves for a no-huddle offense."

Looks like Stanard brings a completely different football philosophy than his new boss. I hope HCDB was a "selector" during the hiring process and not forced to settle for leftovers.
His philosophy doesn't matter. He is now a worker bee.
Just tell me what to do boss, and I will do it.

The big question is will the kids, regardless of the scheme, stopping making mistakes.. not every play is the fault of the scheme. 2 years ago we gave up play after play because of mistakes.. last year was much of the same. but some where just guys not making plays when they were in the correct position. year 2 for most guys should cut down on mistakes, lets hope that the strength program continues to blossom like it seems to be, and we start making teams actually drive the field.

figure out 3rd and long and it will go a long ways towards a better d and thats the thing this D should be good at..

i think it would help if we werent down 6-7 guys on the backend next year too. keeping our top 5-6 on the field covering WRs is probably better than going down to your 5-6th safety in a new scheme.

Always good when you can bring in a positional coach who coordinated for 20 years. Played the position himself at Nebraska. He brings lots of experience. Exactly what we needed on this side of the ball.
No. We need a guy who has coached for a P5-level program at least one day in his life.

MAC/FCS-level coaches didn't cut it last time, and they probably won't cut it this time.

No. We need a guy who has coached for a P5-level program at least one day in his life.

MAC/FCS-level coaches didn't cut it last time, and they probably won't cut it this time.
Because he's never coached at a P5 before but has a ton of teaching experience, he's somehow less qualified? I don't get your logic.

Being a P5 coach doesn't guarantee anything. I like the fact that he has a lot of experience. Can't beat having a coach with coordinator experience as a position coach. I assure you that most coaches would love having that. P5 coaches don't have any secret techniques or schemes that no one else has.

Statistically our defense will always be bad under Dino. One thing to keep in mind is for this style of Defense to be successful you really need your defensive line to create pressure. Obviously that was our weakest group last season. The idea is yardage doesn't matter. Force the offense to sustain long drives. Leaving more opportunity for turnovers. The end goal is to limit scores or hold to field goals. With Babers offense we don't need our defense to be great. We need them to hold the other team to less points than we score which is alot.

All good points. I have been skeptical of the T2 concept at the college level. Thing is, shafers defenses never got nearly lit up as bad with the same personel. I realize there will be more possessions to defend with dinos offense, but 76 was alarming. Defenses need to blitz in college, they really do, whether its outta a 4-3 or 3-4, you need to bring pressure. Alot of pressure on backers to cover . Hope i am proven wrong. Love the young talent we are bringing in. Go Cuse.

Yes. GT immediately comes to mind and I think there were 2 or 3 others that same year.

Very good point. Shaf admitted after that game that they went from a 4-3, to a 3-4 to try and trick them up. Poor attempt at strategy. One of Shafs worst! Buy remember, there was a point were our O was money during the nassib and dougie years where we had a top 25 D. Great backers and defensive players that were responding after every offensive score. And yes, we were scoring pretty quickly;)

Because he's never coached at a P5 before but has a ton of teaching experience, he's somehow less qualified? I don't get your logic.
Yup. He has a ton of coaching experience, but he's never had a P5 job. That means either he really, really liked his prior jobs (possibly), or (more likely) he had a ton of opportunities to stand out and he was repeatedly passed over by the programs w/ the motivation and resources to invest in good coaches.

I'd happily pass and pull the trigger on a coach w/ more high profile success. Yes, a bigger name would be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Being a P5 coach doesn't guarantee anything. I like the fact that he has a lot of experience. Can't beat having a coach with coordinator experience as a position coach. I assure you that most coaches would love having that. P5 coaches don't have any secret techniques or schemes that no one else has.
There are no guarantees. But the guy w/ prior experience at the same job on the same level is more likely to pan out than the guy who has never worked on that level before.

I assure you that most coaches would love hiring a guy who has demonstrated that he can perform at a high level on a high level.

And let's be honest most guys at P5 are job hoppers and retreads
Job hoppers aren't bad. If an assistant coach is hopping, there's a good chance that he is taking a better offer. If he's taking a better offer, there's a good chance that he did a good job at bringing us to a better place than we were when we hired him.

That sounds pretty good to me.

There are no guarantees. But the guy w/ prior experience at the same job on the same level is more likely to pan out than the guy who has never worked on that level before.

I assure you that most coaches would love hiring a guy who has demonstrated that he can perform at a high level on a high level.
Im saying I will take a position coach with 20 years of coordinator, LB and DL coaching experience over a guy who coach the LB's at Minnesota for a couple years. So your saying you will automatically assume the LB coach at a P5 is better than a coach who coordinated and coach the position longer? The p5 guy is better because the other guy coordinated in the mountain west conference? If Stanard only had experience as a positional coach I would agree with you but that's not the case here. I been around Tim Daoust plenty of times. I was impressed with him. The guy can flat out coach the D line. He had no P5 experience prior to SU. I bet you he's better than some NFL guys. He's now a coordinator.

All good points. I have been skeptical of the T2 concept at the college level. Thing is, shafers defenses never got nearly lit up as bad with the same personel. I realize there will be more possessions to defend with dinos offense, but 76 was alarming. Defenses need to blitz in college, they really do, whether its outta a 4-3 or 3-4, you need to bring pressure. Alot of pressure on backers to cover . Hope i am proven wrong. Love the young talent we are bringing in. Go Cuse.

GTech and FSU's game of hang man say "hey"

Shafer had bad games on D and it seems less horrific due to fewer possessions.

Very good point. Shaf admitted after that game that they went from a 4-3, to a 3-4 to try and trick them up. Poor attempt at strategy. One of Shafs worst! Buy remember, there was a point were our O was money during the nassib and dougie years where we had a top 25 D. Great backers and defensive players that were responding after every offensive score. And yes, we were scoring pretty quickly;)

The one year we were any good on O with Doug/Nassib, was the year the D wasn't as highly ranked.

I also think a MAJOR key to our defense is building quality depth. That isn't done in 1 or 2 years. When the offense is successful, there is no rest for the defense. When the offense struggles, there is still no rest for the defense. Rotating capable bodies in and out of our defense is sooo important with the style of offense we run.

Im saying I will take a position coach with 20 years of coordinator, LB and DL coaching experience over a guy who coach the LB's at Minnesota for a couple years. So your saying you will automatically assume the LB coach at a P5 is better than a coach who coordinated and coach the position longer? The p5 guy is better because the other guy coordinated in the mountain west conference? If Stanard only had experience as a positional coach I would agree with you but that's not the case here. I been around Tim Daoust plenty of times. I was impressed with him. The guy can flat out coach the D line. He had no P5 experience prior to SU. I bet you he's better than some NFL guys. He's now a coordinator.
Money, thank you for your posts on this forum. Always insightful and well thought out. Your contributions are appreciated

I like the system expertise this guy seems to bring to the table, to a unit that is without question the most important to have solid coaching. I haven't heard anything about what kind of recruiter he is and it doesn't seem to be a highlight of his record. I think that's a gamble, and whether good or bad it's an interesting one. I would have liked to see a big time lights out recruiter at both of the open coaching spots. But I think given a choice between the two you take a solid teaching coach at LB. I definitely want to see a strong recruiter brought in at the RB coach spot. Also interesting to me is the signal this potentially sends on Ward's assessment of the T2 scheme as it's being umplemented here. He's obviously doubling down (as is Babers) with this hire. But what it signals about the defensive staff's mastery of the scheme is unclear (to me at least). I can see part of the logic being to bring this guy in as a chance for the younger staff to learn from a master. Interested to hear other thoughts.

I like the system expertise this guy seems to bring to the table, to a unit that is without question the most important to have solid coaching. I haven't heard anything about what kind of recruiter he is and it doesn't seem to be a highlight of his record. I think that's a gamble, and whether good or bad it's an interesting one. I would have liked to see a big time lights out recruiter at both of the open coaching spots. But I think given a choice between the two you take a solid teaching coach at LB. I definitely want to see a strong recruiter brought in at the RB coach spot. Also interesting to me is the signal this potentially sends on Ward's assessment of the T2 scheme as it's being umplemented here. He's obviously doubling down (as is Babers) with this hire. But what it signals about the defensive staff's mastery of the scheme is unclear (to me at least). I can see part of the logic being to bring this guy in as a chance for the younger staff to learn from a master. Interested to hear other thoughts.
Well said.

GTech and FSU's game of hang man say "hey"

Shafer had bad games on D and it seems less horrific due to fewer possessions.

Um yea, his bad games on D were as HC. I get it. But 76 by a team like pitt? We were embarrassed every game minus VT. Shafers D was rocking when dougie was at the helm. We had an attacking style that was killing it.

"There are no guarantees. But the guy w/ prior experience at the same job on the same level is more likely to pan out than the guy who has never worked on that level before."

That's what I wrote.

I will automatically assume that (insert P5 program here)'s position coach/coordinator/head coach is probably better than (insert fcs/D3/high school here)'s head coach, even if the guy has coached at the lower level longer. That's inclusive of MWC coaches.

I'm glad you like Tim Daoust. Your feelings towards him aren't really relevant to anything that I said, but I'm glad that you like him.

***Admittedly, I misread his bio. DC at CSU and Tulane isn't bad at all. I don't know why, but I thought that he was a DC at the D3 level and HC at the HS level. I retract my disappointment in the hire.***

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom