Still bothers me to THIS day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Still bothers me to THIS day

We had 'em.

Too bad -- I feel like that really detracted from Moten's legacy.
Odd take as he is the all time leading scorer at SU with his # hanging in the dome. Moten and Stevie are the two best under the radar recruits that JAB ever got that went on to contribute for all four years.

Odd take as he is the all time leading scorer at SU with his # hanging in the dome. Moten and Stevie are the two best under the radar recruits that JAB ever got that went on to contribute for all four years.

Stevie wasn’t under the radar. One of those preseason mags like street and smith had him rated in the top 10 I think.

To clarify for those who don’t know, because it doesn’t specify in the clip, Jackson didn’t call the time out. It was Moten.

And Moten had a similar brain fart the week before at the BE tournament, getting called for five seconds when we had a chance to win the game.

Back to the Arkansas game. I almost got kicked out of the dorms over this.

Those announcers pissed me off cause they kept blaming Luke. The PA announcer made the right call. But because of the announcers there were still people after the fact, even some of our fans, that blamed Luke. I felt bad for the kid.

It's not remotely odd -- he IS one of our program greats, but isn't remembered as reverentially as some others, in no small part due to that outcome in his final game.

It's not altogether different than Billy Owens, who was an elite recruit and an amazing player -- but his legacy gets tainted a bit because his final two games were losses in the first round of the BET [after we led Villanova by 18], and in the first round of the NCAA tournament, becoming the first ever #2 seed to lose to a #15.

Let's not pretend that those outcomes didn't impact the way that those players are viewed. Obviously, die hards don't let that color their view, but overall? Yeah, it had an effect.

Last edited:
It’s the 2003 win, as least for me...I still get very very upset, no doubt, but before that it was the whole “I’m going to die before we win one” deal in my head.

Ya know, the one Bills fans still deal with
True story…..I was in New Orleans with my family. At either halftime of the Kansas/Marquette game or between the two semis, I have a pretty long discussion with a guy who I find out out was from Toronto. Toronto, at the time, had a massive SARS outbreak.

Not long after SU beats Texas I start to feel sick…..like really ill. Sick to the point of a complete inability to get out of bed at the hotel room. Inability to go to any of the great New Orleans eateries my Dad was taking us or had reservations for. All I could think of was…..Here is SU at the doorstep of the national title. I have been to the two games in Boston, the two in Albany and the semis. I have tickets to the title game and I am going to croak before the championship and never see it.

Monday morning, I start to rally and semi-drag myself to The pep rally before the game IIRC and head to The Superdome for an experience I will never forget.

I agree that one win took the starch out of some of the crushing SU losses since then.

SUOrange44

Those announcers pissed me off cause they kept blaming Luke. The PA announcer made the right call. But because of the announcers there were still people after the fact, even some of our fans, that blamed Luke. I felt bad for the kid.
Yup. And it was an incredible play by Luke.

Should’ve went down as one of the all time great defensive plays at SU.

I was 8 years old for 1991 Richmond so I kind of knew what was going on and that my family was depressed, but I wasn't really emotionally invested yet. That 1995 Arkansas game when I was 12 was the first SU basketball game that genuinely devastated me. Like it's one thing to lose if you just play crappy like 2005 Vermont, but to shoot yourself in the foot like that was soul-crushing.

I was 8 years old for 1991 Richmond so I kind of knew what was going on and that my family was depressed, but I wasn't really emotionally invested yet. That 1995 Arkansas game when I was 12 was the first SU basketball game that genuinely devastated me. Like it's one thing to lose if you just play crappy like 2005 Vermont, but to shoot yourself in the foot like that was soul-crushing.

Richmond was just so embarrassing. They said it over and over, first #2 to lose to a 15. I mean, it's bad now when it happens, but it was earth altering back then.

Arkansas was a gut punch. They were the defending national champs, made it to the title game. We could have really made a run.

The basketball Gods were kind to us the following year, and I made the most of celebrating that.

Richmond was just so embarrassing. They said it over and over, first #2 to lose to a 15. I mean, it's bad now when it happens, but it was earth altering back then.

Arkansas was a gut punch. They were the defending national champs, made it to the title game. We could have really made a run.

The basketball Gods were kind to us the following year, and I made the most of celebrating that.

After Richmond and then 3 straight years of losing in OT in the tourney, that ‘96 run was the most needed thing ever. I remember just being shocked that we pulled off the Georgia and Kansas games because I was so used to the crushing tourney loss.

Same- I was 15, and that Arkansas game was crushing. I just remember being sick to my stomach, lying in my bed staring at the ceiling.

Butler 2010 was the closest since then to that feeling…

Then Arizona, S Carolina, Iowa St, Duke, etc. happened.

1649290859914.png

And then Virginia wiped us all off the front page. Wa Hoo Wa!

True story…..I was in New Orleans with my family. At either halftime of the Kansas/Marquette game or between the two semis, I have a pretty long discussion with a guy who I find out out was from Toronto. Toronto, at the time, had a massive SARS outbreak.

Not long after SU beats Texas I start to feel sick…..like really ill. Sick to the point of a complete inability to get out of bed at the hotel room. Inability to go to any of the great New Orleans eateries my Dad was taking us or had reservations for. All I could think of was…..Here is SU at the doorstep of the national title. I have been to the two games in Boston, the two in Albany and the semis. I have tickets to the title game and I am going to croak before the championship and never see it.

Monday morning, I start to rally and semi-drag myself to The pep rally before the game IIRC and head to The Superdome for an experience I will never forget.

I agree that one win took the starch out of some of the crushing SU losses since then.

SUOrange44
The thread name is things that bother me to this day
We’ll in that case for me it’s Keith Smart’s shot.

I'm so glad that I've either hit an age, or have been beaten down by them so often, that I don't get as upset at any loss as I was that night.
It could be that the stakes just haven’t been that high the past several years. As a 10 seed you’re just thrilled to win any game but realize the coach will eventually turn back into a pumpkin.

That Arkansas loss, though, I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was a zombie in school the next day.

Yes the Arkansas debacle hurt bad.

And I have a friend - a co-worker at the time - who periodically afterwards would begin conversations with me by saying, "Time out...should we..etc., etc."
I would just look at her and say, "Not funny."
Somehow we're still friends.

I can only hope I stick in your craw
You are replying to yourself so I’m not sure who this is even directed to. Suffice to say your contributions to the this thread will go down as some of the more bizarre to any thread in recent memory.

It could be that the stakes just haven’t been that high the past several years. As a 10 seed you’re just thrilled to win any game but realize the coach will eventually turn back into a pumpkin.

That Arkansas loss, though, I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was a zombie in school the next day.

But we weren’t seeded high that year either. That team really underperformed relative to their talent level and should never have been in a situation to have to play an Arkansas in round 2

But we weren’t seeded high that year either. That team really underperformed relative to their talent level and should never have been in a situation to have to play an Arkansas in round 2
I think it was more that we had the game WON on a fantastic play and then the rug gets pulled from us.

I remember this well and like others I was devastated. We played great and had the win. That was at a time when we had a stretch of painful losses in the tournament dating back to 88 and Rhode Island….89 Illinois…..90 Minnesota….91 Richmond….92 UMass….93 Probation….94 Missouri…..so yeah that Arkansas game was the cherry on top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom