Still conflicted a bit about frank’s suspension | Syracusefan.com

Still conflicted a bit about frank’s suspension

jgeorge322

Living Legend
First, i know im likely to get crushed in this thread.

Second, i am not a legalize it and toke up on the streets type of guy, although i do live in brooklyn and thats pretty much how it is in my neighborhood.

But assuming frank failed a drug test for weed, i feel its so dumb to even test for that. Honestly, who the hell cares. It doesnt enhance performance. It stays in your system so long that someone could smoke 4 weeks before a test and still fail it. Its less damaging than alcohol. If a player wants to smoke and it hurts performance, well thats what the bench is for.

I know rules are rules and blah blah blah but I really dont get why syracuse tests for it. Someone tell me one benefit to the university that results from a weed test?

I think its slightly sad franks career ended that way. And even worse that it impacted our season.

First, i know im likely to get crushed in this thread.

Second, i am not a legalize it and toke up on the streets type of guy, although i do live in brooklyn and thats pretty much how it is in my neighborhood.

But assuming frank failed a drug test for weed, i feel its so dumb to even test for that. Honestly, who the hell cares. It doesnt enhance performance. It stays in your system so long that someone could smoke 4 weeks before a game and still fail the test. Its less damaging than alcohol. If a player wants to smoke and it hurts performance, well thats what the bench is for.

I know rules are rules and blah blah blah but I really dont get why syracuse tests for it. Someone tell me one benefit to the university that results from a weed test?
I live in brooklyn also, but i toke on the streets everyday.

Diff btwn me and frank is no one is drug testing me. Either way, i agree it’s an absurd thing to test for when you consider how long it stays in your system

I'm all for legalizing pot but when your an athlete you know you can't do it. He put his priorities ahead of the team

Missing my point slightly. Wth does syracuse test for it. Its easier not to test than legalize pot. I want someone to give me one sound reason why syracuse tests for it. How it benefits the university.

The NCAA tests for it after every tournament game. If you fail an NCAA post-game test, both the player and the school are ******. If the player fails a weed test, he's automatically suspended for half the next season. And we all know what happens if the school uses an ineligible player.

The benefit of SU testing beforehand is that you only face school discipline instead of NCAA punishment.

Missing my point slightly. Wth does syracuse test for it. Its easier not to test than legalize pot. I want someone to give me one sound reason why syracuse tests for it. How it benefits the university.

The NCAA tests for it during the tourney.

I thought the NCAA tests for it at the tournament and so SU does preemptive testing to prevent surprises.

The NCAA tests for it after every tournament game. If you fail an NCAA post-game test, both the player and the school are ******. If the player fails a weed test, he's automatically suspended for half the next season. And we all know what happens if the school uses an ineligible player.

The benefit of SU testing beforehand is that you only face school discipline instead of NCAA punishment.

A player is declared ineligible retroactively for failing a weed test, and the school can somehow be punished for playing this retroactively ineligible player? Id need to see the text of the ncaa rule before believing that.

Its their policy. If you know its against the rules don't do it.

A player is declared ineligible retroactively for failing a weed test, and the school can somehow be punished for playing this retroactively ineligible player? Id need to see the text of the ncaa rule before believing that.

The NCAA may or may not vacate your win and kick you out of the tournament. Track and field athletes have their medals taken away all the time. They will make you forfeit your NCAA Tournament money.

And now that you're a "problem child" the NCAA will come sniffing around your program to see what else they can uncover.

You really don't want that.

The NCAA may or may not vacate your win and kick you out of the tournament. Track and field athletes have their medals taken away all the time. They will make you forfeit your NCAA Tournament money.

And now that you're a "problem child" the NCAA will come sniffing around your program to see what else they can uncover.

You really don't want that.

Id bet more than 50% of d1 bball players smoke weed. Im shocked so many avoid suspension, just based on law of large numbers.

Id bet more than 50% of d1 bball players smoke weed. Im shocked so many avoid suspension, just based on law of large numbers.
Sure just like prob 50 pct of drivers speed and don't get caught. You have to.be smarter than that with the biggest game of your life coming up.

I meant w the ncaat

So is the indefinite suspension until frank could pass a pee test?

Under SU's policy, Frank would face either a 1 game or a 3 game suspension, he would have to test clean, and he may have to attend drug counseling before he's cleared to return to action (not sure if that's for a 1st or 2nd offense).

You really can't just say it's a 1 game suspension if he's still pissing reefer a week later. Buy some herbal tea for crying out loud.

Sure just like prob 50 pct of drivers speed and don't get caught. You have to.be smarter than that with the biggest game of your life coming up.

I get your point. Im not necessarily arguing he shouldnt have gotten himself suspended but appreciate that thought.

Under SU's policy, Frank would face either a 1 game or a 3 game suspension, he would have to test clean, and he may have to attend drug counseling before he's cleared to return to action (not sure if that's for a 1st or 2nd offense).

You really can't just say it's a 1 game suspension if he's still pissing reefer a week later.

Right, that was my thought.

Also, if you know the test is coming and know youre gonna fail, you should at least have a contingency plan in place to get around it. There must have been one person around his crew with a clean sample.

I know it’s dishonest, but I see no ethical quandry in the context of pot due to how long it stays in the system. But I’m a lazy millenial and I’m sure the older folks here will tsk tsk how little i care about cheating the system to get ahead

The fact that the system is so easily worked around tells you that the "adults" no the percentage of weed users is high so let all schools know when testing is. Sort of be like a trooper publicizing a dwi check point.

Philosophically, I agree.

But reality being what it is, it’s dumb and selfish to be a high level athlete and still do it during the middle of the season.

If it was HGH or something involving trying to heal the broken foot, then I feel about differently though.

The fact that the system is so easily worked around tells you that the "adults" no the percentage of weed users is high so let all schools know when testing is. Sort of be like a trooper publicizing a dwi check point.

Also tells you that the attitude is let's do the minimum we have to make clear that we don't condone recreational drug use (which is still illegal) without trying to actually eradicate it.

It's kind of like the wink and nod treatment of alcohol. Virtually all college kids are under the legal age to consume alcohol, yet it's largely ignored except in a case where they do something that embarrasses the school or gets someone killed.

Do we even know FOR SURE it was a failed drug test period , let alone what it was for ?