Steve Stanard to Kansas State | Syracusefan.com

Steve Stanard to Kansas State

In the long run, good move for both Syracuse University and Stanard. This gives DC White a chance to bring in someone he trusts that is familiar with running/teaching the 3-3-5 and all its variations. For Stanard, new chance to audition for an eventual coordinators job. Go Orange!!!!!!

I'm a little disappointed he's leaving, particularly a few days before Spring Practice begins. Thought he was one of our better coach/recruiter combos. Guessing he was disappointed he didn't get the permanent DC job-It's not like he's going to Alabama. The connection to K-State makes sense, as their HC was previously North Dakota State HC, where Stanard previously coached his Defense.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in, likely someone with 3-3-5 experience. White will have to be the defacto LB coach until that time.

Last edited:
Wow seems like a less than ideal time to lose a staff member right before spring practice. But it does provide an opportunity for White to get his own guy

If this is correct it is a big loss. I know others probably will disagree but in my opinion it would have been better to have standard coach the DL instead of Reynolds. In my opinion I felt standard did a better job at coaching up the players. I’m sure others have a different opinion. I would have replaced Reynolds with someone who was familiar with the 3-3-5 to coach LB.
however this move does allow HCDB to bring in someone with knowledge of the 3-3-5 to coach the LB. Provided someone is available at this late date and spring practice starting Sunday.

I wish him well and agree that this is an opportunity to bring in a guy familiar with the new defense and maybe familiar with the new DC.

They couldn't have known too long ago because the KSU position just opened a week ago when their DC/LB coach left for MSU.

I meant more that he was probably going to leave to go somewhere else...maybe not that exact position but I could be wrong

I'm a little disappointed he's leaving, particularly a few days before Spring Practice begins. Thought he was one of our better coach/recruiter combos. Guessing he was disappointed he didn't get the permanent DC job-It's not like he's going to Alabama. The connection to K-State makes sense, as their HC was previously North Dakota State HC, where Stanard previously coached his Defense.

My guess is this was mutual. I don't think it had anything to do with the DC job. It had been open for months. No room for him on the DL and while we do have an open LB position, we maybe wanted to go in White's direction and for Steve the KSU opening gets him back to a guy he probably liked working for in a familiar system. Win win really.

(He’s a good coach, I’d guess we would have kept him but doesn’t appear as If we tried to)

Last edited:
If this is correct it is a big loss. I know others probably will disagree but in my opinion it would have been better to have standard coach the DL instead of Reynolds. In my opinion I felt standard did a better job at coaching up the players. I’m sure others have a different opinion.

I think the job they've done over their time at Syracuse has been about equal. You could make a case for either one but Stanard is going to get credit for the two DEs getting into the league. (though Alton's production fell off a cliff this past season.)

IDK, I always see these things as opportunities to improve the staff.

My guess is this was mutual. I don't think it had anything to do with the DC job. It had been open for months. No room for him on the DL and while we do have an open LB position, we maybe wanted to go in White's direction and for Steve the KSU opening gets him back to a guy he probably liked working for in a familiar system. Win win really.

(He’s a good coach, I’d guess we would have kept him but doesn’t appear as If we tried to)
I respectfully disagree. If they wanted to let Stanard go, they could and would have done so. Disappointed Stanard would do this to Dino so late in the game/close to Spring practice after Dino gave him a shot to audition for DC last year and kept him on after the new DC came in, when he could have dumped him for a 3-3-5 LB coach when he hired White.
There's a limited amount of guys with 3-3-5 experience and some might be hesitant to leave their job so late in the process. Will be interesting to see who they get and whether White looks back at his SDSU roots for the position.

I respectfully disagree. If they wanted to let Stanard go, they could and would have done so. Disappointed Stanard would do this to Dino so late in the game/close to Spring practice after Dino gave him a shot to audition for DC last year and kept him on after the new DC came in, when he could have dumped him for a 3-3-5 LB coach when he hired White.
There's a limited amount of guys with 3-3-5 experience and some might be hesitant to leave their job so late in the process. Will be interesting to see who they get and whether White looks back at his SDSU roots for the position.
Looking at Jordan Thomas current DL coach at SDSU. Jordan Thomas - Football Coach - SDSU Athletics

Last edited:
If you give him a 2-year deal then you can get someone to come, especially if he’s a 3-3-5 guy connected to White.

If you give him a 2-year deal then you can get someone to come, especially if he’s a 3-3-5 guy connected to White.
We'll get somebody to come, I'm not worried about that. Just might be a couple of coaches who would be hesitant. The timing is tough, but coaches everywhere seem to come and go all the time now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom