Steve Stanard new linebackers coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Steve Stanard new linebackers coach

Um yea, his bad games on D were as HC. I get it. But 76 by a team like pitt? We were embarrassed every game minus VT. Shafers D was rocking when dougie was at the helm. We had an attacking style that was killing it.

Lots and lots of reasons before you get to system: non-ACC size, recruited for Shafer's system, offense gives extra possessions, offense gave even more possessions due to inefficiency (3 and outs, stalled drives). Shafer played it super safe on offense to the point of madness to protect his defense. When he was D coordinator, we def won some games with his attacking style. But note that was vs Big East teams and generally weaker schedules.

I'll just add that Pitts offense last year was one of the best in the ACC.

"There are no guarantees. But the guy w/ prior experience at the same job on the same level is more likely to pan out than the guy who has never worked on that level before."

That's what I wrote.

I will automatically assume that (insert P5 program here)'s position coach/coordinator/head coach is probably better than (insert fcs/D3/high school here)'s head coach, even if the guy has coached at the lower level longer. That's inclusive of MWC coaches.

I'm glad you like Tim Daoust. Your feelings towards him aren't really relevant to anything that I said, but I'm glad that you like him.

***Admittedly, I misread his bio. DC at CSU and Tulane isn't bad at all. I don't know why, but I thought that he was a DC at the D3 level and HC at the HS level. I retract my disappointment in the hire.***
I mentioned Daoust to point out how good coaches are everywhere at different levels. Tim was a MAC coach before he got his ACC D line gig. The D line performed well under him. 'That was the point. George McDonald had a ton of P5 and NFL experience and he wasn't good. Cant assume a guy is better because he coached at a higher level. As bad a Lester's offense was, it was still better than McDonald and Lester came from a D3 school.

Last edited:
I mentioned Daoust to point out how good coaches are everywhere at different levels. Tim was a MAC coach before he got his ACC D line gig. The D line performed well under him. 'That was the point. George McDonald had a ton of P5 and NFL experience and he wasn't good. Cant assume a guy is better because he coached at a higher level. As bad a Lester's offense was, it was still better than McDonald and Lester came from a D3 school.
This is a dumb post because it ignores statistics. Yes, everybody starts somewhere. But just because Jebron James played basketball in middle school doesn't mean that a random 7th grader is going to smoke James Harden.

Pointing out a random success story doesn't prove anything other than it's possible. I never said that it wasn't possible. I said that it wasn't probable.

Bringing up McD is stupid for the same reason.

And once again, for the 4th time (I said it twice in my last post), although there are no guarantees, you can assume that the P5 guy is probably better than the G5/fcs/DIII/High School guy. Otherwise, the school w/ the massive systemic advantages would make him an offer that's very hard to refuse.

I have absolutely no idea how you find that even remotely controversial.

This is a dumb post because it ignores statistics. Yes, everybody starts somewhere. But just because Jebron James played basketball in middle school doesn't mean that a random 7th grader is going to smoke James Harden.

Pointing out a random success story doesn't prove anything other than it's possible. I never said that it wasn't possible. I said that it wasn't probable.

And once again, for the 4th time (I said it twice in my last post), although there are no guarantees, you can assume that the P5 guy is probably better than the G5/fcs/DIII/High School guy. Otherwise, the school w/ the massive systemic advantages would make him an offer that's very hard to refuse.

You lost me when you called out one of the better posters on the boards for posting something "dumb" Dude we get it you think this is a terrible hire, move on with your life.

You lost me when you called out one of the better posters on the boards for posting something "dumb" Dude we get it you think this is a terrible hire, move on with your life.
No. I called his post dumb. Learn to read.

I also literally said "***Admittedly, I misread his bio. DC at CSU and Tulane isn't bad at all. I don't know why, but I thought that he was a DC at the D3 level and HC at the HS level. I retract my disappointment in the hire.***"

Notice the bold, and, once again, learn to read.

No. I called his post dumb. Learn to read.

I also literally said "***Admittedly, I misread his bio. DC at CSU and Tulane isn't bad at all. I don't know why, but I thought that he was a DC at the D3 level and HC at the HS level. I retract my disappointment in the hire.***"

Notice the bold, and, once again, learn to read.

Lol you win the award for classiest poster of the year, good job.
1. I can read
2. I said you called him for posting something dumb, which if I'm reading that right (as you said I can't read) is not calling him dumb
3. Yep still can read

And once again, You refuse to factor in the 15 years of coordinator experience. I told you, if you are comparing position coach to position coach. I can somewhat agree with you. The school can safely higher the guy with p5 experince ( but it doesn't ALWAYS mean he's better). In my experience , the 15 year coordinator experience overseeds a p5 positional coach with limited experience. SU admins can't afford to pay for a high level p5 positional coach. We are not LSU or Bama. They will pay for a young guy or a old coach whose been around forever and is not looking to get paid alot. Be careful with the dumb and stupid comments though. It doesnt bother me, just dont want you getting senstive when I use those words with you. I can play that game too but I try to respect everyones opinions whether I agree or not, and I try to do it without insulting people.

Last edited:
Nice bringing in a guy with so much experience. Special teams will be well taken cared of and now you can trust a former HC and coordinator to develop the RB's and DE's.

Last edited:
He lost me at "JeBron James," haha.

Very true, Daoust had a way with college kids. He really did. He was infectious. My favorite assistant ever at the Cuse. Well, second to Shaf when he was an assistant:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom